Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be easy with the old style coils with external earths/pigtails i guess?

RogerH

Default RS - Coil Wiring - photo

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Hi Roger,

I understand your concern and need clarification. How exactly are you wiring the coils in series?
    Tim, I'm glad you see the "concern". I don't know anyone intimate enough with these CD systems to inquire to.

Here's a picture of the RS from the back. Note the "white" nylon 1/4x20 bolts holding the coil to the bracket. This isolates one side of the coil from ground and then I jumper (split) the primary to that point. Thus the one primary fires both coils in series. I have not run this motor but have used a pull rope to verify that all of the plugs are firing appropriately.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not much help here if it's this Bill your asking

Roger:

I remember well the conversations we had about a year ago about aftermarket CD ignitions systems available and how they might be adapted to a specific engine you were working with at that time. That being said, I have absolutely NO experience with the OMC ignitions that Tim is working with, or any experience of a similar type setup to accomplish what he is doing with the engine shown in his most recent posts. The only engines I ever worked with that had two triggers firing 180 apart are the Phelan type used on Konigs and I also used that type on my RB that was only two cylinder but of course fired 180 apart (one cyl) instead of two at the same time like with the 4 cyl Konig.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Bill

ADD: We did have a programmable CD/battery excited ignition on a 125 engine also. Worked will but only a single cylinder with one trigger and one coil.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC ignition...

The only thing I remember was a test from OMC training school. Whenever there was an issue with components, you get a 5 gallon bucket of water and throw all the parts into the bucket. All the parts that would float were good.........

Roger, you always have the best toys.
    Last edited by F-12; 10-29-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something.........
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Batten down the hatches

Hey Roger,

Got busy preping for winter..... Now that the ignition system is all figured out, how about posting some images of the front of your RS and the whole boat? Looks like a tunnel to me.

Tim

RogerH

Default Oberry Marine - Moinari / Johnson RS #60 + #86

Hey Roger,

Got busy preping for winter..... Now that the ignition system is all figured out, how about posting some images of the front of your RS and the whole boat? Looks like a tunnel to me.

Tim
    I am getting close to getting the boat and motor ready. Trying to have it for the Florida Spring events. It is a Ranato Molinari 17' hull that John Hervat says he pained for Phil O'berry in 1970. I know that Randy Gore and Rudy Foote drove the boat, although I have not been able to contact either of them. Freddie Webb (AL) sold me the motor (two powerheads) and he had purchased the NOS gearcase from Pete Nydahl. Per our previous discussion I'm running a larger bore Wilbur Weeks preped block and have the RS block also. I'm finishing one exhaust filler block that was warped beyond repair to complete the motor. I have the boat ready for Gary Pugh to put new decks on and have prepped the interior already. I re-rigged the boat for a show before the hull restoration was started. It was structurally sound everywhere but had been outside for years (in NY) and the deck top layer delaminated in a zillion spots. Should be a "simple" put it back together once the paint is finished. Will paint it the same scheme, shy of the lettering and keep the cancer ad, as Phil died of cancer. The Johnson RS and Evinrude CCC are the same motor except for their colors - and super rare. I believe they started in 1976 but their usage was shortened with the advent of the V8. Gary Pugh thinks the boat is newer than 1970, but John Hervat was quite sure of the timeframe he painted the boat. It's never had anything but an RS midsection bolted to the transom for sure. I tend to agree with Gary that the shape of the boat indicates it more inline with the mid-late 70's (when the RS became available) than 1970. What year do others think the boat is???

RogerH

Default What year is this Molinari?

I believe this is Keith Scotton's boat in Texas. I don't have any contact info for Keith or I'd ask him if he knows the year of his boat. They look identical to me. Keith, you out there???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whew-ha!

Wow Roger,

A very cool ride! I've never seen the RS unshrouded - looks like 1-3/16" venturi two bbls, or are they 1-3/8"? It's incredible this was built in the 70's. Must be a 100 mph ride - what fun!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Roger,

A very cool ride! I've never seen the RS unshrouded - looks like 1-3/16" venturi two bbls, or are they 1-3/8"? It's incredible this was built in the 70's. Must be a 100 mph ride - what fun!

Tim
    I saw one unshrouded. It was at one of the Billy Seebold tunnel boat races here in Saint Louis back in the Mercury vs. OMC days during the 70's. I was a turn judge and an OMC guy blew over in my corner and blew the engine cowl off so the powerhead was right there in plain site.

You should have seen the OMC brass when they towed the boat in. Yelling "cover it up, cover it up." I think Charlie Strang would have had me arrested just for looking at it if he could. But really it meant nothing to me, all I knew is that it didn't look much like my Konig.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Roger
    even got the original postive engaging solenoid on the starter.
    We had quiet a few in OZ back in the day.
    Still got the harmonic balancer on the crank?
    Cheers

( I guess quite a few shared amongest 18 million is a relative term...)

Thread Information