Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cooling the Twin Cam

When you analze it, 22 degrees 2-stroke is 44 degrees 4-stroke, so the timing is actually quite radical. The head was typically run at 38 degrees total by Cosworth. Recall this had never been done before, and may not have since. The water cooling problem has only to do with an internal casting feature which pockets in the vertical, Cosworth proved the head cools nicely in the intended horizontal position.

As for the exotics, true enough I could build anything. It's more fun to dissect the rule book and (Smokey Yunick style) build what the book does not cover. You'll see three more curve balls coming for FE next year if all goes according to plan. All are legal, but will press the limit of available reasonably priced metallurgy. My hope is they will survive 5 hours race time; Just enough for one season. I might leak a few images in the spring when it's too late for others to copy. They will easily dominate the race course compared to the competition. Tim

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default I like that! It keeps competitors thinking!

Tim:

I like your thinking, it keeps other developers thinking all the time and wondering. There seems to be more than a few followers of Smokey around out there thinking the same way. There is also a poliferation of cheap two stroke technology out there now and very cheap to dable with in outboards since the 4 stroke heavy outboard iron came along that also helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokey........

Funny this name has come up in this thread..........You guys picked a winner to discuss regarding designing inside-outside the rule book. I used to go to Smokey's garage during my lunch breaks way back when. (Best Damn Garage in Town) That was on his sign out front. He didn't actually go around the rules and still be legal, he rewrote the record book by what he could accomplish with what was already being used. There was soo much going on in the shop, it was hard to keep up with, and most of the development projects went on late at night. He wasn't a big fan of spectators during this phase. He was one of the keenest minds in the sport.
    Charley Bradley

Tomtall

Default More Smokey

My high school shop teacher suggested I read one of Smokey's books at 17. Best information I ever got. Well maybe my dads information on girls was better but Smokey was right up there. Read more @

http://www.fireballroberts.com/smokey_yunick1.htm

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Posting notes on BRF

A belated thanks to Master Oil Racing for the help with posting. I'll try your method, but have decided to cut & paste to the clipboard before attempting a send. The work lost was 45 minutes of typing! Thanks again for your guidance and understanding. Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokey

For Charlie and others, "The best damned garage in town" was one of the most enlightening reads of my life right behind Jennings, Bell, Bossaglia, and Blair. It's great to hear from someone who actually saw it in action! Smokey was a testament to the spirit of unbridled development. FE (now 850) allows that same opportunity with minor limitation. My other great passion was the Can-Am series of race cars that developed completely free. As a kid they were fun to watch, reading later of the incredible creativity is pure joy....... Best to all of you developers: A favorite quote from Joe Rusz in R&T: Bring back the unfair advantage! I'm doing it one FE at a time.

Tim

Tomtall

Default Engine #12

OK --------------------- This next engine was a race engine that was never raced. Can anyone tell us what make,size and maybe year this engine is? For a bonus can you tell us why it could never be raced?

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokey's words..........

Thanks for reminding me about something I heard Smokey say one day during a rule book discussion I overheard. One of the people whose car Smokey was improving said something about minor limitations.............Smokeys reply was "Those aren't minor limitations, just minor challenges." He usually overcame them............of course, you didn't need me to tell you that............
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

B Stock Konig, late 1950's ... raced, just not in the US

They were legal in Canada and Europe, but Stock never really caught on in Europe
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig B Stock....

Just by looking at it, I would think the carb placement would be a bad situation. They would be the first parts to get washed down in a turn even if you were out in front. Just a guess.
    Charley Bradley

Thread Information