Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kurcz-Mercury 444

Many thanks for your kind words regarding my 444 project. It's truly an honor to be considered part of engine building history, and a surprise to see it appear so quickly on this site.

To answer the (original) reed cage question: The 444 uses bronze Merc cages as crank bearings only. The reed openings have been blocked off completely.

As indicated, casting kits are available, and I'll be happy to assist others with the build process. What you see is the serial #1 prototype. Serial #2 is in construction, and as a result of Mark Suters show, serial #3 castings will become an engine this winter also.

Here's to the "unlimited gas modified" concept! Good building to all.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Cool engine!
    The guy that owns the 6-Looper we are building has a Quincy crank case with the 3 traditional carb locations, plus six small openings off center to the starboard side for little chainsaw carbs and reeds. It appears to also be one hell of a lot of work.
    I will admit. I don't have the guts to attempt that one. Ya can't just go scrounge up Quincy parts when you find out the hard way you jetting ain't right. I think I'll leave those parts at his house as a conversation piece.

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

J-Dub,
    The "9 carb" case sounds like one that Joe Michelini ran back in the day on his Aermarine cabover. Last saw it a a race in Springfield Il in the early 70's.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it is the same engine. In fact I believe Paul verified the # for Ken.

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9-carb six

Thanks for the kudos J-Dub. The design choice I made was to eliminate the (restrictive) Mercury reed cage entirely. The challenge was to keep packaging tight to contain crankcase volume to Mercury factory levels.

You can build a pyramid reed six with my design. After all, it's just another pair of Merc cylinders. Fixed jetting is recommended as there is no inter-cylinder balance. In effect, you have six one-cylinder engines stacked together. Does this clear up the picture?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    I get it. Its just I haven't had the time to do it, and my Dad has the mill which is about 45 minutes away.
    In my brainstorm, and there have been a lot of storms in my stupid little brain, was to move the induction way over to the starboard side in line with the intake runners, similar to the Yamato 80. This way the windage in the crank case is working with you to improve the flow.
    Whats your opinoin?

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankcase offset

Hi again J-Dub,

Been there and done that: The offset carb location sounds good, and I tried it initially to save the mag mounting bracket. It requires a heavier, more complicated casting as split line fasteners need to be incorporated. Another downside is a huge increase in crankcase volume for front facing carbs.

The third approach I took bolts/bonds to the existing carb studs and requires no welding. There is no distortion of the crankcase, and best of all, practically no increase in crankcase volume as the reed cage is within 1/16" of the rod swing. The only thing you lose are the starter and ignition mounting features. A small sacrifice easily overcome with the excellent Roskowski ignition system.

Tim

Tomtall

Default Outboard #2

OK --------------- First thanks to Tim for his input on that awesome engine he fab'd up and built and having the chance to talk with him at the meet.

Onto the second "Name that outboard". Can you tell us what this second engine is and maybe the era it came from?

Good Luck! I'll post the answer and some history in a couple days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default What ever it is??? Its sweet!

Nice!! I think this thread is going to be highly educational! Way to go and thanks Tim, for getting it going with a bang!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Work tom!!!

I don' know the answer to the 2nd , had the 1st one but some one beat me to it , i'm glad your back on track will read with int.
    RichardKCMo.

Thread Information