Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeLaune84 I just spent 30 minutes looking for the picture you referred to. It would be easier if you happened to mention the number of the post in the upper right hand corner to find it easier. On the other hand.....I just spent a half hour of good times looking at the photos and remembering all my own friends. You made me think about the hundreds of photos both B&W and color of just Lone Star that I have not posted. You have inspired me to get busy again. Welcome Aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the club have races in the Austin area?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there have been any outboard races in the Austin area for a long time David. At one time Town Lake in Austin had the best water for drag racing in the world. I was there to take pictures and witness the first time a blown fuel hydro broke 200 mph. Also Austin at one time had a champ car race in the streets ala Formula 1. All these events were very successful with thousands upon thousands of spectators. Since then Austin has become the magnet of liberals that want to tell you what to do and what they want. They certainly do not like internal combustion engines. So don't know what to tell you about local racing, because I don't know.

I did read your post on another thread David that you are working in Austin. How long will you be up there? It's a three and a half hour drive from our house. Maybe if you have time you could come visit us, or if work permits, I could meet you in between to have lunch and talk boat racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I will be in the area for quite some time. We will get together! I love to see different parts of the country, so would be pleased to drive a and meet you.

Post Thanks / Like

David,
    Clyde Queen lives in Normangee, TX, he is building super sized RC airplanes. I could forward his phone number to you.
    Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read this intire thread, man does this shake the brain cells. Don't know what it takes to become a honorary Texan but I have driven Texas boats to championships and still harass Texans to this day! Some of my best and and long time friends are Texans and I don't hold that against y'all.In my racing career, the most prized one is when Bruce Nicholson asked me to drive MIss Laurie. But the beststoryI can tell was many years ago when Bruce had ordered a couple new runabouts from DeSilva's, first one was a A boat. At that time I was was racing by doing extra work. You know, a young family and not making much $$. I needed a new boat as the new B KONIG I got from Hans Krage made my current boat, a 12'6KR I bought could not handle the extra B power. I made a deal with DeSilvas to paint boats for them in trade for a new 13'6 KR. One of the first boats I did was for Bruce. It was a A boat (250), and the usual Nicholson Yellow in color. Knowing who it was for, I spent a lot of time sanding this new hull and then laid a couple coats of clear over it to block sand the natural finish. I spent hours taping it out to meet the DeSilva scheme of the time, and proceeded to lay down some real nice Yellow from a 1980 Corvette.. after curing, I again block sanded it and laid down many coats of clear to completely hide any tape lines to the natural wood. I must say that it was beautiful. Loaded it up on the trailer at Ralph Donald's for a trip to a spring race at DePue after driving it from Florida to Ralph's. after getting to DePue, and sleeping in the truck, I got out of truck early next morning to great Ray Yates and Nicholson. They helped get the boat down from the top rack,( we had open trailers at that time), and Bruce and Ray walked around that boat a couple times giving it the " Texas walk around" that y'all do, and Bruce said to me "Damn! That's the prettiest boat I have ever seen". They then took her away and I smiled knowing I had done a good job for one of my racing Heros. But wait, it don't end there. About 30 minutes later I here a chainsaw running out of Nicholsons trailer, and he a Yates are having at that pretty boat to fit one of Bruce's home made contraptions on the transom with a worse yet Harrison short tower that required serious modifications to transom. Heartbreak city on my end, but hey not to long later Bruce asked me to wheel Miss Laurie for the first time, which leads to another story involving Denny Henderson at Alex. Fun times for sure and they are still happening! Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Had not seen clyde in so many, many years. Where the hell is Normangee?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that this isn't the place to advertise an upcoming race.. But after re-reading through many of these posts.. I would like to invite anyone of you who may have a free weekend coming up this upcoming weekend to a race here in Louisiana. The Louisiana Boat Racing Association is hosting the 2017 National Boat Racing Association's Short Course National Championships in Pineville (Alexandria), Louisiana on Buhlow Lake. Should be a really good turnout. If anyone is interested in attending... I will post a link below with more details on the event. Also, the Best Western of Alexandria is offering a lower rate to anyone mentioning that they are a part of the NBRA Boat Races. Would very much enjoy meeting some of you (if I have not already, that is) if you attend.

https://www.facebook.com/GooberJohn3...41?pnref=story

Post Thanks / Like

Normangee is between Dallas and Houston and Austin, phone 938 855 2492

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for taking so long to respond about your inquiry Steve about what it takes to become an honorary Texan. I did try right after you asked, but my computer got timed out and it all went away and I hate to go back and redo such a brilliant answer to your question. So I will try again.

There is no real way to go about becoming one. It is just the way things happen. The only criteria though was to race in Texas in the Lone Star Boat Racing Association events. Alan Ishii and Johnny Dortch used to come race with us quite a bit. Johnny and Liz even came to my Dad's to hunt with us and Jack Chance. They both hung out with Texans and became part of us. There were a few drivers that came to race with us and eventually moved to Texas so they didn't need to be honorary. There is one couple that probably should be, but because of circumstances he didn't race here. His wife did, but how can you declare her an honorary Texan without including him. So that one we may have to give some more consideration now that this has come up.

There is no committee, rules or anything laid out to give the honors. It is just a few people that just decide that's the way it ought to be, and some of them are no longer around. But, the few that's left took up your question and looked into the facts. You never raced in the Lone Star Boat Racing Association Steve, but you did drive for one of the greatest drivers in Lone Star history. If LSBRA would not have folded in the early 80's, you would have raced on our courses many times. When Joe Rome and Louis Williams bought an SK boat, you were the first one they asked to drive it. You have the right frame of mind, and BS to be an actual born and bred Texan, therefore the remaining people that bestow such honors have unanimously agreed that you, Steve Litzell, are now deemed to be an honorary Texan.

Thread Information