Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nick Birbarie's boat

Tim--Might this be you in Nick's boat?
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 04-29-2005 at 06:37 AM. Reason: wrong name

Tim Small
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, Dont think thats me. That looks like a Butts from the last photo. I didnt quite go all the way under. We kept the engine above the water and patched the boat up for the final. I won the final, but Malcolm Harden had a 1st and a 3rd, and I had a 1st and a DNF. Great stories and photos you have been posting, keep it up, it brings back great memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Barbon, Lake Corpus Christi, TX 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like an early 4 pipe RC-5 Yamato hanging off Jim McKean's hydro.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wayne in a Runabout?????

Here is a rare picture of Wayne Baldwin driving a runabout. Louis is in front in his Fillinger. Wayne told me about one of his early races when he conked out in the first turn. Louis Williams came by him within a few feet and washed him down. Next lap, Wayne drifted out a little further, again Louis came by him again just as close as he did the first time. I think he was trying to intimidate the young racer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some of the '60s Pictures from Baytown

Welcome Joe Cohen and Craig Lawrence.

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots from my newly found pile of pictures.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The picture of mom and dad is great. These pictures really bring back alot of memorys.

Post Thanks / Like

Default two funniest stories on the same day

Wayne,
    The incident I was refering to envolved Louis Williams friend "Roddy", and was funny only to those of us who saw it happen. There was a pier that extended out into the river 20' or so, with pleasure boats tied along side it. To help drivers see the flags, there would be a flagman out on the end of the pier. That day it was Roddy, and by 3 or 4 o'clock he was waving around more than the flags were. Craig and I had been watching him for some time, staggering around, waving flags, when suddenly he just toppled off the pier and disappeared into the bottom of a pleasure boat.
    We ran out and found him curled up and sound asleep. He never even knew what happened. I guess you had to be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Barbon, Lake Corpus Christi 1974.

I want you guys to tell some stories about things that happened at these races.

Those of us in the Corpus Christi Boat Club decided to build our own portable toilets and store them on the ranch part of Barbon to save money. They were BIG. About 4 X 4 X 8 with 4 X 6 skids. They were heavy and it took 3 or 4 people to load them, but there were always racers around to help when we needed to move them.

It was the evening before the race in 1974,( I think it was the Texas State Championships), we were sitting around drinking beer and decided it was time to bring the two wooden toilets to the spectator area. We had sealed them up and nailed the doors shut after the races the previous year in order to keep critters out. A couple of guys handled the front of the skids, and handed off to some guys in the pickup. I was handling the rear skid on the side where the door opened, and when the toilet was tilted up, the heavy door opened so I just grabbed the door frame with my right hand to load it in the pickup. One of the San Antonio racers was standing there and he slammed the door shut with both hands, put his head down and pushed hard. It just so happened that he wasn't paying attention that he closed it on my right hand.

That wasn't the bad part. My hand was where one of the nails holding the door shut was. The nail in the door went through my hand between the middle finger and the right handed ring finger about halfway down my palm. I started hollering and everybody bailed out of the pickup or took off. They thought a bunch of wasps was attacking. Me, the guy holding the other rear skid and the one who slammed the door are still there holding on the the toilet so it wouldn't fall on us. In the meantime, I was still pinned down by the nail. I was hollering "open the door....open the door". Then when the others realized what was happening, they jerked it open and freed me.

The next day I could only close my thumb, index and middle finger so it was a little tough driving, but that's racing. We all had a good laugh about it.

Thread Information