Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: B Looper

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default possible "pumper" crank explanation

I remember Harry ZAK telling me years ago that someone he knew in the bike motor world had spent an inordinate amount of time machining little "blades" or notches in the outside diameter of the crank discs on a crank in some two stroke bike. It made the outside of the crank disc edge look somewhat like a turbine wheel with the "blades" angled somewhat so as the crank rotated in the crankcase it would push more fuel air mixture into the transfer ports, i.e. generating a positive pressure in the crankcase to then pressurize the mixture and force it into the cylinder. Same principle as an internal supercharger. He never said if he found out whether this type modification would serve any useful purpose, but he was not overly impressed with the idea. Whether that was based on some personal experience he or one of the other engine gurus he talked with from time to time that had maybe tried it previously, he did not say and I did not ask.

I was around Harry long enough and had enough personal experience with his motor mods and work he did for me, that with one or two exceptions I knew he knew what he was talking about. Most folks never knew that he was very well thought of in a lot of other racing circles that used two strokes, as well as boat racing, based on motor work he did for other type motorsports that used those type engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank

Darn, Bill now the whole world know's. Or maybe not, my good friend that has one in a D Looper want let me see it. I know that at least two were made for D Looper's. One of them might have been in a motor that set the NOA Kilo in D Hydro. If you think back you might know who it was.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not My Fault!!!

Hey Danny:

It is not my fault "that now the whole world knows," as you were the one that asked the orginal question. You ought to know by now if I have heard of it, I will put it up here.

Seriously though, it is times like this that I alway wish I had asked more questions, when Harry was talking. He was an amazing person to be around, because of all the knowledge he had. As previously mentioned I did not ask him why he did not think much of the idea, and now no one can. I have always thought it was a shame that he passed away before the advent of the internet, as I can just see him at a keyboard with the wheels turning, discussing his ideas with someone on the other side of the world in Italy or Japan, or wherever the center of the two stroke universe happened to be at that particular time. He never slept much anyway as he used to work until 4-5 in the morning. Said it was the only time everybody else was asleep and he could get anything done, as he was always on the phone with someone talking about what he was doing to their engine, or what he was going to do, or what he would like to try and would they go along with it. If I had asked those questions, one would have certainly been, "why aren't you more excited about this crankshaft idea, sounds like something that might work?" He might have been down that road before, as he started working on two strokes long before I met him and that was in 1968.

Was the person you are talking about with the D Hydro record in NOA Jerry Waldman? As I mentioned on another thread in BRF, I saw that record set in Alex, if that is the one you are talking about, I am still impressed. Almost as impressive as the record run itself, was the expression on his (Waldman's) face when Carl Rylee said he did not believe the equipment being used had recorded a correct time and speed for the first two way runs, and told him he would have to make a second run to prove it was not a timing error. Waldman told him after coming back to the pits after backing it up, that if he wanted anymore runs he (Rylee) would have to "drive it himself". Always thought that was priceless, as was the experience of being there and seeing history made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankshaft

Bill,It seem's that you an I, are the only folk's that know about this. You could be right about ZAK, from what he told you, he could have known the person that built these crank's. Waldman was not the person that I was talking about but who know's he could have had one. I don't won't to say who set the record, The guy is old an just want's to be left along. But if you go back further you will know. There is one running in a DMH / 44 merc. right now.

Danny

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Without going back to look up some old information, Charlie Redmond comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, you are right.I don't know if Charlie had the crank in that motor are not but he did have one. He want talk to anyone to much, some say he still has the D Looper an the 6 Quincy. He set APBA record back then with I think one of the first D Looper's an the NOA record two times.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you talk to Charlie, Danny? I never met him. I just started racing when he was going so fast in boats that really shouldn't have that kind of power on the transom. I was at a number of races that Charlie competed in. It was all NOA. I look back at some of the competitors from those days and I am still in awe to this day. It is Boatracingfacts that are bringing the history of boat racing back to the light of day. What historian would ever think of looking into boat racing? It is up to us. The people that were there to bring it to light.

There's a lot of people who would like to hear Charlie's story Danny. And pictures would be an exceptional prize.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charlie Redmond

I am pretty sure this is a pic of Charlie in the pre Looper days. Bloise Williams raced with Charlie back in the day. He may have some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    Bill,It seem's that you an I, are the only folk's that know about this. You could be right about ZAK, from what he told you, he could have known the person that built these crank's. Waldman was not the person that I was talking about but who know's he could have had one. I don't won't to say who set the record, The guy is old an just want's to be left along. But if you go back further you will know. There is one running in a DMH / 44 merc. right now.

Danny
    I've seen the inside of every "Looper" ever built by Quincy for Gerry Waldman.
    He never had the crank described in this thread.

In fact, Gerry's engines were no different than any other engine built by Quincy contrary to popular belief.

The reason for Gerry's success was his expertise as a set-up man and his incredible courage as a driver.

Not many could fly a hydro as high as Gerry and not get "Left hand relaxation"!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Special Cranks

You right Gene, Charlie Redmond and Bloise Williams had the special cranks made by a famous Calif crankshaft builder (whom I won't name, he might still have some laying around). They had the counter weights ground like an aircraft wing and really worked at high rpm, none of that turbine crap just super trick stuff. I talk to Charlie sometimes but he won't come out, he could be watching here! He still talks about winning the 1964 unlimited hydro championship with a 44 Quincy Flathead looper and beating you guys! He doesn't have any of the stuff anymore, a local guy has his Quincy looper and it might as well be in a black hole. Sorry for not chiming in much but am too busy working on the motors and boats. Bloise is watching but won't talk. I have Elsie Hatten's 44 Quincy looper and it could have one of the cranks, I have never looked inside it.

Thread Information