There used to be a thread that stood by itself, called classic Mod VP. Has it been removed? I was looking for it today and couldn't find it. It seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention in the last week or so and now seems to be gone or at least I cannot find it. For those of you who are interested in
Classic Mod VP racing, it is a class of boats that are not too fast, don't cost too much, and stem from production type boats. It is our attempt at starting a class of racing boats that can be purchased and maintained by the average "Joe the Plumber". Current rules call for a 2.0 Mercury engine, with a standard mid-section and either a pointy nose or blunt nose lower unit.
These engines can often be purchased for under 2000 dollars complete and for not a lot more put into racing form. If you are a newbie, you actually can run a completely stock 2.0 engine and a production type boat (used and often found in the bone yard) for under 5000 dollars. As you race, you learn and make improvements along the way, as your pocket book allows you. We are determined to keep the speed in the 80 mph area and future rules will be made to hold the speeds in this arena rather than allowing speeds that will allow the boats to go faster. If you have an interest in starting racing in a future class like Classic Mod-VP please PM me or if you would like, call me at (310) 488-3563. This proposed class is a "throw-back" to old time racing and its future success depends on keeping the rules simple, speeds and cost down and interest for beginners and old timers as well. Rod Zapf