Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Mod Vp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic Mod Vp

There used to be a thread that stood by itself, called classic Mod VP. Has it been removed? I was looking for it today and couldn't find it. It seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention in the last week or so and now seems to be gone or at least I cannot find it. For those of you who are interested in
    Classic Mod VP racing, it is a class of boats that are not too fast, don't cost too much, and stem from production type boats. It is our attempt at starting a class of racing boats that can be purchased and maintained by the average "Joe the Plumber". Current rules call for a 2.0 Mercury engine, with a standard mid-section and either a pointy nose or blunt nose lower unit.
    These engines can often be purchased for under 2000 dollars complete and for not a lot more put into racing form. If you are a newbie, you actually can run a completely stock 2.0 engine and a production type boat (used and often found in the bone yard) for under 5000 dollars. As you race, you learn and make improvements along the way, as your pocket book allows you. We are determined to keep the speed in the 80 mph area and future rules will be made to hold the speeds in this arena rather than allowing speeds that will allow the boats to go faster. If you have an interest in starting racing in a future class like Classic Mod-VP please PM me or if you would like, call me at (310) 488-3563. This proposed class is a "throw-back" to old time racing and its future success depends on keeping the rules simple, speeds and cost down and interest for beginners and old timers as well. Rod Zapf

Post Thanks / Like

Default Endurance Outboards

At this TIME CLASSIC and MOD VP have been changed.....e-mail Bill Boyes for reasons. Changed to Endurance Outboards...

Class I might be....13 Foot Critfields....or Boston Whalers...
    Division III will 2.0 liter per Parker Rules (Old Motors)
    Division IV will V-Hull per Parker rules (Old and new motors..)...
    Division VI will be Open Outboards, 80 MPH Speed Limit (Run what you brung motors).

The clubs need more racers at each event....Division II, IV and VI can now run with Nostalgia Endurance in APBA... We can score them seperately, if we want to!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-06-2008 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a rather sudden decision that seems to have been made without any of the folks who have been involved in the Classic Mod VP. Is Classic Mod VP now an actual class only called an Endurance Outboard, Division III? Due to the death of Bill's father, I don't want to bother him, perhaps you would explain how this all came about in less than a few days and post it so that we can all be informed. Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default name doesn't matter...

WHAT I HOPE DOES is that we have a "Everyman's (women's) class".

Let "Joe the Plumber" race...

weight minimum on boat/motor, let the "driver" fall where they may in size (I am no flyweight)...

non-exotic motor choice, something that I can either purchase relatively cheap, or rebuild from a blown source...

I want to be able to play with my boat three weekends out of the month and then race it on the fourth...

IS this possible?

For example, I have an Allison XB2002 with a 2.5/260 with a coned lower unit. I would like to be able to put my 2.5 EFI power head in storage, drop on a 2.0 fishing motor and go race... My hull weighs about 900 pounds bare, 1300-1400 pounds ready to race... I believe that if the 2.0 puts out around 175-200HP that this combo would run about 80mph...

Would that work?

Post Thanks / Like

Sid, you are the "joe the plumber" I have been talking about! You are exactly what and where I would like to see this class go. Stay with us, the basic rules were set prior to the Parker 300 and can still be viewed there . I am quite certain that the rules will not be changed a whole lot from what you see there. the weight may be adjusted up a bit. I believe that if the "active" members of the Classic Mod VP stick together we can beat the concept of including the weight of the driver in the overall weight. I cannot support the rules concerning the 1 inch carbs, behind the liner, sleeved down 2.5 etc engines and I believe we can put them behind us this year. Like everything else in life, there are no guarantees but we have got to help the "little" guys, the "joe the plumber" types that would like to break into the world of boat racing but don't quite know how. The guys who cut their teeth on boat racing have plenty of other places they can go to race, unless they have already destroyed their classes by running the price of competing out of sight, or run the speed up so fast that APBA is afraid to sanction them. We don't want that to happen to Classic Mod VP's. As I see it, your Allison equipped with a 2.0 running at the 1250 lbs with the lower unit running 1 inch below the bottom (planing surface of the boat/pad) would have been a perfectly legal boat in Division III at the Parker 300--Where were you?, we can use you and guys like you to help build this class! Power on Vishus! Capnzee

Post Thanks / Like

Default out of money...

I was there for the past Enduros... I patrolled, first year in my red picklefork ModVP, then the second year in my bassboat... DIDN'T make it this year

This year was a BAD YEAR... stolen tow vehicle, a couple of funerals in the family, then the economy... lost a lot of money this past year... hopefully next year will be better.

BUT enough excuses, I want to race. After Christmas, I will be on a quest to get a 2.0 (legal) powerhead to RACE!!!

BUILD the class and I will come to RACE!!!

sid "Vishus" the plumber Castle...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch your local craigslist or other classified for a 135/150/and some 175 mercs. They are the 2L engines, they should be cheap. Don't worry about the engine being blown, their easy to fix with used parts. If you get one, let us know what parts you need. Between all of us, we probably have enough stuff to build 3 or 4 engines. The best part is that if you decide to buy a complete running SST120 or similar, it will still be worth about what you paid for it if you decide to sell later.

Post Thanks / Like

been watching craigslist all year... I originally thought I could make the enduro with just a powerhead swap...

after the first of the year I will start prowling the local boat dealerships for a blown 2.0. I don't mind the wrenching...

I will RACE!!!

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by capnzee View Post
    This is a rather sudden decision that seems to have been made without any of the folks who have been involved in the Classic Mod VP. Is Classic Mod VP now an actual class only called an Endurance Outboard, Division III? Due to the death of Bill's father, I don't want to bother him, perhaps you would explain how this all came about in less than a few days and post it so that we can all be informed. Rod
    Rod I have some ideas how you can get Mod Vp back on the race course.
    I really do not want to post all my ideas because as you know that there are those who will want to knock it down before there is even a plan together. I prefer to use E-mail rather than posting the plan. My E-Mail is Boyes.Bill@gmail.com.
    For those that do not know me I will say this. I have been Region 11 chairman for over 12 years and have not missed an annual meeting during that time also I have served on the APBA BOD as The Region Chairman rep. So i do know what needs done be for the cause and the proper procedures to follow.
    Just for a start I will say that
    1. The MOD VP name has to change as it has some poor history in some circles. Classic Mod VP would be ok.
    2. I would recommend that the Category should be OPC Divisional REF OPC rule 18 pg 100.
    3.OPC may be a hard sell as the current OPC leadership may be a problem due the Capsule rule.
    4. Special Event is an option if OPC fails.
    5. I do not recommend the Endurance Category and it is Inboard. The K&K Insurance is over $600 higher than OPC. So if this class is to be on a Region 11 sanction it will cost the club that amount over what they are paying now.
    6. Settle on some rules ASAP. No more than 2 divisions better off with just one.
    7. A leader is needed ASAP who can speak for and answer questions about the class. As there will be many questions asked.
    8. Include in your rules that APBA Safety and General racing rules will be followed if raced under Special event.
    9. Do your homework and consult and get input from your OPC Category Commissioners.
    10. Frankly, it is time to get off this subject on the Web and talking about it into moving forward and getting it done.
    It can be done

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill, that's the kind of info we need. I'll be emailing you.
    Bill James

Thread Information