Thread: Where The Action Is

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeff

You are right . I never hear Jeff blow his on horn. If you coundnt get along with Jeff you had a problem.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reunion

Quote Originally Posted by sbirbarie View Post
    Perfect description Wayne. The only other adjectives I can add would be modest and humble. Never one to revel in his glory and always glad to share his knowledge, as were his dad and brother Bill. A true legend.

I will start digging through my "stuff" and post more soon. Keep up the great work I'm sure I speak for many who also marvel at your recall, photos and stories.
    I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but Skip, did you get/see the information about the reunion? e-mail me at jschubert@wi.rr.com

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only Hutchins I ever knew was Jeff, although I know Bill was racing at some of the places I raced at the same time. Most specifically... Lakeland, Florida because I saw his name in the same results. I never met his Dad either, but the Hutchin's family should have their own thread on the encyclopedia. I don't know enough about the family to start it. I hope someone who does will.

Thanks Jungle Jim thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

These are the pics I was going to post when I suddenly came upon Hutch's last post. The family now has there own thread. Check it out, and please add to it if you have something.

These are from Lake Charles 1979. It was a Professional Poweboat Association event oraganized by Bill Seebold and Lee Sutter, amongst others on the ground. These were part of a group with bad lighting as the sun was going down. Don't like to toss anything historical so I tried to make something out of these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe it's been that long since I posted photos here. Just scanned these an hour ago while looking for some other photos. These were some years after I retired, but I took a lot of photos. Don't know exactly where yet because I didn't write in the venue or year. I think it's Lakeland in 1993, but not sure. Like to have input. What I have looked at so far don't remind me of Lakeland, but when I was there, I took a lot of pics from a boat and not from the pits, so the background is not familiar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jeff Lytle, Duke Johnson thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle, crewman060, Duke Johnson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting Wayne. Still love the lines of John's hydros.
    Looks like Treb picked up a win that day.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default f-66

got home and looked at pictures on big screen.james aderholt doesnt look much different now than then.excellent photos as always Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like

These pics are from the very early 80's.If they are from Lakeland,it's probably the 1981 PRO Nationals
    N-66 Pete Voss in a John Yale hydro
    F-8 Trebor Billiter 500cc Yale hydro
    N-33 Chick Larose 250cc Butts
    E-18 Macolm Harden 250cc Butts
    F-888 Tim Small driving Elmer Grade's 250cc Yale
    H-4 Dan Kirts driving a very early Schumacher
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Nydahl View Post
    These pics are from the very early 80's.If they are from Lakeland,it's probably the 1981 PRO Nationals
    N-66 Pete Voss in a John Yale hydro
    F-8 Trebor Billiter 500cc Yale hydro
    N-33 Chick Larose 250cc Butts
    E-18 Macolm Harden 250cc Butts
    F-888 Tim Small driving Elmer Grade's 250cc Yale
    H-4 Dan Kirts driving a very early Schumacher
    I agree Pete that the F888 is a Yale but both pictures have a 4 cylinder on the transom. Most likely it was Jim Stone driving for Elmer as yes Tim just drove the 250
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, you just jogged my memory. I did go to the 1981 Nationals at Lakeland, but it wasn't at the regular race course. It was some course I had never been to, and there was some kind of large open air structure where a party was held. I was by myself. Other than racing in Europe, this was the first race I ever attended where no one from my pit crew attended including my Dad. I was planning on doing a story for Powerboat, but I was kind of bummed out because of things going on back at the business, and with all the south texas heat my negatives developed to fast, and my notes were not good so I didn't do it. I didn't even label the negative pages. I had only one boat that I carried on the top of the Suburban. It was a D Konig that Ron Anderson reworked for us and was the last and most powerful engine we ever had. Unfortunately I had a broken flywheel (only time that ever happened to us) and I bought a new one from Scott. When I tightened it down, it was too long and mashed down against the crankcase. The engine would not rev at all. Took a little while to figure it out, and by that time all I could do was have somebody ground off some metal for me. Got it running, but I was so out of shape I could not keep up with Jerry Kirts. I only made two more races before I was done.

John, you are not correct about Jim. Elmer Grade was firmly behind Hydroplanes International and our quest to bring international racing to the U.S. Jim was in his qualifying laps for the UIM OD World Championships at Laredo, Texas when he was killed. Also, Jim did not set that way in a boat. He was more wedged in to the right side with a leg back behind him. Could be Jeff Hutchins, but I'm not sure when Jeff started driving for Elmer.

Thread Information