Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 3

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is another test sheet.

I shouldn't have posted this one because it didn't have to do with the valve advancement problem. I just saw that it was a test of the RAV which I have not posted a picture of yet. Anyway, it shows some of the kind of problems we had testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

This is a test sheet on the D Konig we got from Marshall Grant. We were having surging problems with the motor prior to Phoenix. We tried everything. We even rented a D Konig from Jim McKean, but Marshall's old D was still faster even with the problems. As a last gasp effort we changed stator plates between our D and Jim's and that cured the problem. One of the brass posts for the points was drilled slightly crooked. When setting the points the double spring was strong, but when tightend all the way tension was taken out of the springs so that over 9500 RPM's the points on one cylinder would float. This test was with CAVIV, the last generation of the rotary valve advance mechanism that was part of the flywheel assembly.

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle, F-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I won the 1976 UIM World Championship presumably with the CAVIV advance. I know we had Jim McKean's stator plate, which we removed and put back on his motor before we returned it.

Now I need to go back through the test sheets to find when we started to test the RAV. It would only be the B, C or D Konig we ran at the time. I didn't always make a test sheet or include all the information. If we were in a hurry, we would get up early in the morning before the wind would kick up and make a few runs for a particular thing we were working out then Baldy would go to the office. Fortunately, we got few complaints. Not many people close by on the lake and we knew everyone that lived in our neighborhood, and they all would show up to watch the races.

Next will be the photos of the RAV which I think the guys that ran rotary valve advancements will be familiar with, and if they have any modifications I hope they will share them.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the RAV Rotary Advance Valve. This one worked and was reliable. The one with springs had problems such as the springs scrunching up and rubbing on the crankplate and I think would restore back to more the original length while underway.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, if they find your posts a few hundred years from now, it will be like discovering the Rosetta Stone as it concerns boat racing. Hope all is well in Texas, buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your kind words Steve, but the Rosetta Stone would be Ron Hill and Ted March's Boatracingfacts. My stuff is limited to mostly Pro outboard, OPC, some mods, a little stock and some inboard and drag racing. I would hope that it never comes
    to that where the history of boat racing is buried in the sand. I can see where you are coming from though Steve since more and more shoreline is taken up with houses, no pits , no noise , no boat racing, and too many people do not like internal combustion engines.

One of these days we need to get together and have a good bull session. We're good here and hope you guys are the same.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Wayne, are you surviving the winter storm okay? Hope so.

Post Thanks / Like

We made it through Steve, but we sure were cold for awhile. We're not used to those kinds of temperatures. It was 5 days in the teens and twenties. We didn't get snow because we live on the lake and it warmed up the snow before it landed. Snow was around us 1/2 mile inland.

We were without any power for around 65 hours, then it came back on for about 5 hours, then off again for awhile, the it came back on again Friday for good except for a short period Satruday morning. It went off at 11:30 last Sunday night for the first time, and I spent Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, bringing logs inside to feed the fireplace, and stoking a fire in my halfbuilt smoker outside to cook water, and to heat up frozen food we had stored. Beans, chili, chicken and dumplings, pizza, hot dogs and gumbo. I was at it all day long for four days. Had to be careful because ice was everywhere and I didn't need to add to our misery by breaking a bone.

I used up all the small logs and tried splitting the big ones, but my axe head just bounced off. I don't know how many of you ever tried to split old live oak logs, but you have to be a lot stronger than I am these days if the logs are over 14". The USS Constitution was planked with live oak and the cannonballs just bounced off the sides. That's why the called her "Old Ironsides." So I had to burn logs 5 to 6 inshes thick.

Luckily we didn't have water problems like so many millions of Texans. My water well is 350' deep, but we had no power so no electric pumps were working in our neighborhood. I had , however, an old well that was 150 feet deep and I installed a Dempster hand pump on it in case Y2K really did happen. So we had fresh water, and some of our friends and neighbors came down to get water for drinking and flushing toilets. We have a pond just outside our front door, so I got water from there to flush the toilets. It had about 7/16 layer of ice on the surface, so I had to break through with a metal pail to fetch water for flushing.

Our Son and his friends in Austin ran out of food. The stores were empty. They started restocking though yesterday. Our Daughter and Son-in-Law in Tyler got by relatively OK. They lost power several times, but it was restored each time after not too may hours. Joe did not lose power or water and his home in Stafford, just south of Houston. Guess he and Karen must be living righteous.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A great accounting, Wayne. Glad you and yours survived it. Pity about those who lost loved ones. As my dad's old WWII Ranger buddy always closed his correspondence, "Stay Warm!"

Thread Information