Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HONDA Racing F-2000

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HONDA Racing F-2000

Honda Racing a world first

From the Magazine..Powerboat-world.

Generally speaking, race boat drivers have a fair to middling knowledge of their engines.

In the case of Honda Racing however, it’s far more than fair to middling for the driver of the Formula 2000, Honda-powered racer, Darren Milgate, is a technician with the outboard manufacturer.

“I guess you could say I’m the driver, the mechanic and the crew chief,” he chuckled.

Darren is not just racing for fun, by the way, even though he enjoys it to the max.

He has a primary aim to see an environmentally friendly Honda four-stroke outboard prove highly competitive against what he terms “the dying breed” of two-stroke engines.

“We have all seen the transition from two-stroke to four-stroke in all forms of car and bike racing, including Formula 1, Motor GP, Superbikes and most off road motorcycle competition,” Darren explained.

“I believe the future for the marine side is four-stroke and we are preparing for its now,” he added.

Darren has already achieved the ‘magic ton’, 100mph (160km/hr).

His Honda is based on the company’s BF150, V-Tec, a four-cylinder, 2.4-litre powerhead with 16 valves and double over head camshaft (DOHC). The powerhead has been grafted onto a short, 12in midsection with a racing gearcase.

“Our team, Honda Marine, contesting both Formula 1 and Formula 2000 is a first for Honda anywhere in the world,” Darren proudly points out.

“The engine is the world’s first Formula 1-style, four-stroke outboard. “It is currently being run at F2000 specifications and will be developed into a Formula 1 engine in the future.

“We have already had discussions with the UIM (Union Internationale Motonautique) Formula 1 promoter in regard to four-stroke engines being approved,” he added.

Darren Milgate ’takes five’ on the river bank with his Honda-powered F2000 tunnel boat. - Ellen Dewar Click Here to view large photo

Being around boats is nothing new for Darren Milgate.

He stated water ski racing at the tender age of eight, moving into the drivers’ seat eight-years later.

Although only a ‘youngster’ of 34, he can look back on more than 20-years, having driven 175hp, SMOC, MOC and 6.0-litre classes.

Honda Marine, with Darren at the wheel, has been contesting the F2000 events, but has not yet sun the full series, only selected races.

“We haven’t notched a win yet,” he said, “only a couple of seconds and thirds, but we’re improving with every outing and I’m confident a win is not too far away.”

http://www.powerboat-world.com/Honda...ld-first/51071
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lars

Excellent story. I have had threads started before toting the use of 4 strokes in stock outboard racing only to be shot down by narrow minded individules that would rather wait for a slow death of the sport as smaller two strokes fad away. Kinda sad actually.
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,

First, I do not have a horse in the Outboard business and Racing anymore..
    Just think it is a very interesting story.
    Maybe Mercury should consider making a Verado Race engine!!
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lars. If Honda is really setting their sights on F1, the next few years will be really interesting.

I agree with the mainstream of Stock racers that 4 strokes do not fit into their current racing scheme. The boats are too evolved to match the power to weight advantage of the 2 stroke motor. The future may well see a change to boats like the Mini GT, but for that to happen, Stock racing will have to be turned completely on its head. As long as their are 2 stroke Yamatos and Sidewinders available, they will stay the course.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Competition is good for the sport. With Jake at Seaway and now Honda, it is nice to see competition. Hopefully, it will make the sport stronger.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what mid and case they are using..looks like the honda mid cut down???
    This is great progress and if other manufactures get involved it is only a good thing for this sport.
    Great article

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know if it is a Honda built mid section or maybe a Mercury
    but have sent a e-mail "down under" for more info.

I post the answer as soon as I get it.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Modified Mercury. The boat and set up have been around for 2 years now and is getting stronger.

Darren is struggling against the red tape of officialdom to be allowed to fit a turbo to it then it will be truly competitive.

He is racing this weekend so I will see if I can get some pics.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

If a turbo is allowed then this will all quickly go to hell. Because then you have to decide how much boost to allow which means the rules get revised depending on who is winning and who is sponsoring.

With no boost limitations, that engine should make over 400 reliable horsepower tuned by amateurs in their shed. If Honda Racing developed a 2.4 litre four, it would be over 1,000hp on race gasoline.

I like the idea of turbocharged four stroke race outboards, but I don't think they will mix well with two strokes and boat racing politics.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turbo = beginning of the beginning

Yes, a 2.4 turbo should be a k ... 850cc's for 300hp? ... that would be a real 4 stroke racing outboard
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information