Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BIG 3 cylinder

[QUOTE=Sam La Banco;67577]Roy,

A few years ago, Evinrude introduced a new engine model, which is as good (actually far better) than what your suggesting.

The 3-cylinder, 79 ci , direct injected 2-stroke, Evinrude E-tec, is sold as a 75hp model and a 90hp model.

It's a great engine. Very good power, great fuel economy, durable, very quiet, lightweight, and good lookin' and you can buy one today.

The cross flow v-4's have been out of production for over 10 years.....................................
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
    YES, i know about THIS engine, & I do NOT doubt you. But, i am crying over spilled milk, some thing that could have been done 30 odd years ago. It seems to me the current motor you're talking about is very heavy (like maybe 1/2 of a V-6 powerhead )and now days , very high priced . Along with everything else . Except for bass motors (V-6's)
    and small fishing motors , i doubt many outboards are sold anymore. I know I'll never buy another NEW outboard.

Tomtall

Default Engine #16

OK ------------ Here is one for you outboard sluths. This one of kind mod engine was built for an anonymous owner. It runs very well. Can you tell us what engine this mod was built around and some of the mods that were done?

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Hi Tom,

You've got to love this site! Never heard or seen of this engine before, but somebody knew what they were doing. Definitely an OMC with twin plug heads, a two-bbl front and auxiliary one-bbl at the transfers with a cam linkage. Interesting it has a D-Merc gearcase which tells me it had to make some power. Also, it appears the exhaust is totally enclosed; perhaps an internal expansion chamber? Judging from the boat vintage and the 2-blade prop, I'm guessing it ran early FE taking advantage of the no-minimum weight rules, because it's way too radical for 25Mod........

Tim

Looking again, there are what appear to be three reed plates behind the front carb. Perhaps these are spacers to allow higher reed opening.
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 02-23-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Noticed another feature

RogerH

Default 25HP OMC - Mid 70's my guess

Tom,
    I was working on a "fishing" motor for a friend and the block looks just like this one. It was a mid 70's 25 hp model. Not sure about the year.
    What I'm really interested in iss the dual coil used on the race motor. I need six of those for dual plug heads on my Wilbur Weeks RS motor. Can you get me the P/N?????
    Thanks - Roger

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...inari750-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will find a Pt. No. for that one.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default coils

If you look closely, you'll see there are four individual coils..........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Standard OMC Coils??

Roger:

I have no personal experience with OMC engines or their components, but those coils, especially after Tim pointed out there were actually four of them, look to be just like the coils used on Konig engines with the Phelan self excited CD ignition systems. Possibly they are OMC coils? I remember several of my friends with Konigs were getting these coils from the friendly OMC dealer locally.

RogerH

Default Dual Plug Coils

Tim & Bill,
    Yup, I didn't look careful enough, but they are mounted in a nifty manner. OMC does make a dual coil but I'm more worried about firing both coils from one trigger wire. I see that they have 4 trigger wires (one for each coil) for the two cyklinder motor. I'm wondering if they fired the two plugs together or alternated them. That ought to help to get better high speed coil saturation.
    Would love to hear from anyone about how to best fire the 12 plugs on the Johnson RS V6. Would like to run the dual plug heads, but also have the original RS heads.
    Roger

PS: Has anyone hit on the base motor model?

Post Thanks / Like

The coils are production OMC coils firing at the same time.
    Hint: the motor was seen at a few Region 7 races.

Tomtall

Default Roger

Many of the four stroke outboards and the two stroke snowmobile applications use duel coil wires with one trigger input. The plug will fire at TDC and BDC.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information