Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Dale Sellers drove 250 cc Hydro and was good at it. I was just talking with Denny Henderson about him and thought that I would post some pictures of him. We have some great memories of him when we were all members of the Lone Star Boat Racing Association. Bobby Wilson and Dale were a "tuff" team to beat!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dale Sellers

Photo No.3 Wonder what happened? Maybe he blew an engine, hole in a sponson, crew deserted?...........He is flying the Lone Star flag upside down.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 04-02-2005 at 07:42 PM. Reason: forgot to reference the picture

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dale Sellers

Some people would think we were crazy to spend a weekend getting beat up, standing in water for hours on end,skimming and flying plywood (as Jim McKean said) over the water at bone breaking speeds for 20 bucks.

Dale Sellers not only did all that, but if memory serves me correctly he hung red iron for a living. He helped build the original Six Flags over Texas--the tall tower you drop from.

He is standing hundreds of feet above the ground and the wind starts a big beam spinning around. I ask him "what do you do?" He said "They let one end bang into the building." He also added that you have to pay attention.

Dale....Here are some photos for you.

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Henderson ????

Second shot down, is that Denny looking at the motor?

Michael D-1

Post Thanks / Like

Default denny

yes that is goldie locks henderson.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Boat Racing Association

If you ever raced Alkies in Texas, keep tuned in. You may find a photo of yourself.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Some people would think we were crazy to spend a weekend getting beat up, standing in water for hours on end,skimming and flying plywood (as Jim McKean said) over the water at bone breaking speeds for 20 bucks.

Dale Sellers not only did all that, but if memory serves me correctly he hung red iron for a living. He helped build the original Six Flags over Texas--the tall tower you drop from.

He is standing hundreds of feet above the ground and the wind starts a big beam spinning around. I ask him "what do you do?" He said "They let one end bang into the building." He also added that you have to pay attention.

Dale....Here are some photos for you.
    Hey, I know that little gal driving the #86 boat! I sure had great fun all those years I raced against those Wilson boys and everyone else. Had fun building that boat and painting it too. I have your dad to thank, Wayne, for helping me get started with my rig. And, oh yes, "Goldie Locks Henderson" too for helping me get it set up at my first race. That got us started and after 27 years, we are still together, and still racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Antonio Flip

It was Don Nichols. He said, "It was feelin so good." It was a new aero-wing and D Konig. He ended up with a small cut over his eye. Doc Collins put a bandaid on it and told him "You ain't hurt," and sent him on his way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaumont, Texas 1978

After Ray Hardy sold his hard chrome plating plant in Chicago, he moved to Texas and raced with us Lone Star guys. For those who have raced at Beaumont know the milling area is a little tight and spectators watching from boats have a line they're not supposed to cross. Sometimes boats sneak across and they have to be told continually to move back. The dude in the yacht probably figured he had enough money to put his boat where he wanted to.

Anyway, Ray and another boat were watching the clock. At the last minute they realized they were on a collision course with the yacht. Ray was unable to steer out of the way, I think because of the boat to his inside. One of his pickleforks punctured the yacht. The owner ran up to the bow and jumped down on Ray's boat and attempted to punch him out. Of course Ray was well padded with his Lifeline jacket and helmet on. The other guy also got scratches on his ankles from Rays deck as his feet punched through the thin plywood. See the duct tape on Ray's deck where he poked through, and the taped up picklefork. I wish I could remember what was said that Ray was reponding to in the third photo.

The last I heard the owner of the Yacht sued APBA, but I never heard the outcome. Unfortunately in Texas, big money and stupidity oftentimes win out.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 04-20-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll try to post a few from the ol' days............

Jeff Hartley, my dad, Rick Hartley from the old TORA days. Funny story about the I-10 boat number on Rick's boat involving his old YO48 DeSilva and its demise and a subsequent insurance claim.

This is an alky race, probably C runabout, as it looks like our old D deflector on the T-1.

My dad.

This had to be at an alky race. Looks like Bruce Nicholson and Charlie Bailey and my dad.

Thread Information