Post Thanks / Like

Another view of your boat Benny.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good pic. Thanks Benny

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1980 Pro Western Divisionals

A good race in 350 hydro on the Neches River at Beaumont in 1980. No. 86 Denny Henderson is chased the whole way by Benny Aylor, no. 21. Neil Bauknight ,no. 34, is right there if any of the falter. Denny and Benny had Yamato's and Neil was running a Konig.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joe is the....

.....go-to man when it comes to info on Lone Star. When we were trying to figure out which DeSilva it was that Bruce was driving, he thought it was Red Hamilton's boat. He said that it had something about San Antonio Sales on it and a picture of a BBQ pit. I remembered Surplus Sale of SA, but I didn't remember the BBQ pit. Red Hamilton is driving here at the 1977 Pro Western Divisionals at Fort Worth in 1977. The question is whether the boat is Red's or he is driving for Charlie Blackwood, Sr.

When I was looking for this picture, I came upon this photo Debbie took and I became curious. I am going so slow, the boat doesn't have any lift. It appears that I am returning to the pits. So why are the sponson's not plowing through the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a lucky skip, or just about to hop on plane??

See you have your Safe-Jak on.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 04-23-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's got to be the explanation Jeff. Kind of like that famous French photographer, Cartier I think, who said timing was everything in a photo. He tried to catch people mid stride, or in some activity that would catch your attention. Debbie must have gotten lucky with her trigger finger.

The Safe Jak for kneelers had to be modified by trimming and duct taping so you could skootch to the back of the boat coming off a turn. Also the bottom front on mine was too long and had to be trimmed, but they worked great.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this forum so pardon me if this is an obvious quesiton but is there still a Lone Sar Boat racing Association and if so, are there any races near Ft. Worth, Tx ?

Post Thanks / Like

No...it is not an obvious question. Sorry to say that there is no more Lone Star Boat Racing Association although periodically we have had reunions. We welcome you to this forum and hope you will share photos and stories with us.

At this time I am not aware of any races near Ft Worth, but a prime mover in outboard racing is moving into the area and she says there WILL BE BOAT RACING IN TEXAS. There has been no Pro racing since around 1984. There is still OPC racing, but I don't think there is any close to FT. WORTH. I could be wrong, and I hope somebody says so. In the meantime...tell us more about your family and the racing history.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted some of that info and some pictures in response to Tom Berry's thread 'Racing with the ODA Part I'. My dad Lynn Crews raced in the St Louis ODA form 1970-74. My Gandpa Andy Lowrey built the Lowrey 4-point hydros that we ran. My Uncles, Bob and Dave Lowrey also ran with Bob winning several national championships. In Tom's thread there is a response form Keith Kampen that mentions my Mom's cousin Charlie Lowrey. I posted a story about Charlie on that thread as well. Here are some pictures.

Me and Grandpa in 1971 with a brand new 11-8 4-point that he had just finished. I was 7 years old .

My Dad in Greenville Il in 1972. He had a memorable race that day with Stan (Butch) Levondusky (splg?) in C-service runabout. Probably my best memory of my Dad racing.

Post Thanks / Like

There are no boat races in the Ft.Worth area that I know of
    wish there was they have Drag Boat racing at Marine Creek in August
    I live in the area Benny

Thread Information