Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CLASS D,E,FE,SE Modified Runabouts??

Post Thanks / Like

John, my last race was in 1989, I raced 25 hydro and loved my DeSilva 25 runabout,sold everything that fall. After finding HR.Net, and reading about people my age and older, and been out of racing 15,20 years getting back into a boat, I decided I could to, and with my wife's support!, I just bought a DeSilva CSR to race marathons,primarly 'Top O' Michigan, so I hope you "GO FOR IT" it helps keep us young??
    Steve Jones

RogerH

Default Desilva / TerrilCraft for Vintage

John,
    I hope you get back into a runabout and have some fun. I really enjoyed the two APBA Vintage events I attended this year (Chautauqua Lake NY and Clayton NY). I took my "F" runabout with a Merc 1000 stacker & SSM. The boat is a Desilva copy by Wade Terril, so basically a Desilva. It ran great and was a thrilling safe ride. Would highly recommend this hull.
    I've got a 650X and working on a 135 & 150 Chrysler stackers that could go on this boat. I'm anxious to hear how Rich (RTM) made out with his 105. Originally Pete Delackner ran a 4-cyl 650 - not sure what LU on this boat.
    The APBA Vintage (or any vintage) events are great. It's fantastic to take the competition out of the equation and have fun with quality vintage / historic equipment (and people!).

Go for it - Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images   

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Green! Green! Green!!! LOL!

I must admit that I am sure stuck on the Krier type runabouts because of my affinity for what Asburns looked like! I think I will be a coward and not look at anything bigger than a Merc 44 or the lesser Merc 4s for power even though there is a 3 Holer OMC here in progress. I think that cowardice will also stay with closed close ovals too, watching you guys do marathon knowing knees and legs have taken too much of a beating from repeated surgery would not allow for that kind marathon kind of hammering. My daughter took one look at such runabouts and said, nope, not for her! On my wife's side she always like runabouts and used to drive hydro herself so she likes the runabouts right off the hop but said, just one! LOL! Hitting our ages (over 55) does impose some limitations but I can see that by engine size some of you are just snickering at such a notion of something a little smaller especially when you see a six hanging from it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Roger H. great photos, great looking rig. I`m a little concerned about the high CG of my Desilva with the Chrysler 4 cyl, due to the fact that i have a 15" mid, although looking at your pics with the 6 cylinder Merc. I don`t think i am any higher than you. I won`t have my 105 ready until the Feb. AOMCI meet in lake Placid Fl. Why don`t you bring your rig down for that one, it will be focused on raceboats.
    rich

Thread Information