Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: An Amazing Story: Part 3

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd or greater incarnation

Hi Bill

That was a second or later generation of the "gizmo". The first generation had all the working parts in the flywheel instead of the rotary valve gear as shown in your picture. After looking at this incarnation and seeing how it probably worked, it was probably better than the first generaton in that it looks as though it would not bind in the middle of travel as easily.

Bill Van

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have pictures of both systems Bill, but the pictures you posted have a different feature than the one we ran successfully. I remember when this subject first came up, but I didn't realize it was on the Amazing Thread. I want to see your dissassembly, and also post what pics I can take of the flywheel VS later generation. But...as my mind tends to zero in on a specific subject easier than where I remembered I saw it somewhere in the past, might I make a suggestion? After we got onto the rotary valve advancement, Bill Van started a thread about it. What I would like would be for you to carry on with the pics and comments on that thread and link back to An Amazing Story so that it is easier to find. I was going to try to find what page the gadget started and with the search choice I found out other related posts all tied into Bill Van's thread. To me...it makes a good tight package with all the info in one place so we can read all about it. In any case....Cowboys fumble into 2011 and so I have to get back to fixing all the computer problems. I didn't see how the Colts did....but I will be looking forward to your pictures.

BTW Steve....if you happen to read this.....congrats to your Vikings superior performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow..look at how long this has laid dormant. When all this came up Bill Van Steenwyk and I had discussed whether or not to divulge the info. Since then I have found out that Fred Hauenstein had one, Dan Kirts had one, a guy from New York had one, .etc. of course Tim Butts had one since we were working with him on testing boat designs at that time.

Ray Hardy invented the first one. We had and tested the first three or four generations. The results were sporadic. Very good...couldn't tell....kindof good for time. Did a lot of testing...changing springs etc. Then Ray totally changed the design when he moved down to Texas and was working in our shop. The one he redesigned became more consistent and something that was able to be tested.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:

It has been so long since I discussed this on BRF I can't remember where the original idea came from for the "gadget" but I got the original thought and the idea to make the thing from a bike magazine from the late 60's that I was reading at the time. An article in it talked about an adjustable rotary valve on some type of German bike, don't remember just what kind now, and just talked about the idea, but not any details. During later conversations with Harry Pasturczak, who was doing my motor work on a "C" Konig I had just purchased, I broached the idea with him. He gave me a basic idea of how it might be done, but because of his other workload at the time did not have time to do anything with it. Ray Hardy had just either moved to Texas (or was in the process of doing so) and so Harry suggested Ray might be interested in trying to come up with something. I contacted Ray and since he was always interested in making the motors of the day go faster, had access to a lathe and mill, he immediately started on the project and very shortly I had a prototype to test.

The initial problem with the first of several was they (the movable mechanism) were in the flywheel, as you have mentioned, and it was difficult to find a bearing material that would be small enough and last and enable the internals in the flywheel to move and still do the job. Teflon was tried at first and did last for a few heats but swiftly wore out or away, and also the springs that were used to time the actuation of the valve based on RPM were very difficult to get to operate properly, and as they were of the "hardware store" variety not always exactly the same tension from one to another. We used 3 in the flywheel of the first models. I did use the valve with some success as long as the Teflon would hold up and the springs would work properly, but then had the tunnel boat accident and was not able to race anymore for several years so Ray proceeded on his own and different methods and designs (and with other racers) to accomplish movement of the valve while the motor was running.

Ray and I remained good friends, developed several Hydraulic wrenches, Stud Testers, and received several patents on same. I was the marketing guy and he was the technical person who made the products. The Name R&B Enterprises, which is the name of my company of 30 some years now, is from the initials of our first names. Unfortunately Ray passed away several years ago, but his ashes are deposited in two lakes that he raced on and enjoyed immensely, Lake DePue and Fort Bulow Lake in Alexandria.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my greatest regrets is that I did not continue to post for awhile. I stopped the Baldy thread in early 1969 and that was the year I met Bill Van, Ray Hardy and Harry Pasturczak. Bill Van was so looking forward to these posts and pictures. Well, I will start up again and do my best to honor his memory, but without his input which always was something to add to the story.

Ray did not move to Texas until well after development of the rotary valve advance had begun. Ray moved to Texas at the time the gizmo was moved from the flywheel to the shaft and gear on the rotary valve housing. The first rotary valve advance we had was made by Larry Hoeffler, a machinist friend of Steve Jones in Corpus Christi. It was made as described to us by Tim Butts who had already been testing them. We called them. CAVI, CAV II etc.. up to CAVIV. We changed to RAV when it was moved to the rotary valve. I guess it means Rotary Advance Valve. I forget.

The first mention I have found in our test data of a CAV is September 27,1974. On the 26th we test our C motor 74346 and ran a standard Konig rotary valve setup. The next day we first ran a standard Konig setup, and then a CAV II. I didn't write down what happened with our original Larry Hoeffler CAV, but it would have been either first tested or maybe modified before this run, but this is the time period we first tried one out.

Likes crewman060, Ketzer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When Ray Hardy got to Texas and was ready to set up shop, He got Baldy to get what he needed.. He found a used lathe that was enormous . It was more than 10 feet long and was maybe more. It came cheap because someone cut it almost in half in order to turn something bigger. Ray took a week to level the base and make sure that everything was level and solid. With this lathe Ray Revolutioniized the rolling pin on trailer floats. He also used thus lathe to make the last and best version of the rotary valve advancement.

Likes crewman060, Ketzer, Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the result of the first test sheet of the rotary valve advance kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will take some pictures of the valve, and post some more test sheets to everyone that can't picture what we're talking about can see it for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

my scanner broke today. lasted 10 years so can't complain. Will get back soon as get set up again.

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking for the best scanner. Things have changed a lot . Firured sin ce I get a new scanner I need to be able to have acess to things to scan. So I started to clean up my darkroom and file things away, so that I can not only find what I want, but aksi pit things back so I don't let things get so cluttered again. ince I can't hardly see anymore, I have to take things slowly, and pt things back where they belong.. I don't have my computer glassrs on an there mey me a lot of spelling errorors. I just wanted to give an update and get back to cleaning out my darkroom which has been a mess for three or more years.

Likes crewman060 liked this post

Thread Information