Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Tomtall

Default Engine #12 Answer

Well ------------- BRF's Sam Cullis is absolutly correct. It is a "Konig" B stock racer from 1957. This class motor by "Konig" however was never approved by APBA for competition in the "B" stock class. This particular engine that is owned and on display by Mark Suter has a interesting history. Read all about it below.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default You would not believe the number of relatives Smokey has up here!

I grew up with a bunch of Smokey's self proclaimed relatives up here with the same extact spelling of name and same origin! LOL! They too, all these self proclaimed cousins were very unabashed about their claims to him being related to them that would have brought smiles to most as they were all farmboys and none of them were at all that inventive but they were always close knit and a very determined bunch Smokey's relatives or not!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default B Stock Konig

I had the opportunity to race a B stock Konig here in Canada for a couple of years during my well spent but under-funded youth. Considering the 11 ft 3 in hydro I ran it on, and propellor selection of 1, it was reasonably competitive, running mid-field or a little bit better. There was another one here, and if I remember correctly, from Strathroy Ontario (#59 ??) that was competitive and could win. Merc drivers hated us.

The B stock Konig shared most of it's parts with the HRE 3 cyl 30 cu in C motor. Same carb, crank, case, cylinder, piston and rods. I used to think that the HRE engine was just a B stock engine with a cylinder added, but now suspect that it may have been the other may around. The dual Amel carb setup is the same as the HRE, but I believe that after the first year, Konig used the single carb , and crankcase as used on the 2 cyl CM deflector pistoned C engine. And again, if I remember correctly, the single carb was a 28mm Konig carb on the B and a 30mm on the C.

Post Thanks / Like

Default B stock konig

Number 59 was Fred Ramsey from Strathroy,Ont. We raced a local class, 2 cyl.unlimited and Fred's Konig would outrun a B Quincy.

Tomtall

Default Engine #13

OK --------------- These next engines pictured are a "built for fun" engine.

Several different make of antique outboard engines are turned into mod engines for fun competition between club members. These engines were usally built and sold in large numbers in their day so parts are abundent still to tinker to get the most out of them. Pictured below are two examples of such engines.

Can you name what these two engines were in their day and possibly what mods may have been done to them?

Good Luck!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Class B Quincy Flathead or B - Quincy-Merc Deflector or etc.?

When a member posts a name for an engine I get confused. Do they mean that their word "Quincy" is referring to the Quincy Flathead loop engine? Or when they say is Quincy but really mean is a Quincy-Merc padded block Alky deflector? Or Quincy-Merc gasoline fueled Modified? A few times while looking for parts you get people advertising a Quincy when it is Quincy Welding modified engine of some other make, in particular Mercurys. Confusion sets in. Sometimes dates help too in that it can rule out engines not built during that period and were still in the future.

That six piped 6 sparkplugged beast I will call it a "heathen" of an engine right now no matter what the real name is!!!!!!!!! LOL!

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ?????????????/

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    OK --------------- These next engines pictured are a "built for fun" engine.

Several different make of antique outboard engines are turned into mod engines for fun competition between club members. These engines were usally built and sold in large numbers in their day so parts are abundent still to tinker to get the most out of them. Pictured below are two examples of such engines.

Can you name what these two engines were in their day and possibly what mods may have been done to them?

Good Luck!
    .................................................. ...............................................
    The one with the green top, i think it's a Wizard (mercury) .On second thought ,maybe even an Elgin , by West Bend
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 12-08-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: stupidity ?

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor ID

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges View Post
    .................................................. ...............................................
    The one with the green top, i think it's a Wizard (mercury) .On second thought ,maybe even an Elgin , by West Bend
    Tom,
    Since I know a lot about each, I won't say anything, but when no one can ID the 6 piper, I'll chime in.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Tom,
    Since I know a lot about each, I won't say anything, but when no one can ID the 6 piper, I'll chime in.
    Elgin, and Evinrude Zephyr 5.4 hp

Tomtall

Default Engine #13 Answer

Well ------------- Roy and Brian are correct. Great Job!

The green mod engine started out as a 3.5 hp Elgin. The engine is Mark Suters and with the help of Roger Dykhouse was upgraded to who knows how much horsepower. Just a fun build up. The build up sheet is posted below on what was done to it.

The second engine is a Roger Dykhouse special. He built the "Zepher Super Six" as a gag engine for the 2008 Constatine meet. It is actually a moded 4 cylinder Zepher with 2 extra pipes and 2 extra spark plugs added to make people scratch their heads. It worked. The engine does run and well. Dick Gorz even made up a fake model sheet for Rodgers engine which in in Adobe Reader format at the bottom link.

The second picture is of Roger and Mark recieving their "Dunking Award" at the fall AOMCI meet. It seems the two of them went for a swim off the back of a boat this summer without intending to.

Thread Information