Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud that you will fly the Texas flag Steve. The year my Dad decked Pete was 1978 at the PRO Nationals in San Antonio. I didn't know you then, but you might be in some pics I took at the driver's meeting. Regarding southern talk.. "You guy's" is kind of new. Started maybe in the 90's or so. Now starting to be a little controversial. What us southern guys have found out a century two or before that.... "ya'll" covers it all.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ya'll part sure does, I had Joe Johnson ask me once, " What do you mean when you say All Ya'll?" Don't know if that term is/was used in Texas But now it may be. Seems Joe and others did not understand when I said Ya'll that ment everyone, not just a few, so i said all ya'll Joe! that's everyone! His comment was just Oh. Some just don't get it do they Ol buddy? Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Had to find this thread again so I can post some more pictures. In the meantime I had to catch up where we left off. Hey David Weaver. You still down here in Texas. Give me a holler. I passed around Austin a few weeks ago doing 85 mph. I can get up that way in a few hours now. Joe's daughter lives in Austin, so maybe we might be able to work something out. Of course, if you could get away down here, that would be great too. Could show you my personal museum and Debbie could put together a fine meal.

Steve...how you doin? You got your Texas flag up? If you have an American flag it's legal to fly it same height. You fly the Stars and Stripes above all flags, except you can fly the Texas flag at the same level. We do it here in Texas, but I don't think other states know that when we entered the union as a republic one of the considerations was that we were an independent country and were allowed to fly our flag the same level as the American flag. I would suggest that if you have an American flag, that you fly your Texas flag on the same pole below it. This is to respect the American flag and to not create confusion and anger among neighbors who don't know the rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have to fess up to a little trap I had set. A certain particular guy would always take the bait, but it doesn't happen so much anymore. He and my Dad baited each other a lot in the earlier years, and I have to say that I helped some too.

To be an honorary Texan as has been stated previously, you had to have actually raced in Texas. Not just show up with a boat. And it had to be more than one or two races over a period of time. I had alluded to this some time back, and there happens to be a guy that has spent a lot of time in Texas, but never raced here. His wife has actually raced here and is qualified to be named one. But how do you name the wife of a racer who has spent more time in Texas than his wife, and not name him? He has actually spent more time in Texas than Alan or Johhny, but he never raced here. That was because he was seriously injured driving on of Billy Seebold's tunnel boats and was unable to get into a kneeler for a long time. Some of you may have already figured out the guy is Bill Van Steenwyk. I have not heard from him since Steve was so honored, and I hope I haven't hurt his feelings. The thing is he usually jumps straight into the trap, but not this time. So this is what I had planned to lay on him.

I was going to tell Bill Van that he and Eileen could not be honorary Texans any more than my brother Mark or my Dad Baldy. We all ARE Texans. Jim Mckean raced in Texas while still living in California. Since he moved and raced here, he became a Texan. Same with Joe Flow and Al Davis. They came from Wally Roman land, but they have been Texans for decades. Same with Clyde Queen now. Bill Van spent more time down at Baldy's than Eileen. If nothing was going on in the winter, he would fly down and spend a few days. Bill Van and Eileen are part of our family, so they are Texans. That's just the way it is. And even though Bill Van didn't race a boat here, he spent a lot of time in South Texas and just across the border with his boat building business. So...sorry Bill Van about my entrapment, but you got me this time by smelling the rotten bait and waiting me out.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Now I have to fess up to a little trap I had set. A certain particular guy would always take the bait, but it doesn't happen so much anymore. He and my Dad baited each other a lot in the earlier years, and I have to say that I helped some too.

To be an honorary Texan as has been stated previously, you had to have actually raced in Texas. Not just show up with a boat. And it had to be more than one or two races over a period of time. I had alluded to this some time back, and there happens to be a guy that has spent a lot of time in Texas, but never raced here. His wife has actually raced here and is qualified to be named one. But how do you name the wife of a racer who has spent more time in Texas than his wife, and not name him? He has actually spent more time in Texas than Alan or Johhny, but he never raced here. That was because he was seriously injured driving on of Billy Seebold's tunnel boats and was unable to get into a kneeler for a long time. Some of you may have already figured out the guy is Bill Van Steenwyk. I have not heard from him since Steve was so honored, and I hope I haven't hurt his feelings. The thing is he usually jumps straight into the trap, but not this time. So this is what I had planned to lay on him.

