Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team Evinrude Motor: H.E. Burgess

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Bunker,

ALL & I mean All Lawn-Boy Lawn Mowers were 2 cycle. They could mow on side hills & always have lubrication. How do I know so much about Lawn-Boy, I was their National Service manager for 19 years then the Toro Company bought us from OMC. They continued 2 strokes until recently, now Lawn-Boy mowers use 4 stroke engines. Not the same.
    John
    as a kid I was exposed to a LOT of things, My dad was very active with APBA and a good personal friend of Charlie Strang and Carl Kiekaefer, Ron was a very active racer, my grandfather was a very busy mechanic and inspector, I guess a lot of things just got absorbed by me as a kid

ADD-- You should ask my dad some day to tell you the story of an early, like 4AM early, morning angry, were talking Carl Kiekaefer angry, phone call my dad received when ROn wonthe Chicago to Milwaukee marathon in 1967! It was a call of legend, a tantrum to the likes of which only the old man (Carl) could've thrown!!

Bunker

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lawn-Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker Hill View Post
    John
    as a kid I was exposed to a LOT of things, My dad was very active with APBA and a good personal friend of Charlie Strang and Carl Kiekaefer, Ron was a very active racer, my grandfather was a very busy mechanic and inspector, I guess a lot of things just got absorbed by me as a kid

ADD-- You should ask my dad some day to tell you the story of an early, like 4AM early, morning angry, were talking Carl Kiekaefer angry, phone call my dad received when ROn wonthe Chicago to Milwaukee marathon in 1967! It was a call of legend, a tantrum to the likes of which only the old man (Carl) could've thrown!!

Bunker
    Yup, know all that. Actually Ron & I raced against each other in stock & when we drove for OMC. Ron & I co-drove in Paris in 1970. We finished 4th & waer the 1st Johnson to finish. I am also a very good friend of Charlie Strang as we both came from out east & were members of the New Jersy Outboard Association. I know your dad as well.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is HE Burgess on BRF? I was wondering if there was any chance we can peek under the hood of this motor?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where I found this picture of Jimbo (apologies for not crediting the originator, I just think it should go here), but his motor is the same basic v4 early prototyped X115 with the stacks angled downward. Internally, OMC called it the OSS. Name:  Jimbo X115.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  63.6 KB
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needles Marathon 1970

I told Jack Leek, Jimbo needed a ride in his home town of Needles. The only boat "KICKING" around was Ted May's hydro. Ted had built this boat in 1969 for the Miami 225, but it didn't take rough water very well and had way too much lift. Jacksent Jimbo a motor and we rigged it up. There wasn't much competition in those day at "LOCAL" races, but Jimbo won with ease.

I think I have the original of this picture, probably Leo B.
    Wildman of Garden Grove, long since passed

Thread Information