Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Post Thanks / Like

Its the Frankenstein of Formula E ... the Kurcz 45 OMC twin Cosworth overhead exhaust valved 2 stroke. Its other unique feature was fixed motor with rudder steering as used on inboards.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Bill Tenney Built It, Flyod Harris Jr. Campaigned It, One Man Started It?

The following pictures are that of the most powerful outboard, and an early loop charged engine along with that in a class of engine in its time, circa early 1960s.

It could have been the most powerful outboard engine ever built in its time period bar none racing or otherwise pushing any family pleasure boat. Its horsepower was in the area of 120+ at 9,000+ RPM with just 30 cubic inches (500 CCs) total engine displacement. It was fueled with a methanol base with nitromethane percentage added and engine lubrication done with racing caster in the basic mix. There could have been other mixing agents in the fuel as well combined with the other three.

Bill Tenney built it. Floyd Harris Jr. campaigned it in C - Alky Runabout in the early 1960s in the N.O.A. and only one man was strong enough to start it with a starting rope, on that rope all by himself. It was one of a kind though there were rumors of others back then and just recently in a land far far away of another. This one had the fame from being campaigned very successfully in the USA until the middle 1960s when it disappeared never to be seen again until the winter of 2006 where it came to be posted on select outboard websites. There were rumors of a 10 cubic inch bigger class D version in the works involving Ron Anderson and Jim Hallum in the north west USA in the middle 1960s as well. These rumours have since been borne out as true and one is in the future recreation works as well. One thing that was true to any of them was just how heavy they were causing many groans and few wanting to handle them while just looking at them was just fine for most!

Name the engine? You can tell the story you might know about it because to me as a young teenager starting out in stock outboard racing during the 1960s that it was a mythical Alky engine that only came real and true when it was reassembled here during the winter in my recroom in 2006!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-30-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: additions & spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a picture of one of those on a boat?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I wish??? Floyd Harris, where are you?

Sam: Here is to me joining you and everyone else hoping that happens. Can I say that we can volunteer our help to those that have them but have a hard time contributing them for what ever the reason? I am ready to volunteer to make it happen. Black and white pictures are just fine too even if them came out of a Kodak Brownie.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Twin-A Paired Harrison?

It's wonderful to see the creative efforts of early builders preserved so well. Where did you find this beauty? Are the cranks geared together underneath?

You'd like to believe there are hundreds more out there in barns, basements, and garages just waiting to be found and restored, or at least photographed and shown.

Good luck with your photo hunt. In the early 1970's when I started in stock, all spare money went to the rig. Sadly as a result, there were very few photos, let alone high quality detail shots!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Not a paired Harrison, No.

Tim:

The engine is not a paired Harrison but definitely a paired Harrison cousin on a common engine coupling transmission. Give the engine make another guess?

When Bill Tenney passed away I acquired the remainder of the parts stocks from his family as it was felt more engines being restored would result in the hands of some one who was still into maintaining and using his own of which I already had two. That is happening albiet slowly as all the parts required to do a complete engine take time to find, assemble and even custom make to be able complete just one more.

There is no indication of who the builders of the common engine coupler were from from the outside but one is being dissassembled completely to restore it that they were from the UK seems pretty probable. They are built so exacting just a thumb and finger twisting on one of its shafts spins everything with a freedom of movement you would not think would exist there with such a large geared case. Its lubrication is a large internal pool of hypoid oil I am sure made the movement easier as opposed to some kind of greaseoil.

I can not say the engine is absolutely the way it was exactly when Floyd Harris Jr. was campaigning it because of the garage fire at Bill Tenney's destroyed some engines and components but not others. I used both used and NOS parts to reconstruct it. It was reconstructed with the help and thanks to BRF's member Tim Chance who more than likely maybe chased it around with his Alky powered DeSilva at some events?? Tim sure remembered who started and remembered those that were in pairs trying to start it when the main man starter was not there to do so.

When it comes to pictures racers themselves are probably their own worse because their on site and on the spot involvement themselves and then helping their compatriots with their rigs between heats saw little picture taking time. Their families and friends did though and here is to hoping that some that were there taking sme pictures turn up some time for post here. If people could realize they are helping to write and picture a history here maybe more could come of it.

