Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Post Thanks / Like

There goes the state!
    Hell, Rod Walk and I raced in Texas, Rod is dead and I sure in hell don't want to be Texan.
    KURPS

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Bill, you and Rod and many others raced here, but needs to be more than a couple of times. But what's wrong with being a Texan?

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    The couple of times we came, the Texan boys were great to us, had a good time! Texas on a whole is too damn big and HOT!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Right on both counts Bill. Us guys from around Corpus Christi area and Stanley Henderson over in Del Rio always had to do a lot of driving to get to out of state races and most of the driving was through Texas. Most all of our out of state friends could drive in any direction to go to races. We had only northwest, north and northeast to drive. I'll go look for some pictures of you when you were down here Bill.

ADD: I just wish to clarify for me that it is BIG, but not TOO BIG. I really enjoyed traveling all over the country when I was racing, but when I started doing what I'm doing now, I could not get too far away, only two or three hundred miles. So until recently, for many years Debbie and I just traveled to different parts of Texas. Many times to San Antonio and Houston, but also the hill country, Big Bend, Galveston, South Padre, East Texas. West Texas, Dallas, Waco, Austin, Witchita Falls, Abilene, Fort Davis, and we still have a lot of places we've never come close to like Guadalupe Mountains, Llano Estacado, the Panhandle and many more. I've been in London, Liverpool, Moscow, Paris, Berlin, Puerto Rico, Los Angeles, San Diego and other cities I can't think of right now......and stayed in the state of Texas.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Sorry for taking so long to respond about your inquiry Steve about what it takes to become an honorary Texan. I did try right after you asked, but my computer got timed out and it all went away and I hate to go back and redo such a brilliant answer to your question. So I will try again.

There is no real way to go about becoming one. It is just the way things happen. The only criteria though was to race in Texas in the Lone Star Boat Racing Association events. Alan Ishii and Johnny Dortch used to come race with us quite a bit. Johnny and Liz even came to my Dad's to hunt with us and Jack Chance. They both hung out with Texans and became part of us. There were a few drivers that came to race with us and eventually moved to Texas so they didn't need to be honorary. There is one couple that probably should be, but because of circumstances he didn't race here. His wife did, but how can you declare her an honorary Texan without including him. So that one we may have to give some more consideration now that this has come up.

There is no committee, rules or anything laid out to give the honors. It is just a few people that just decide that's the way it ought to be, and some of them are no longer around. But, the few that's left took up your question and looked into the facts. You never raced in the Lone Star Boat Racing Association Steve, but you did drive for one of the greatest drivers in Lone Star history. If LSBRA would not have folded in the early 80's, you would have raced on our courses many times. When Joe Rome and Louis Williams bought an SK boat, you were the first one they asked to drive it. You have the right frame of mind, and BS to be an actual born and bred Texan, therefore the remaining people that bestow such honors have unanimously agreed that you, Steve Litzell, are now deemed to be an honorary Texan.
    Geee Wayne, I'm so honored to be a part of you guys. I did race at one of your races though but only one time. Also attended a race at your dads place in the 70's with Hosler as a crew man. Noting wrong with being a Texan Bill, I have a lot of friends there and those of us from the south can only understand the southern ways. Texans have a good natured sense about them and are very well grounded like most from the south. It's gonna be great now as I can now hang a Texas flag in my shop! Thanks Wayne and others for the honor and I will do my best to keep ya'll proud and the Bs flowing. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, "Southern ways" very interesting! We have been in South Carolina for coming on 14 years now, every Northern we meet here has the same problem. The Southerns all seem to distrust all Yankees. The problem is, being from Chicago we don't considered ourselves Yankee at all, we are Mid-Westerns. We treat all nationalizes the same, dislike them all. My wife tells the people here we're Born Again Southerns it help to break the ice. South Carolina is our home, love the area, and hate those damn Yankees.
    Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always said Bill, that a yankee comes to visit the beaches and such, a damned Yankees brings move in luggage. Texas at this time like Florida and some of Georgia, has had a influx of folks that leave their home states because of taxes and govt influence. They also bring the same ideas that made their states worth leaving. Go figure, You maybe a transplant Bill, but you do have the right frame of mind to be in the South. Just need to learn y'all and eat grits and shrimp, he'll just eat some grits! Steve

Post Thanks / Like

No to the grits, Steve, but yes to shrimp. We do have "Bless your little heart" down pat. Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you are thrilled Steve. That makes three honorary Texans. What race did you run Steve? If it was after 1981, I wasn't there. Also I cannot remember Bill Hosler racing at my Dad's place unless it was 1968 or 1969. In 1968 we ran the second half of the NOA World Championships. In 1969 we had the NOA Southern Championships there and I do not remember much of anything about that race. Maybe because we traveled so much that year Needles , Lakeland, Baytown two or three times, Beaumont a couple of times, Jackson, Tenn, Rogers, Ark, Port Arthur, Portland, Tex, DePue, and maybe another place to two. I'm betting it was in 1969 rather than the 70's. Bob Hering was there, but I don't have any pictures or newspaper articles of the results. My Dad's house was not built yet. Construction was to start in a few weeks after the race. Do you remember that, plus a white caliche road under construction? Joe Rome for sure remembers that road.

Here is a picture of the first two honorary Texans meeting in Texas at Fort Worth in 1975. That really says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was 69 as I was still in High school, we attended a race in the northern part around the Dallas area. Then again we were at race where your dad decked Pete Hellsten as well,74maybe? I was also involve with drag cars at the time and done a lot of traveling for that too. The Picture of John and Alan is priceless. I knew John and Liz since I was about 15 or so. They always called me the dirty kid! At the time it was though that our teem would look good in white Levi's and lite yellow shirts. Not a good mix when you raced flatheads to say the least. I do remember winning best dressed at the North South Championships in Nc also at about that time. I have a picture of that one I just received from Hosler about a year ago. Well any rate, proud to be a honorary Tex with ya'll. Gonna go by a Texas flag to hang up now. Steve

Thread Information