Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 39 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Tomtall

Question "Name That Outboard"

OK BRF members and visitors ----

I'm starting a new thread to wet the pallet of the exotic outboard motor gurus. I will be posting various motors that have been made over the years and it's your task is to try and let us know what the heck it was and is.

I will post the answers for each within a few days.

Good Luck!

Here is the first one --------
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...Tomtall....that is great. I have missed your other thread. Glad to see you back with another teaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Saw it in person yesterday in MI. Met the builder. Will let others comment a little first.

Allen J. Lang

Thumbs up Name That Outboard

Hi Tom- As with Stu, I know the engine and the builder and will with hold my answer. Also know how well it ran.

Ye Olde Desert Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saw it run too!

Personally saw it get pulled out of the trunk of Tim Kurz car. Tim does a great job of "thinking outside the box". Didn't take long to start getting it competetive in FEH that weekend. Very cool idea.

Tomtall

Default More details

OK Joe -

We know Tim built it and it runs FEH according to your post, which is correct, but what is it and what was done to it ?????

Post Thanks / Like

From over here on the Left Side of the Map, I looks like he took a 44 and put, I am guessing pyramid reeds, in front of each cylinder in order to eliminate 13 of the 17 left turns it takes to get fuel to the combustion chamber of the traditional Mercury reed cage. Now what happened to the original reed cages? Are they now additional main berings or are they "just along for the ride?"

J-Dub

Tomtall

Thumbs up We have a winner !

JW got it. Great Job! The following letter describes the history of this fire breathing Mod engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Allen J. Lang

Talking Project 444

Thanks for the posting Tom. It's great to see the product of great minds of Tim, the late Bud Parker and the late Harry Brinkman. Bud and Harry knew their Mercs and so did Tim along with how to make an OMC really run. Even though I am an OMC fan, I got to give credit to the 3 gentlemen on their knowledge and workmanship.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tim is one inspiration!

I don't have to use my imagination anymore after seeing what he was talking about some couple of years after talking to him. Bravo Tim! The engine is sure impressive. You got me moving on my project as a result.

Tim was such an inspiration I am in a mockup stage too doing a similar kind of engine with 4 carbs, Merc 44 block as the basis but the difference is that I am using Nydahl front case castings, Tillotson KC-6 carbs, P4D Merc magneto and Bayer stacks. This could become a meeting of engines not only on display but an "unlimited gassers class engine" for FE for these Merc 44s.

Way to go Tim!!!!!

Anymore thinking of doing this too now??
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-02-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: punctuation

Thread Information