Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Wild Geechee

Seems, as I recall, The Wild Geechee was a a red boat with a cool design. Wilbur Bunch was the owner, I think...and D.F Jenkins was the motor builder...(I thought for a long time this was the same Jenkins..Darrell, that had worked with Bill Cooper...)....I heard he was killed in some kind of a non boating accident...I do remember the pickel forks...before Molinari brought them back!!!

For many years I confused Wilbur Bunch with Wilbur Weeks...If you read Kenny Stabler's book, Wilbur Weeks in mentioned in that book...The book, "SNAKE" ain't quite up there with "Walk the Line"....but I enjoyed reading it...

If you read the book, you know why John Madden quit coaching....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-01-2005 at 08:38 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Geechee

You must have seen it somewhere along the way because it was red. The boat was local legend around these parts. It was always powered with an OMC V-4 racing engine and was a unbeatable rig. It out ran many "brand name" boats of the day (around 1970-72) and it was a pickle fork design during a time when many tunnel were still square bow. It out ran many twin engine unlimited OPC boats. Even if another boat could match it on the straightaway they could not keep up with it around the corners. D.F. Jenkins was a motor wizard. Not sure if he designed the boat or helped design it. Whoever did they created one of the fastest single engine tunnel boats of that time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geechee

Mark I Have Some Pics Of It But I don`t Know Where. I Drove Little Geechee At The Race At Kings Ferry In Sav. Ga. That Was One Of The Last Race It Ran The Speed Had Over Come It But On A short Course Like That It Could Still Win ,As It Did That Day, I Am Not Sure What Bruce Did For Work But He Did Love Those Boats When D.F.Quit With The Big Geechee An Was Going To Take A Mc Donald To Havasu He Got Mad Said He Would Put A Mere. On The Geechee An Drive It Himself He Gave Up That.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Geechee pics

Danny, if you ever dig them out, please save them. I would pay you to have them scanned or copied. I have lots of old pics from the Kings Ferry races and Beaufort races, but none of the Geechee boat. Thanks for the info.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

OK Texans ... who is this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default He's one of the Katzenjammer Kids....

....as my Dad called them. Craig Lawrence, Ashley Lawrence and Denny Henderson. That Photo of Craig was published in Powerboat, but I forget what story. Craig is one of the team members of Finlay Motorsports. He will be flying in from North Carolina to attend the Lone Star reunion after they are done with the 24 hours of Daytona. I checked and their car no 28 is currently 14th out of 52 that have gone out for time trials. Looking forward to hearing what Craig has been up to these past number of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 hours Daytona

Craig's team, Findlay Motorsports was running 26th position with 19 hours left and 10 laps down. They have made up time and are now 12th with 16 hours to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 hour

wayne,They finished 9th in class and 11th overall. They came back a long way. Good job guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Default These are from Clayton Elmer's collection

The person fitting the tail fin on the cabover is W.C. "Bill" Morton. He was a Baytown cabinet maker and built fine boats as well. Clayton Elmer was the driver of these boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the computer and scanner talking to each other once again. So here goes.

I called Clayton Elmer to get the story on the first two photos. He said he didn't know all that happened until he saw the photos. It was real rough that day, early in 1960, at the Bayshore Boat Club in Texas near Houston. All he remembers is they were going along, then all of a sudden the three boats were going in different directions.

L144 Lonnick Romero Lafayett, La.
    T 68 Raymond Owens, Forth Worth, TX
    T 28 Clayton Elmer (Hellzapoppin) Highlands, TX

Thread Information