Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Post Thanks / Like

Not Swedish. The name is written clearly on top of the Flywheel.

Oh, I forgot to post that picture.

Post Thanks / Like

But it is European. The next version of this motor was one of the first to have expansion chambers

Its a 500cc motor and it won the European and World Championships when it was equipped with chambers.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 08-10-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carniti??

Post Thanks / Like

The motor is displayed in the entrance to Fabio Buzzi's factory in Italy. One of his engineers designed it when working for Carniti. The guys in the machine shop there have another not so racy engine in line for restoration.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I had seen a picture (s) some time ago of that motor, but could not for the life of me remember the name, so I called my friend Ralph Donald, who is the only active boat racer I know well, older than I, that I thought might be familiar with it, especially with all the European racing he has done for the last 30 or so years. After I described it, he mentioned Carniti, and then I remembered the name. Looks like motors are still manufactured under the Carniti name, only they all look to be diesels, or at least I did not see any gas engines. Seem to be quite well thought of in the diesel variety. The "V" configuration is not all that unusual, but that is the first one I have seen with the cylinders pointing forward. If that was a "one off" as you seem to indicate, or if several were built by Carniti, the person who designed/built it put a lot of time into it as it looks to be very professionally done, especially the header casting (at least looks to be a casting) and how they join into what looks to be also a cast tower housing. Normally castings are not used unless it is thought there will be a good number of motors sold, because of the mold cost. I wonder which came first, that idea, or the 20H "toilet bowl" idea.

As Sam mentioned, there might have been models with expansion chambers?? Any photo's of those?

Post Thanks / Like

The 20H came first. There are pictures of the Carniti with pipes here on BRF

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=2537 and on some other threads

I think total production of all versions of these was less than a dozen. Seems to me the Europeans say there were only 5 of the motors with pipes. I was surprised to see this version with the closed up exhaust.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

These are some cropped shots of my baby.
    I believe that this particular engine was never run except in a tank 60 yrs ago and 6 yrs ago.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a Martin "60" Hi-speed ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-10 Brian View Post
    Is it a Martin "60" Hi-speed ?
    It does have a righty prop,

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. This was a no serial number experimental factory engine. The twist grip decal was a bit of an insider laugh. No water pump so notice the forced cooling water holes on the leading edge of the foot. I used to read the old Mechanix Illustrated boat building issues like most kids read comic books and the "Yellow Jacket" was one of my favorites. It was powered with a "High Speed 60" I never actually saw a Martin where I grew up until this one appeared.

Thread Information