Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing C-77 race at the Baytown boat club during the 70s. I believe his name was Dan Waggoner or Wagner. He was an older racer who had a handicapped son that would show up on a motorcycle.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Dan Waggoner was from Flour Bluff, Texas. It is on the bay and just Southwest part of Corpus Christi, Texas. He had the letter C as part of the old Lone Star designation of Corpus Christi. Dan was the first racer to help me when we started out with merc deflector A and B
    and a Mishey hydro. His son David had a Triumph motorcycle when I first met him. Later I think he drove Honda's. He was afflicted with cerebral palsy as a result of his birth. They were very fine people. Here is a picture of Dan at Baytown in 1970, and one of David after a hard day's racing. He is leaning against the bulkhead at the Baytown Boat Club on the San Jacinto river at Highlands, Texas.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks JBW857 thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. Yes, I remember now, David was his name and when I had met him he was riding Hondas. I must have been around 14-15 when I meet them through my dad. I'm 65 now. It's amazing what one can remember from the past! I can definitely remember David by looking at how his hands were. Great memories!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to my old racing partner today. Clayton Elmer remembered CS Busby. He raced against him in C and D hydro. Clayton says he was from Waco and thought he had a marine business. Maybe that might help you track down his family. Joe Richardson may have known him. I don't know if Joe is still around. JRich is a member here and if he looks at this thread, he may have some ideas.

In 1967 we were at a boat racer's party at Dan and Blanche Waggoner's house in Flour Bluff. David asked if I wanted to take a ride with him on his Triumph. I said sure. I climbed on behind him and he putted out to Waldron Road close to his house. A long straightaway. He eased up to about twenty five or thirty, then he punched it. I had to grab him around the waist to keep from falling off the back. Because of the way his hands were shaped, he had a strange kind of grip and to shift he had to move his body around in sort of a jerk. So every time he made a quick shift, the bike and us jerked a quick left then back to the right to straighten up. In an instant we we up to about 90 and neither of us had helmets. He still had throttle left and I didn't know how fast we would be going when I got killed, but fortunately he backed off and turned around for a leisurely ride back to the party. The whole speed burst lasted only a few seconds, but I got a very good respect for David's ability to drive his motorcycle like that. unfortunately his skills could not prevent a stupid driver from hitting him. He was on one of his Honda's when he was killed in Corpus Christi.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I had no idea David was killed on his motorcycle. Thanks for posting.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad Howard Sandoz used to race in the 50's in the Houston area....I was born in '62 and never witnessed this.

Baytown Boat Club?

Probably no one around that remembers him.

Dad is still around and has a large display case of trophies.

Now....he loves restoring old Wizards when he's able.....some Mercury's too.

I'll inherit them some day

IF YOU KNOW OR KNOW OF MY DAD....PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cocacola View Post
    My dad Howard Sandoz used to race in the 50's in the Houston area....I was born in '62 and never witnessed this.

Baytown Boat Club?

Probably no one around that remembers him.

Dad is still around and has a large display case of trophies.

Now....he loves restoring old Wizards when he's able.....some Mercury's too.

I'll inherit them some day

IF YOU KNOW OR KNOW OF MY DAD....PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

CORRECTION: He was in the BAYSHORE BOAT CLUB....Not Baytown

Thread Information