Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mk75h

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Hi John & Co.,

Those are my best FE powerheads. The spare on the bench now belongs to Mike Ross. The other is my best FE on a fabricated tower that Bud and I built in 1993. That October it went 101 MPH (downwind) on my 12' Ropp and scared the %4#@* out of me. I knew right away a larger boat was needed........ See the "secrets of the Mod 50" thread.

As for your beautiful 75H clone, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure looks like a Merc 700 powerhead under the wraps. Great twin triple exhaust tuning. Again, great workmanship on that beast. Have you run it yet? Better get used to 95+ if it's done right!

Cool stuff!
    Yup, it's a 700, always put the most c.i.'s under the shrouding that you can fit.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Set a record here for cold yesterday!

Arcticracer:

We just set a new 100 year record yesterday with a minus 48 degrees below zero C! Ever ask yourself how a Mod Merc or OMC would run ifn you cut a hole in the ice, dunked it, started it and rev'd it at that low temperature? The summer jetting would be too lean for sure! LOL!

See that dear readers, after going on 6 weeks of really far below normal temperatures goofy ideas like that pop out because cabin fever is setting in! By the time the temperature goes up to just the freezing mark people are gonna don shorts, T-shirts and go partyin in the streets after not being dumped on by snow at all its just been too cold for too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would You Quit It About the Weather???

I'm dying of heat stroke in California..85 today and you guys keep talking about cool snow! Hmmm!

Tim you appear to have amazing machining skills...so I'll send you a prop and you can bush it...If the project seems to be working..I weld up two two blades and make you a four blade...

BUT this or these props aren't free...There are strings attached...

I want build, and this is on my "BUCKET LIST" a small outboard race motor between 6 and 12 HP. I want to use a 4 stroke like sit down mower/generator motor and I want to make it with a flex shaft..Spring drive like RC boats.. Wil Paramore was helping a little, but sad to say "Geezer Racer" is gone...His electric boats will live forever...

8 3/4 X 13, Right hand..

Deal???

I need to go shower, too hot here! Think I'll move to Needles!

Shoot me an address: Ronhill@hillmarine.com
    Attached Images Attached Images    

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default At least here with this they don't serve drrrrrinks with ice!

Ron Hill: Fry baby, fry!! LOL! The reason why our complextions are so smooth and zit free is not because of Guthy Renker's medicated masks for $19.95 or $24.95 in Canada, we look so young for years so much longer is because the other 1/3 of a year the skin on out faces is frooooozen!!

Comboing 2 good similar 2 blade props to make a 4 blade prop for development has produced some humdingers! By that I mean good ones that sure are different running from what they started out as. It is neat seeing more built that way bringing an abundance of 2 blade stainless props that might otherwise be sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 4-stroke spring drive?

OK Ron,

I'm in for the deal BUT need a couple of things:

First, the prop has to clear a 45SS gearcase cavitation plate so diameter needs to be no more than 8-1/4". Will you make that so? Bushing it here is no problem.

Second, I gotta know the purpose of your "bucket list" project. Sounds like fun! I'm guessing there's money on the table somewhere!

Go see the Mod 50 thread to understand why the prop is needed. We'll talk about the spring drive later.........

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Must be a nasty rumor. Temps are relative to the latitude of where your state is situated. Having said that, it's freakin cold & going down tonight in to tonight. They are saying it's so cold that the salt won't even work on the packed snow/ice on the roads.On top of that, they are now saying we could get up to 6 more inches of snow overnight. YUK!!!!!
    23 below zero when i got up this morning. wind chill 41 below. but heck its up to 19 below now 37 below wind chill. its supposed to be a high temp of 11 below today.

to the gentleman from Alaska. I feel your pain! unfortunately here usually the colder it gets the harder the wind blows (sometimes i think its just pissed off it hasn't made it to warm states yet LOL)

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold ?

If you just think about the "Global Warming" , maybe you'll feel the "warmth".

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All I can say is....

......thank God for global warming. If it wasn't for that, you guys up there would be frozen in a block of ice like the wooly mammoths.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My "Bucket List" is short, Really!

A "Bucket List" as I understand it, it what you want to do before you "KICK" the "BUCKET"....My list right now has one item:

1. Build a small VERY INEXPENSIVE racing outboard....

When my son Chad was really little, we were in the hobbie store and there was an RC Bud Light...seriously cheap plastic and an electric motor for like $29.95, maybe $19.95 made in China....It didn't run very well. It didn't last very long. It was SO MUCH FUN, when we broke most of the pieces, we went to buy another but they were sold out. I never saw them again.

My point fun is where you find it. Just messing with it and my son was way cool.

I have felt for YEARS that a small motor on a small foam boat that could be sold in Hobby Stores could bring hundreds, maybe thousands of people pleasure...Pleasure of messing with something simple.

KB and outboard and most weed eater boats use a spring drive, no gears and they seem to work well.

Rod Zapf reminded me yesterday, that he and Pat Gudvangen used a Pontiac flex drive shaft in their kilo record hold 72 Cubic Inch inboard hydro......35 years ago!!!

If you realize it or not, their is probably one million RC boats in the WORLD, most are now powered by small two stroke, gas burning "Weed Eater" type motors. RC boaters are very serious about their hobbie.

It PAINS me to see Unlimited Hydros want to be separate from the rest of the Boat Racing World, I ASSUME, because they are so important that they don't need small boaters...though 90 per cent of their drivers once raced small boats....

AND maybe because I can from AU (15 HP Mercury on a runabout, 42 and a half miles per hour). I never felt MORE important winning Havasu with 128 boats driving a twin engine Evinrude, that I did winning a trophy dash of Speedboat Rodeo.....in my AU. Racing was always racing to me. I recall my best racing was in 36 Cubic Inc class.....39 MPH...

Anyway, my Outboard motor isn't about money. If I made a ton, I'd be like Paul Newman was...I'd give all the profits away to PROMOTE BOAT RACING...

I just see, in my minds eye...A cool looking little boat, a little electric start generator type motor, and my 6'5" frame driving and going about 20 MPG...and some 10 year old kid flying by going 22 MPH.

Maybe a composite prop, or a Wayne Baldwin GREEN PROP on it!!!

****Don't ask about the GREEN PROP as it is TOP SECRET at this time!!!

LAST ADD: I was riding my GT Cruiser (BMX) bike over a jump once, Chad,was 6, he came flying by me like a freight trains passing a tram (Homeless person)..I quit BMX on the spot!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-16-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Bucket List" ADD: Pictures

Yesterday, Rod Zapf, Dave Bryan and I went to Apple Valley marine...Rod, thought we were going to go NON-Stop, as a retired pilot he likes non-stop flights, but I made a flew "Unscheduled" stops along the way...and you think I can BITCH...

Anyway, here is some of the stuff we picked up YESTERDAY and a few pictures of Southern California...Thems my bare feet, as it is quite warm and beautiful today. Dave Bryan is coming over again, we need to ship an engine or two, he's got an eye exam at 11:30...then, we got stuff to do....

That is our condo, where Laurie and I have just re-done the kitchen, cabinets get finished today....As Lars says, "life is good"...But I do have a "BUCKET LIST".

Not sure the temperature today, but think I'll head to Blythe and go testing Sunday with Ernie and Tammy Dawe.

Can you guess what everything is in my pictures?

Orange carton is metamucil...neeed that stuff at my age!

See my new bag, with a NEW Lifeline jacket in it....??? Ready to go Classic Outboarding...
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Thread Information