Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 3

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

still not being able to post pictures. Some of it has to do with upgrading my photo program. I didn't want to do it, but the powers that be would not let me do anything until I did it. Now I cannot post because my security system rejects it. My IT guy installed the security and everything, so I hope in the next couple of days I can post photos again. Everythings ready to go whenever all this security and lightening stuff is resolved.

Thanks Jeff Lytle, crewman060 thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. The IT guy was supposed to be here yesterday afternoon. The part came in this morning, but he's been hooked up in Alice all day. Will be here tomorrow, but Debbie and I are packing up to head to East Texas to visit our daughter, son-in law and grandkids. Soonest I can get back to this is a week to 10 days. Put the rotary valve parts up until I get back.

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is fixed and the downloading problem with the camera too. Depending on tomorrow's schedule, I should be able to post pictures of both rotary valve advancement types.

Post Thanks / Like

The original rotary valve advancement design was incorporated into the flywheel. Three slots were cut into the top of the flywheel and pins were installed. The flywheel was taken apart and machined so that the top part moved freely from the part that was anchored to the top of the crankshaft. I don't have any of the springs left, but we had a partitioned plastic box with assorted springs of the proper length, but with different size wires and tensions. We started out with medium tensions in all three springs. As testing went on we tried different combinations of springs, some with all three the same, and sometimes with one or two springs of different tensions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the second photo didn't get posted. Here it is. Sorry....the second photo finally showed up, but I do not know how to delete this now unnecessary post.

Likes crewman060, Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whoh! Never realized there was spring tensioned valve movement possibilities on the hub and the valve shaft as well.
    They were used separately and not together right Wayne?

AND.....Dieter never knew about this right?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Jeff, they were used separately. The flywheel shown above was the first attempt at rotary valve adjustment when underway. It worked erratically and in my belief, it would change the timing initially while accelerating, but I think when the RPM's stabilized the timing would move back toward the initial timing less what drag the valve itself created. I will review some of the tests we did to see what we learned.

I do not know if Dieter ever knew about the devices or not, but would not be surprised if he didn't know. Until it was first mentioned on BRF, I thought it was a fairly well kept secret. The only people I knew that played around with it were Ray Hardy, Bill Van Steenwyk, Tim Butts and our team. I did not know Harry Pasturczak was making them for other boat racers. Now I have learned that Mike Schmidt, Bill Boxell, Fred Hauenstein and others played around with it. I'm not sure where theirs came from or what results they had. I do know that Dieter's philosophy was to keep things simple and make a motor that someone that was not especially mechanically inclined could be competitive with. So, I think that even if Dieter was aware of the devices, he would not build them unless they made a really big difference, which they didn't.

Likes Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at a bunch of test sheets today. I didn't remember that we had also bought Marshall Grant's B motor. He had all new motors that we bought in 1974 except for the D and F. The first test sheets of these I wrote that they were set up with Marshall's original specs.

It was shortly after that we began testing with the first rotary valve advancement. Looking back at those sheets, we had lots of troubles. Not to do with the rotary valve advance gizmo, but it seems a wonder we ever won any races given the problems we had with the motors when testing. In a few tests with a B we must have done over a dozen tests over a couple of days and even rebuilt the motor in between. Same with Marshall's C motor. I have not finished going through the test book, but when I do I will pick some pages to post.

Likes Jeff Lytle, Powerabout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone through most of the test book, but not finished yet. I have confirmed that the initial valve advancement was very spotty, and too unprovable to get reliable results.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried off and on for the past couple of weeks to scan some stuff, which I did, but could not find. I'm not sure I like my new scanner, but anyway I sat down for more than an hour with a magnifying glass and finally figured out where the scans were. Unlike my old Canon scanner this one does not file according to date scanned, but by numberical order. The problem is is that it picks the number from the deleted files. So if I had files 1 through 17 and I had previously deleted 18, then whatever I scanned would then become the new 18. This is going to be a real problem, so I have to figure out a way to change the filing system. So far it won't let me. I can rename each scan, but I cannot do that until I scan the photo, then go find it to rename it. This scanner better turn out to be good by the time I learn more about how to use it, or it might get the old sledgehammer.

Here is one of the test sheet on the B we got from Marshall Grant.

Thread Information