Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Name That Outboard"

Tomtall

Default Thanks

Thanks Mark. I agree those enines were all 10's.

Sam - Sorry I forgot to rename that file prior to posting like I did the others.
    You are correct. It is a "C" class Konig. Great detective work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

A note to Mark ... according to all the literature I have the 1956 Konig C model name is "HRE"

Tom, I would have recognized that motor in the dark ... its one of my favorites.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So that was the 28th "C" motor made of that configuration. Does anybody know what HRE means?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default meaning of HRE?

Wayne:

Means "Helluva Racing Engine". That was easy.

On a more serious note, I was present at the first race (supposedly, or at least that was what we understood) where Dieter Konig raced his engines here in the US, It took place at Little Rock Boat Club, in Scott, Arkansas, at an "old river" lake where the Arkansas River had once run, and then over time it changed it's course and left several "horseshoe" shaped lakes. Same type situation as Horseshoe Lake in Granite City, Il., from the Mississippi River, where you and your Dad raced several times. He ran A, B, and C Hydro with a single, twin, and three cylinder engines in those three classes. We were told he had never made a clock start before, and it looked that way as he would be on the backstretch when the rest crossed the starting line. Within 2 or 3 laps he had caught up and passed everybody and won all the races he entered that day. Next weekend was a race in Memphis, Tenn., where he basically did the same thing. I believe this was in 1955 but I could be mistaken about that. I don't know whether Scott Smith was with him or not. I always meant to ask Scott about that time and never did.

The one thing nobody was mistaken about, was they had seen something they would never forget, and it basically obsoleted all the SR's, KR's and PR's that he thrashed that day. Very shortly thereafter the Quincy's became very competitive also, so "alky" boat racing changed drastically and forever. For someone who has always been a boat racing enthusiast, I feel very fortunate to have been present at that race, at that time. We were also told that he built the engines as the classes were being run, by adding cylinders from a single cylinder A, to a 2 cylinder B, and then a 3 cylinder C. I was not in the area where he was pitted, so I have no personal knowledge about that, but it sounded plausable, and certainly made a good story.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam, the reason I put "HE" on the card under "Model No." is because that is what is stamped on the motor crankcase (i.e., serial no. "HE5628").

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mark.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Tomtall

Default Engine #7

OK ----------------- First off thanks everyone for the history lessons. Some great stuff being posted here.

The next outboard is shown below. It's a mutt of sorts. But we're looking for the base powerplant manufacturer. Do you know what make this motor is?

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Yamato 250 with the 4 degree surfacing kilo unit. Did they call that one an "R-A"?

Tomtall

Default Engine #7 answer

Well -------------- JW you are absolutly correct. Great Job!
    And what a wild looking gearfoot as well.

Tomtall

Default Engine #8

OK ----------- Nothing real special and out of the ordinary but some BRF members may never have seen one. Can you name this more current PRO racing outboard? For a bounus can you tell us who raced it?

Thread Information