Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Spy

Lemme see:

45SS in pieces, a Merc 4-cyl, a Merc contra-rotating stern drive gearcase, a fillet knife, some large hub 45SS wheels with a Merc thru-hub SS wheel. I'll have to go back to the images to see the rest.

BTW: Now I understand the flex shaft motor. I'm thinking a shaft from an earth auger might do the job. The rest is academic.

Tim

Add the Merc V-6 carb/manifold/reed cage set up!
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 01-16-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dino's Motor...

Dino says this isn't his motor...I know he has about seven of these things, but this one is supposed to belong to a guy named Gilman (not Scott) in Havasu City, Arizona...It has a 6:71 blower on it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    .It has a 6:71 blower on it...
    I think we have seen that on Screamandfly ... eye candy, but no big hp output numbers because the exhaust port lets the supercharge out unlike a 4 stroke where the exhaust valve keeps it in.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I never heard about the bucket list before....

....But I think I'll go ahead and use my pickup bed. Besides...They'll think twice before kicking that.

I like the digs Ron. The "green prop" could be fun to play with, but the other stuff will be cool too when we get back on track. Joeflow has a lot on his plate now with all the car racing successes he's had with his valves.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 01-17-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Arguement Here...

Dino is a little SHY about things...But he does have about 7-8 V-8's...we used to race offshore together and we ran twin V-8 Evinrudes...mentioned here somewhere...

Dino wants to win the enduro...Here's his mid section...

Dino was one of the first to race with a capsule, his Burgess broke a hole in a sponson and started to sink, the scorers, at San Diego, were screaming that he was strapped in and going to drown...Dino, climbed out, no problems, but about three scorer damn near fainted...
    Dino is also a "FULL ON HEALTH NUT" he'll eat two tuna sandwiches at lunch.....when you see him, he doesn't really look his 140 years...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 444 Serial #2

Today I started work on 444-2. Sawing & carving the crankcase cover and fitting the manifold casting took about 5 hours. It'll be ready for epoxy in another hour. I'll post images as the build progresses.

Tim

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default That is neat casting.

From other pictures it was kind of hard to see but only to visualize how your casting was fit before the welding went on and machining opened her up. Its a neat casting. That is a lot of work to it but who can argue with the results! Going with the same intake and exhaust porting or going to try something a different twist?

There is no doubt in my mind that to have a rules abiding version I am going to have to get a casting from you to do the same thing for a legal engine once things free up here more in 2009. The Nydahl casting multi-carb front cased engine here I dub as the Mercenfreak 44 is much like the 6 carb pyramidal reed Merc Mark 75 pictured on here are both outside the rules but do lend some approaches with differences one always finds with engine experimenters. They kind of show what could have been but won't be.

Keep all this up because you are imparting your work on those it interests who may try and for others just to inform that people with differences are always trying and doing things.

Post Thanks / Like

4 carbs are allowed on 44's in 850 Mod
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Twin coupled 4 cylinder Mercs seen here!

Tim:

Sometime back in the 1960s when the Anzanis were into a transmission coupled setup to make a 4 cylinder class C Alky like the type Floyd Harris Jr. campaigned on a runabout it appears that Ray Nydahl was also into something similar using 2 Merc 4 cylinder engines the same way and there is a picture of him with some ladies here on BRF with that coupled Merc engine in the background. Last year I looked at the smoked looking Merc oriented but unfinished mounting adapter of 3/4 inch aluminum that was in Tenney's garage fire back in 1967 but with all I got I paid no attentions (stupidly so) to the odds and sods of aluminum that came with the stuff. It looked weird until I realized with stud patterns guides that some one there was planning to mount 2 Merc 4 cylinder engines on that adapter to an Anzani engine coupler with one engine facing forward and one rearward so as to fit the coupler input configurations and differences to fit the 2 Mercs together successfully with some kind of pipes facing rearward as there are not indicators of exhausts vents going down through the adapter and who wants exhaust gases coming over the transom and into the boat!

Accoding to NOA rules at the time, two coupled Merc Mark 30s would have made a legal class F engine back then. If that was their thinking it would have been an 8 cylinder entry in Alky racing. More about the coupled twin Mercs that are unidirectional behind Ray Nydahl still remain a mystery for now. I would sure like to learn more.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default 850 Modified...........hmmmmmmmmmmm!

A Merc 44 - 4 carb with a made for racing front case in 850 Modified.

That is giving up a large chunk of displacement with its power but getting some good engineering and reliability from the well proven Merc 44 blocks. Every time I see anything much about the larger Merc 4 cylinder engines used in 850 class, the newer direct charged versions not unlike the Merc 2 carb 3 Holers they too, these 4 cylinder engines seemed to have somekind of piston scoring problems probably related to heat. Any time I have seen one for sale in the past they have had some kind of piston problems. Maybe there is a niche here for the Merc 44s gone further outside of FE rules with custom made for Alky racing multicarb front cases. Still there are going to be very few doing it and definitely less going that way than Tim's route to make a 4 carb doable rule meeting FE Merc 44. There is something nice about AOF rules in that if you come up with an engine that is unusual, but meets standarized displacement rules, out of courtesy to the racers with them the AOF has fit them in with some flexability with other racers with speed similar engines and give you a race. I am not sure but NBRA might also do such a coutesy but not to my knowlege the APBA or CBF though I stand to be corrected anytime.

Thread Information