Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lone Star Boat Racing Association

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Correction on dates

I've been told that NOA actually started in the winter of 1951-52. That's what I get for not looking it up. Anyway, Lone Star went it's own way and later most members became dual members of LSBRA and NOA. When I started in 1966 maybe a little more than half the boats used the letter number designation of NOA, but many still carried the identifying letters of their local clubs.

LSBRA had their own State Championships (the National Championships of Texas), competion records, straightaway records and high point titles. It appears according to the rule book that the last straightaway records were held in 1970. I never attended any of these and for some reason our team only went to one race in Port Arthur which was rained out. I'm thinking that was probably 1970 and they ran the time trials on Monday, after we were gone. I don't remember any other Port Arthur races scheduled after the rainout. Interestingly, OF Christner was down and set a record in 1961.

During the winter LSBRA held its annual banquet to pass out championship trophies, high point awards, Special awards for individuals and officials, and other ceremonies. During the time that I raced it was always held in Baytown at a Holiday Inn and later at the new Baytown Boat Club. The banquet was on a Saturday night and the annual meeting to elect new officers and go over any rule changes was Sunday morning around 10 am.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Post Thanks / Like

Default More corrections

Here's where I got mixed up. The Texas guys got torqued up about something at a race in Beaumont in 1952. They split from APBA and went with the newly formed NOA and also had a loose confederation of clubs that had formed the Gulf Coast Boat Racing Association. Then in 1956 Bob Pressler from Beaumont had formal papers drawn up and signed forming the Lone Star Boat Racing Association. A lot of drivers still raced some NOA, but LSBRA was a stand alone organization in its own right. The initial meeting was held in Columbus, Texas because there were racers from North and Central Texas as well. The racers from Dallas at that time weren't part of LSBRA.

The local clubs and their letter designation that made it up were:

Austin A
    Bayshore (later Baytown) BT
    Beaumont B
    Corpus Christi C
    Freeport F
    Houston H
    Lake Charles, La L
    Orange O
    Port Arthur PA
    San Antonio SA
    Waco W

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barbon 1974

A few pit shots from 1974. The pits were in my Dad's front yard. We had to quit racing there after he put in an underground sprinkler system in 1977. I didn't mind getting caliche dust on me when I mowed, and would have continued in order to keep a great race course. But, after Debbie and I got married and we moved to Denton, he thought real grass might look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beaumont, TX 1978

I think this may have been the race at Beaumont where Louis Williams was hypnotized. His knees were hurting very much and a hypnotist said he could fix him up where Louis could race without pain. Don't remember the outcome.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lsbra

Wayne,
    I really enjoyed the history of the LSBRA and NOA and also the pictures. I had never known about how the associations were formed. We lived in the Longview area back then and never heard of any kneel down racing going on in the 60's as it seem to have died out in northeast tx in the early 50's. I remember seeing a picture or two about the Beaumont races but they only showed the inboards.

We would hear about the Tri -Cities Gulf Coast Outboard Marathon at Beaumont for years before I finally got a boat ready and ran in it an 1963. That was the first time we had ever seen salt water.

I became aquainted with Arland Crouch and Freddy Goel and I believe that they ran with your association.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Tom

I'm learning about the early LSBRA myself from Louis Williams, Joe Rome, and Clayton Elmer. Stay tuned, there's a lot more. What about Arlen and Freddy. Do you still have contact?. Would like to hear any stories or see some photos from those early days.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlen and Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    I'm learning about the early LSBRA myself from Louis Williams, Joe Rome, and Clayton Elmer. Stay tuned, there's a lot more. What about Arlen and Freddy. Do you still have contact?. Would like to hear any stories or see some photos from those early days.
    Wayne
    I first met them when they bored a Mercury block for me in 1963. I believe that Arlen may have stopped racing about that time. I had been interested in running in the Salton Sea race and I knew that Freddy had been there as Jimmy Adair's mechanic so I stopped by there in 64 and he gave me a lot of info. I had been offered a boat and sponsorship by PowerCat and they would pay for upkeep on my motors so I figured that Arlen and Freddy would be the ones to maintain the motors and Arlen offered to sell me the motors at cost.
    I didn't follow through on that deal as my Dad needed my help in a sideline business that kept me busy on and off for the next 35 years.

I sent another motor to them after that a year or two latter but the last time I talked to Arlen he had opened a new marine Mercury dealership in Bryan and was selling mostly bassboats. That would have been in about the middle 70's.

After talking to Freddy that first time about the Salton Sea race I figured that wasn't the place for my 15' boat.
    Tom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlen and Freddy

Wayne

You asked about pictures. Back in those days with our budget, we couldn't afford a camera or the film development if we did have a camera. I do have a snapshot or two that someone gave us if I can find them. I had a roll of 8mm movie film that was taken when Johnny Sanders and I were racing in NOA at Lake O Pines and Lake Lewisville. In the first turn of the first heat at the Pines we entered the turn even and I was on the outside. I thought his boat would out turn mine and as his rolled up I turned in under him. That was one of those times that everything goes into slowmotion! I was able to get out from under him before the right side of his boat came down. For some reason he was on my hip in the next heat.

I believe that we raced each other in 4 heats that year and believe we won 2 each. He was a class act and I have always admired him.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos from Barbon 1977. Last year to race there

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne:

Who built the boat Denny is driving in that pic?

Thread Information