I was going to tell Bill Van that he and Eileen could not be honorary Texans any more than my brother Mark or my Dad Baldy. We all ARE Texans. Jim Mckean raced in Texas while still living in California. Since he moved and raced here, he became a Texan. Same with Joe Flow and Al Davis. They came from Wally Roman land, but they have been Texans for decades. Same with Clyde Queen now. Bill Van spent more time down at Baldy's than Eileen. If nothing was going on in the winter, he would fly down and spend a few days. Bill Van and Eileen are part of our family, so they are Texans. That's just the way it is. And even though Bill Van didn't race a boat here, he spent a lot of time in South Texas and just across the border with his boat building business. So...sorry Bill Van about my entrapment, but you got me this time by smelling the rotten bait and waiting me out.
    Wayne:

I kind of knew what you were doing when you posted the original info about Honorary Texans, so I just figured I would keep my mouth shut and see whether you said any more about it. Took a while but I kind of figured if I waited you out you would expound more about it later, and sure enough you did. Took me better than 40 years to figure that out but I finally did so maybe I am just in a small way starting to get back even.

I hate to say you don't know what you are talking about, BUT, you seem to have forgotten a few races I attended as a driver in Texas. At least two at Marine Creek Lake in Ft. Worth, and maybe another if they had one in that time frame, and I believe the town of Beaumont if I have the location correct, where Ray Hardy ran into the side of the Cabin Cruiser that was parked in the infield and then the drunk owner jumped down on the deck of his hydro to confront him about his actions, and lacerated his shins badly when he went thru the thin deck and bottom. One of many funny stories about Ray and his "adventures".

What was most memorable about that trip was the damage done to my Van when Jeannie Howard, after just starting to drive after I was going to sack out in the back, drove off a two lane highway in North Texas while lighting a cigarette, traveled up and over a guard rail, down an embankment, and then came to a stop about 50 feet on. Fortunately minimal damage was done to the trailer or boats and while everyone in the Van was checking themselves for injury, we started hearing a loud noise like a Jet airplane and then a train came right across in front us and missed us but about 10 feet as we had luckily come to a stop just in front of a railroad track. We did make it to Beaumont in time for the race, but repairs to the Van there, and when we got home, were almost enough to total it. Phil, her husband, had to wait at the airport for about 8 hours or so without knowing what had happened as this was before cell phones and we could not find phone numbers for anyone at the airport to get in touch with him.

At the risk of being accused of being over critical about your memory, and my strong concern for your well being, I would suggest you might want to visit your Neurologist , as I suspect that as you have lost something else upstairs, as perhaps it took brain cells with it as it disappeared..

Post Thanks / Like

I remember you at Marine Creek and Beaumont Bill Van, but I cannot remember you driving. I have photos of Eileen, but not you. I remember once you complained I didn't have many pictures of you racing, and I told you it's because you haven't been in a boat. It was a long time before you could kneel again. I got pictures of you at our house on crutches in the pits, on crutches in a field hunting doves, and standing around watching my Dad "stab himself in the belly" while gutting a deer. I have pictures of you at two different San Antonio races. I have pictures of you in Fort Worth, and I think at Beaumont too. A lot of times when I was in the same class as other drivers, I would take pictures of them while they were testing just so I could have pictures of them. Maybe I have a selective memory of you in the pits, but not on the race course. Or maybe you could never get your motor started.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I scanned some more pics of Lone Star. I have to stop here first though to remember my good friend Bill Van Steenwyk. Hard to believe that it's been that long since I posted here, but not that long since we lost Bill Van. But it kinda has because time flies. It was last year that I talked t Eileen, and that seems like forever. His words will last forever. I am very glad that we got that situation regarding Bill Van straight before he passed, because except for the rules and his accident, he would have been an honorary Texan, but instead he was a Texan because he was part of the Baldwin Family.

So now I will post some photos that were from the 1976 Pro Western Divisionals at Marine Creel. Fort Worth, Texas. I have posted B&W before and including the driver's meeting I think. ( I didn't go back to see), but there is always different angles , so someone may recognize someone they didn't see before.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, see you Dad with his life jacket?
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-27-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: trying to delete

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember "Miss Pam", BT-11, from the Baytown Boat Club. My dad used to take my brother and me there during the mid to late 70s (?), I believe it was. I remember a guy named Benny Eilers who was a hydro racer and an older guy named Dan Waggoner (spelling?) who drove, I believe, an orange yellow colored runabout, number 77. Dan had a son who had a handicap but always showed up at the races riding a motorcycle.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also remember a UT graduate named Bruce Nicholson whom I believe was champion circa 1977 - 1978.

Thread Information