Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Tom Tall, I doubt its a class A.

Tom Tall:

Mark Suter has a description problem. He might have it described as a Class A Alky but the problem is that the block has the class B number of head bolts and bolt pattern (class A Harrisons used 6 bolt heads where class B Harrisons use 10 bolt heads). The Harrison B block I am restoring has the same number of bolt/stud holes at the head as his does, 10 bolts. In fact his ignition coil pack of 2 also sits on the same cast holder as the class B Harrison. Class A Harrisons as well as class A Anzanis used only a 6 head bolt/stud pattern and from the study I made are interchangeable.

It could be that Mark Suters's Harrison is a sleeved down bore to class A (15 cubic inch) class B Alky block. Only taking off the head and measuring the bore will verify the displacement. Harrison already knew from what they knew about class A and B Anzanis using a 6 head bolt / stud pattern that for class A the 6 bolt/stud pattern would do but as 6 bolts for class Bs the Anzanis heads leaked without special work needed be done to minimize leakage so on the Harrison class B engines they, Harrison added 2 more head bolt/studs per cylinder (10 in total) to surround each cylinder just like that of a Quincy Flathead 2 cylinder A or B to eliminate the head to block leakage possibilities from happening and that did the trick for the class B Harrisons quite well.

One other point is that I have had some information from others that Harrison class As didn't come with 3 carbs like Mark Suters, only 2 at most.

This why I believe Mark Suter's Harrison is not a class A but a class B Alky. It sure does not take anything from its collectors value as a class B as with a class B like that Harrison set some amazing competition records. Some one might have sold it to him as an A but sometimes when these engines come up for sale the seller might not know anything about them clearly as a result I think he got a more valuable collector engine as a result, maybe?
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-09-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: additions

Tomtall

Default Descrition Problems on Harrison

John -

Thanks for your input. I know that many highlights came out of the 1000cc knoig post I did on that engine which in turn allowed Mark to restore it as close to original as possible. Possibly your input on the Hirrison will shed some new found light on it as well. If in deed the Harrison does prove to be a "B" class engine then I will make sure the post will be updated. Until then I have to except the fact that Mark knows what he has. I take your input seriously by the way as I know you know your stuff on these exotics as well. Thanks again.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Your most welcome Tomtall.

Tomtall:

There is a Harrison section here on BRF with loads of pictures as well as pictures in the Anzani thread as well with interlocking comparrison pictures and write ups. They should help Mark Suter to positively identify if his beautifully restored engine is a Harrison A or B once he takes the head off to measure the bore.

No matter what Mark's engine is I am only at a starting point with the A and B Harrisons I am restoring as they are more Harrison / Anzani 1 and 2 carb hybrids as his more Harrison with 3 carbs as to a very lesser degree Anzani which on his seems only to be the Anzani gearcase on his. Put a Harrison gearcase on his and his becomes all Harrison and not at all any kind of a hybrid what so ever once that is done. It would then be a purely American racing engine.

Tomtall

Default Engine #4

OK ----------- This ones a little different. Pro class engine. Can tell us the make and class.

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Michael Schmidt's build of a 250 Kawaski (1990s)?

I was looking at Mark Suter's collection on the Quincy website trying to figure out if Kawaski ever made a made of racing outboard racing engine, 250cc or what ever so that looks like it? It was built and run successfuly by Michael Schmidt in the mid 1990s?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John, you were quite observant to notice the block and head on my Harrison. The reason I labeled it as an "A" is because the block has "A"s stamped all over it. But you raise a good point that the block was originally a "B". You got me wondering so I popped the head off and measured one of the bores... it was 2.057" in diameter. So it definitely is a sleeved block with the "A" displacement. The motor came from the Porter auction and that's as much as I know about its history. Any chance you know any history on this one?

Tomtall

Default Engine #4

John -

I was looking at Mark Suter's collection on the Quincy website trying to figure out if Kawaski ever made a made of racing outboard racing engine
    Your on the right track but have the wrong manufacturer.

Allen J. Lang

Default Name that engine

Tom- Is that a Yamato? I thought I had seen one for sale not to long ago that looked like this one.
    Al

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
    John -

Your on the right track but have the wrong manufacturer.
    Nicholson Yamaha 250cc, Yamaha TZ 250 road race cylinders Yamato crankshaft built by Bruce Nicholson. Bruce has built 125cc - 250cc - 350cc - 500cc and 700cc engines, most with Yamaha cylinders, a couple with Honda cylinders one with VRP cylinders and his last one was a 125cc Rossi with a balance shaft. I think about 15 engines total with more on the way!

Tomtall

Default Engine #4 answer

Bingo !!! -------------- Brian Matheson is absolutly correct. Great Job.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information