Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted a little bit about it a long while back David, but many new members since then. As you know, Tim Butts was always an A/B driver. When my Dad asked him to build us an A/B hydro in 1972 he said he didn't want to at that time. He had built one for Johnny Dortch and Dick Scoponich. He wanted to build us a CDF hydro. Then after that he would build us an AB hydro. He ran one of our C or D Marchetti's...I think maybe at Hot Springs. In any case it was at one of the race courses in 1972. He delivered his first CDF hydro to us at Alexandria later that year. His first jab at the larger boats was on the money. We won lots of races with "Hookin' Bull". It was perfect for that time, but with as fast as motor technology was advancing, we knew that the D and F were already at its limits top end wise. Having only a few runs under his belt with the bigger motors, Tim came down for Thanksgiving that year and we put "Hookin' Bull" in the water for him to get some more time. Since he didn't know the upper limits, he built "Honcho". From just aft of the sponson, the outside five or six inches of the deck was flat all the way back to the chines ending at the transom. It was squared off, in a rectangular tubing kind of shape. Looking from the transom toward the front, you get a better idea than in the shot from high. The deck portion from the outside edge to the cockpit sloped down toward the back like a regular Butts. It was also much longer. Hookin' Bull was around 12-2. Honcho was up around 13 or so. Maybe even 13-2. Can't remember now. It was too long to come out of a tight corner even with a D or F, and it had very little lift. About the most the sponsons would come off the water was about 2 inches, and in those days the Butts' would fly high on smooth water. My Dad gave that boat to Marshall Grant because his Byers was not even close to being enough boat for the 8 cylinder Konig. Dan Kirts ended up with it and repainted it. Seems to me way back you had taken a picture of it at Alex and got me confused because I couldn't remember what it looked like. Tim never built another one with a deck like that. I think some of his idea was to channel air further back for a more level ride at speeds over 100, but it was not good for competition except with Marshall and later Dan's 8 cylinder Konig, and then it was really not enough boat if the lower units could have stayed together. In the pictures I have of it, it had three different paint schemes over the years, so maybe that's why you thought it may have been something entirely different.

Post Thanks / Like

I went back to some pages I placed into my binder after I got back from the Lone Star Boat Racing Association Reunion. I did not take these pictures. In fact, I was very proud to have the son of Mr. Tambareno give them to me. He was at the reunion and came up and introduced himself. His Dad took SO MANY photos of Lone Star racers that he is the only one I remember. They were all black & white. The plastic container with the 20 pics is the only bunch of color photos I ever knew him to take. They were all in the pits prior to the race. We were not there racing at that event. Don't recall why. I don't know exactly when this race was, but it was at Baytown eithere 1971 or 1972 in my best estimation. I picked out the pictures that had Joe Ricardson's rig in the pits or in the water.

I had a rare pic I posted of Mr. Tambareno from the Houston Boat Show and cooking chicken at the Baytown Boat Club in the past. All the B&W pics of my early racing career were taken by him and the best fried chicken and french fries were cooked at the Baytown Boat Club by him and his son who gave me the slides. No choices on the chicken or fries. You get a half a fried chicken and the plate filled the rest of the way with fries. They were all the real stuff. I rarely ate before racing but Baytown was an exception.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Likes Al Lang liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome!!

That's probably about right on the time. That was our old trailer and the boat still had the old paint job. What a blast from the past!!!

I would sure like to know what happened to all our old pictures and 8mm movies.

I appreciate the pics Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I'd recognize your stance anywhere, even from behind in that photo, greetings from Austria,
    Joe McCauley

Quote Originally Posted by jrome View Post
    Dale Sellers drove 250 cc Hydro and was good at it. I was just talking with Denny Henderson about him and thought that I would post some pictures of him. We have some great memories of him when we were all members of the Lone Star Boat Racing Association. Bobby Wilson and Dale were a "tuff" team to beat!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beaumont pics, post #60 , 4th pic down, #11T Me in a cloth deck Marchetti, LSBRA pics post #139 pic #5 is Donald Brady driving NE Fitzgibbons' DeSilva , There was a reason I drove hydros and Donald drove the Runabouts, of which I shall reveal at a later date-Ronald

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Red Man. Great to see you on here. Are you still chewing?

Post Thanks / Like

This is good...... Alan chiming in. Alan Ishii and Johnny Dortch are honorary Texans and Lone Star Members by official declaration at a meeting. They came and raced with us all the time and came to become friends with all the Texas bunch. Bill Van Steenwyk and Ray Hardy would have been except Bill Van didn't race during those years because of recovering from a bad flip driving Billy Seebold's tunnel in a test event, and Ray moved to Texas and joined Lone Star Boat Racing Association.

I've got a long job to head out to, but I will have pics of both Ronald and and Donald Brady after I get back. Will start to look them up now.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Alan! Naw got married, wife made me stop,been quit 20 yrs. but still want it. Sometimes I could eat the *** end out of a tobacco truck. Besides its real hard to spit out of a full face helmet. LOL more Ronald and Donald stories to follow. Sorry didn't know you could not say *** here.
    Last edited by WhiteTrash 148; 03-12-2015 at 06:08 AM. Reason: bad word

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ron, I am so happy to hear you are well and married. I am both humbled and flattered to be an Honorary Texan. Racing there was the best when Baldy was managing the races. Have so many great memories. Looking forward to reading more stories and seeing the pictures.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, my dad Norman DeLaune raced L 45.

Thread Information