Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lsbra

A few photos from Marine Creek Lake Fort Worth 1975
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Antonio Flip

It was Don Nichols. He said, "It was feelin so good." It was a new aero-wing and D Konig. He ended up with a small cut over his eye. Doc Collins put a bandaid on it and told him "You ain't hurt," and sent him on his way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaumont, Texas 1978

After Ray Hardy sold his hard chrome plating plant in Chicago, he moved to Texas and raced with us Lone Star guys. For those who have raced at Beaumont know the milling area is a little tight and spectators watching from boats have a line they're not supposed to cross. Sometimes boats sneak across and they have to be told continually to move back. The dude in the yacht probably figured he had enough money to put his boat where he wanted to.

Anyway, Ray and another boat were watching the clock. At the last minute they realized they were on a collision course with the yacht. Ray was unable to steer out of the way, I think because of the boat to his inside. One of his pickleforks punctured the yacht. The owner ran up to the bow and jumped down on Ray's boat and attempted to punch him out. Of course Ray was well padded with his Lifeline jacket and helmet on. The other guy also got scratches on his ankles from Rays deck as his feet punched through the thin plywood. See the duct tape on Ray's deck where he poked through, and the taped up picklefork. I wish I could remember what was said that Ray was reponding to in the third photo.

The last I heard the owner of the Yacht sued APBA, but I never heard the outcome. Unfortunately in Texas, big money and stupidity oftentimes win out.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 04-20-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaumont Tx. 1978

Wayne,
    My dad started taking me to boat races in 1950 and I have seen and heard many, many boat racing stories over the years. Without question the two funniest things I have ever seen at a boat race both happened at Beaumont, and I think they both happened on the same day. The best was when Ray Hardy hit the drunk yacht owner, as you described. I believe the court case was finally dropped after a few months. Thanks for reminding me of my favorite boat racing story.
    Last edited by denny henderson; 06-15-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two funniest stories on the same day

Denny--what was the other story?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lsbra

Just a few photos laying around. Don't know if the first one will turn out. Got kind of weird when I edited it.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of those runabouts. They look great fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Friends in LSBRA

Here are some old photos of good friends from the Lone Star Boat Racing Association days. Does anyone know who the run about driver is?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4th Photo

Joe,

The 4th photo down must have been at Alex. in 1972. Behind a youg Denny Henderson is my dad's boat trailer. It is easily recognizable by the University of North Carolina Tarheel sticker in the left corner of the door. That had to be the hottest race I ever attended. Louisiana in August was tough.

David Weaver

Tim Small
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dale Sellers

When I was driving Elmer Grades 250 back in the day, we were at the 79 nationals at Alex. In the first final heat I had the inside going to the first turn, but when I got there and tried to back off, the pipe and throttle stuck wide open. If I would have tried to make the turn I would have barrel rolled it so I tried to swing wide hoping to not flip and have 11 guys run me over. Well here comes Dale from way on the outside where he liked to start. I started to swing wide when it felt like a train hit me from the right side. Dale hit me broad side and had a terrible flip. I turned back to see if he was OK when I noticed I was sinking. I made it back to the pits, but dale had a bad back injury. I have always felt bad about that accident and never got to say I was sorry to him. The only funny thing about the whole story was that it was a brand new Yale that we borrowed from Nick Birbirie after Skip didnt qualify. Nick kept everything spotless and Elmer said to Nick, dont worry if we scratch it I will buy it. Well when I came in from the wreck Nick almost cried when he saw the boat. Needless to say Elmer bought the boat.

Thread Information