One interesting point is that when this 4 cylinder Alky ran it did not loose a race according to all accounts. There is no information that it was ever run on a hydro, so that may be a first when it gets parked and run on Wayne Walgraves former National Championship winning 13.5 foot class F Alky Chaparral wedge hydro I have sitting here restored. It might be the only hydro around that would not sink stern first when the engine gets parked on it and set in the water. The coupled twin is just that heavy outweighing a Mark75H by some approximation of between 16 to 20 pounds.

Like some of the engines restored here, it along with others are destined for permanent display for posterity in our local marine museum in Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada, a place with a great race course that saw many, many NOA, and other association governed Alky, Modified and Stock outboard races. Its doing my little part for history that needs preservation and display for all of us. Engines like these and the variety raceboats that ran all these different engines define our collective and remarkable history as a motorsport.

Post Thanks / Like

Anzani 30 cubic inches.

And only 1 man could start it?

Baloney!!!

I can think of several who could no doubt do it.

One was a team mate of mine, Mark Hummesheim.

Another was a team mate of Mark's!

I'm 67 years old, and far past my prime, but I'll bet you a steak dinner, if that thing WILL crank up and run I can do it today!!!

By the way, Baldy was no slouch with a crank rope in his hands!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Hey Gene, the name has been given, you supplied it!

Gene:

You have the engine name and marque right, it is a British Anzani twin block C Alky.

For me and no doubt others the engine was something totally mythical. What would I have known otherwise unless some one supplied the stories! I only ever saw single block Anzanis run ever and they were nothing like what is in these pictures! LOL! Tim Chance and then Paul Christner gave me most of what I know about it other than Floyd Harris posting in about this C Alky version, its the one he campaigned. These are the stories I was told and what ever they posted here or from hearing from them is all I know and now your saying something more. Do you have any pictures, please?????? Same thing when it came to the west coast effort as Jim Hallum and Smitty the Welder recalled what was going on over there to produce a class D Alky version.

I am sure you and there were others too that had the braun and the techique to start it but Tim Chance and Paul Christner put out the Paul Bunyan like stories of the racing effort of one man who excelled at doing what it took two others with two starting ropes to do.......most of the time for Floyd Harris. What am I to think after seeing an 8 cylinder Konig Alky, a GM Corvair outboard powered drag hydro posted here etc. that needed electric start???? Those earlier times were mythical with the giants of the sport doing things people today in most cases can't even squeeze between their ears in concept never mind even actually doing it!

Gene, you must have seen it run, there must be some stories you can post here knowing your a partisan Quincy man and lean that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the motor once at Louisiana, MO in 1958. This was before I worked for Quincy Welding.

As I recall a Quincy 30-H won and a PR was second. The Anzani didn't play a significant role although it did stir some interest.

I was more impressed with meeting Clem Landis for the first time that day!!

For those of you who never knew Clem, you missed a TRUE LEGEND!!
    But that's another story!

BTW John, I don't want to diminish your enthusiasm for this project.
    In all fairness, I didn't see this motor run well because I was serving in the US Navy from 1959 t0 1962 when it was having most of it's success.

You do have something of great historic value there. Your willingness to share your collection is admirable.

Keep the snow up there if you can!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Gene East! We don't get much snow here, just the cold!

Gene: Thanks for your winter wishes! LOL! We really and I truly mean really we do not get much snow up here in this end of the Red River Valley (the Red River in Texas only approaches a ditch by our standards)! All around us and south of us in particular in the USA houses get lost in snow drifts we just do not get here. Our average snowfall based on 10 years cycles is only between 14 and 16 inches which equates to 3 inches of rain. That is pretty arid. What gets us in trouble with flooding is from the melt in the Dakotas and Minnesota and their snowfall has already hit 36 inches to our 3 inches. If you want someone to teach snow fort and igloo building you have to find them south and east of us! LOL!

When it comes to engine and boat displays they are a history we should not keep to our selves. Their chances of getting lost by being kept to our own private collections increase the chances of being lost moreso as opposed to being let out for permanent public display. Their display will help fundraise for future marine museum development here and elsewhere way after we are all gone. That is the only hope.

Thread Information