Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Tomtall

Default Engine #5

OK -------------- Time for a change. Time for a vintage production race engine. The engine below is a Martin 200. Can you name the year the 200 was introduced to the public? What size Martin production race engine was made pror to it? and for a bonus what the name of the company that made these cool looking engines?

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The pressure is really on now
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin 200

was it the Presto company? I think, they only made it 2years,( the 200 Race motor ) maybe 1953&1954. Seems like all the Martin dealers in the S.F. Bay area switched to Mercury (Keikhaefer ) in 1955 ,after Martin went out of business. They said that the Martin was best fishin' motor made.
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 11-10-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: clarify

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default It is an A Harrison by the bore size alright.

Mark Suter:

I wished I did know more of the history on these engines or yours but no, I don't know that much yet. Out of every dozen Anzanis in A or B Alkys running back in the 1960s running NOA every year in my home town there would be a couple of Harrisons too. They were in a "teething" stage that did not have the running consistency of its Anzani cousins. Until I got here on BRF I had no idea they were even related, never mind to some degree interchangeable other than by crescent stack system shape. I has been quite an eye opener for me! I wished Kay Harrison would do a lot more posting here because he could sure explain it all than just obvious speculation on my part from doing restorations.

Its definitely a class "A" Alky Harrison by the bore size alright. It must have quite the thick ferrous liner or when they cored the bore for a liner they just did so for a class A standard sized bore ferrous liner in what was evolving into a B block? To machine head CCs and shape from practice makes perfect was already there. I have it's big bore brother here with "B" stamped on it that looks indentical as yours from the outside and from wear characteristics it saw lots of racing time as a B Alky. It looks virtually the same other than bore size completely. My B Harrison block fits acturately on the A-B British Anzani crankcases. Whether my two blocks would fit Harrison crankcases interchangably with littlle machining I have no idea. From all this it seems that the Harrisons were quite evolutionary as time went on making them more and more Harrison and less and less Anzani. looks like we haven't seen all the variants yet?

No matter, your Harrison is one great looking collectors piece be it an A instead of a B. It very well be more rare as an A than as a B!

The class A Harrison block, six bolt head and peripherals I have here is interchangeable with an A class British Anzani Alky. When you look at the Harrison and Anzani threads I have here on BRF you can see why your engine left me scratching my head profoundly so.
    Last edited by John (Taylor) Gabrowski; 11-10-2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: additions

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin

The other Martin production race engine was the "Hi Speed 60". A 6 hp block with some special powerhead goodies and a special racing lower unit. These are far rarer than the Martin 200 engines. Engines were designed by George Martin and made by the National Pressure Cooker Company.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin outboards

Quote Originally Posted by mac19f View Post
    The other Martin production race engine was the "Hi Speed 60". A 6 hp block with some special powerhead goodies and a special racing lower unit. These are far rarer than the Martin 200 engines. Engines were designed by George Martin and made by the National Pressure Cooker Company.
    .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
    Same company . I just looked up the presto pressure cookers, this is a newer name for same company. I am guessing that the Martins were made by presto because of the ALUMINUM foundry owned by presto (National Pressure cooker company . ) I noticed the good looking gearcase on the Martin 200. Looks like Mercury copied the shape for the Speedmasters , because NONE of the Quickies looked like that . Lon Stevens told me 35 years ago ,that the quickie had the nose pointed up slightly , & he did NOT like that . I think that would be like trimming the motor "in" instead of out , or being perfectly perpendicular .

Tomtall

Default Engine #5 answer

Well --------------------- Very good you all are correct in one way or another. Great Job!

There was a fantastic display put on by Roger Dykhouse and his close friend (you will have to excuse me Rog I couldn't remember his name) showing the primary production race engines used from the late 1940's to the mid 1950's. This great looking Martin 200 was part of that display. Here is a little bio Roger made regarding that engine.

Tomtall

Default Engine #6

OK ----------------------- Engine #6 is dated from the late 1950's. It came from the other side of the pond. Can you tell us what make and class the vintage race engine is?

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Konig C (and that is the name of the image file, too )
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Before we get too far removed from the Martin motors, the guy that helped Rog Dykehouse put together the beautiful display of '40s and '50s Class "B" motors was Jack Gilbert. That display was absolutely stunning and was one of the biggest attractions at the meet.

Thread Information