Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 3

Post Thanks / Like

Norma and I will be getting in late Thursday.
    Charley and I have been trying hard to get Alan Ishii to come, but I got an email from him today saying he can't make it.
    I know Ray is disappointed too.
    Sure would love for Joe and Alan to be there.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default looking forward to seeing you guys

Yes, unfortunately for us, neither Joe nor Alan will be there. I get in late Thurs. afternoon into Tampa and then will be driving over.

Should be a great weekend of racing and vistiing with everyone.

Ray

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well....we had fun guys... didn't we.

Back to the story

Fred Hauenstein had given me an update of what was going on in Europe a not quite two weeks earlier. John Hill had won the OE World Championships followed by Michael Werner and Renato Molinari. Molinari won ON with Mark Wilson finishing second, but he didn't give the the name of the Italian who finished third. Roadovanovich from Yugoslavia was fourth. OZ was coming up the next weekend. In other news Fred talked about what was going on with the overseas racing. He said Gary Garbrecht was down in North Carolina with Reggie Fountain, Seeboold was still under contract with Mercury. Will sit out the recession and OMC will take care of Cees Van der Velden in OZ.

So when I called him September 16 about who won OZ, I didn't write it down. Joe Rome called me that same day to tell me that Tim went through the kilos at Kaukauna at 108 without pulling the pipes. They were rained out the next day.

Then I talked to Gloria Urban at APBA headquarters about the kilos scheduled for Waco. I asked about the rumour of APBA withdrawing from UIM the next year. She said she would ask John Love about it and he would call back. The info came from a story that appeared in Powerboat & Waterskiing. This was the days before fax machines and E mail so I told John I would send him a copy and he would contact Stan Fitts to check out the story and inferences. I could probably find that article if I had my P&W's organized.

Post Thanks / Like

October 10 we worked on the motor for the kilos at Waco.

October 11 we had the Annual APBA District 15 meeting in Austin, Texas at a Ramada Inn overlooking Town Lake. That was where the 200 mph barrier was cracked a few years earlier by a blown fuel hydro. E.E. "Baldy" Baldwin was elected chairman with Bill Grammar Vice-Chairman. Frances Grammer was elected the Secretary/Treasurer.

Board of Directors elected were Jim Gordon, Louis Collins, Tim Butts, Rick Clausen. The following were elected representives of the their respective categories.

Wayne Baldwin--PRO
    Pete DeLackner--Stock
    Duke Waldrop--OPC
    Dr. William C. Triplett--Region Doctor (He was also APBA doctor for many years)
    James Stanfield--Inboard

Then on the 13th I got word that Dieter made a new A and C motor. Karelson built a laydown hydro for Jim McKean, and Elmer Grade won. Won what? My notes don't say. Oh well...now I know 28 years later that I can't depend on a few scribblings to refresh my memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wayne Perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    October 10 we worked on the motor for the kilos at Waco.

Then on the 13th I got word that Dieter made a new A and C motor. Karelson built a laydown hydro for Jim McKean, and Elmer Grade won. Won what? My notes don't say. Oh well...now I know 28 years later that I can't depend on a few scribblings to refresh my memory.

Elmer won the PRO VP position? I believe that he held this post for a couple years around this time until maybe 1982 or so.

DW

Post Thanks / Like

Duh...! You're right David. I forgot about the mid season election I had written about previously. Seems like a long time for a runup to an election. We elected him to finish Mel Kirts' term, then turned around two months later to elect him for the first term of his own.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Elmer's election

Wayne:

You are still just a "little" confused. Remember our phone call regards the appointment of a PRO VP after Mel's death?? This was when the appointment of a non-PRO person was going to be made to fill out Mel's term left vacant by his death, and when that became known, noises were made to keep the PRO VP a PRO person. Hence, Ralph Donald, a previous VP, was appointed to fill out the Mel's unfinished term. The the NEXT election was when Elmer was elected as a write in. He did not get thru the nomination process by region chairman in time to be on the ballot, and ran as a write in and won.

Obviously a loss of protein problem again, and in the same area too!!

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. Bill Van....You got me there. I might have some more recall on snippets from 30 years ago than a page long memo from three months ago. As I think I recall, you were talked into running because there was another party (not to be named) that we didn't want as VP. After Elmer was drafted, we all joined behind him, including YOU. Then after Elmer won, and the results were published, my Dad offered you a 45 caliber Smith & Wesson when you came down to visit. You asked why he offered it & he said "No more votes than you got...you better carry this." That was part of your relationship with my Dad. Both you guys got off on the kidding. I don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere I noted that you had dropped out so we could all put our support toward Elmer. So what I want to know is...how much walkin' 'round money did it cost for your few votes? Ray Hardy might have voted twice. Once in Illinois and once (maybe twice) in Texas. Actually, being from Chicago.... Ray may have provided the bulk of your votes.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many votes???

Wayne:

Actually being from Chicago, Ray probably voted 15 or 20 times.

I got a grand total of about 60 votes the way I remember the situation, which was very surprising to me, because as you said I only ran to provide opposition to someone who others felt they could support, but who would have been elected, as at that point (a month or so before the election) they were the only one to follow the rule book procedure which called for nominations by region chairman, which was how you got on the ballot at that time. Mel would probably have had the job as long as he wanted it, as he was someone who could rally everyone behind his proposals, and he was smart enough to know what he didn't know about leading the PRO Category. The same feeling did not exist for the one candidate that got nominated following his death at the next election time.

So if you count Ray's 20 votes, and subtract them from the 60 I got, and then add in the support I had from the general midwest where I was (started to say "known" better) somewhat notorious, and then the Texas vote which your Dad rallied for me, he being the one whose idea it was for me to run in the first place, I probably got about 40. Maybe less if Ray really stuffed the ballot box.

Anyway it was fun, irritated certain folks,(that pleased me immensely) and also I must say that the best man finally was convinced to run, and won, who was Elmer Grade of course, and he did a great job as PRO VP for a number of years. All in all, it worked out just the way your Dad and I wanted.

I seem to remember assisting him was my "penance" for talking him into an apology he really did not want to make at the National Meeting in Chicago prior to Mel's death. If you want, you can tell that story. I keep enough stuff stirred up in my old age as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting times Bill Van. Too bad Ray and my Dad aren't still around. Just think of all the BS we could be reading.

The Kilos at Waco were held on the Brazos River on October 18 and 19, 1980. I got a call from Johnny Lattimer about some photos on the the 20th. I don't know of any that I took, unless they are part of the undeveloped film. It may be that Johnny took the photo I have hanging on my wall. If not, I don't know who took it.

We just made the one two way pass, and after Tim Butts blew over, we rigged our stuff down and helped get his rig apart and stowed away. We guessed wrong on our set up and didn't have near enough tuck. Same problem we had at Yelm, but we thought we had made enough adjustment. As usual, we ran our competition setup with a regular Konig foot, but with maybe 10mm in. We had been racing kicked in 6mm. The water was too slick though. I wasn't sure how fast we were going during the run, but I ran it about as close to the edge I figured I could get away with, but wasn't able to pull the pipes all the way up. I thought we could get an idea of where we were, then make adjustments for the next run. After Tim's deal though, we just rigged down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information