Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OMC 3 Cyl expansion Chambers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC 3 Cyl expansion Chambers

I am currently in the proccess of building a 3cyl 920cc omc to run pipes.

Has anyone done this? I have had the side of the block milled and welded up to fit flanges. Obviously plugged where the exhaust used to exit so the cooling water doesnt escape down there.

What is everyones comments on expansion chambers over pure megaphones?

I will build a set of megaphones purely to run it at night and get some footage of her thrown flames out!

Everything else has been done to it. 19s fron half. Finger ported, head work etc etc. The never ending quest for more speed has brought me to exhaust work.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to talk to Tim Kurcz

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ill try get in touch with him, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Benson built some with expansion chambers too. Years ago his were among the fastest.

Both guys are members here on BRF and have posted recently.

Expansion chambers will make 30 to 50% power increase, megaphones 15-18% max.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team MSR
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep....

E mail me at teammsr@comcast.net or call me at 860-349-9310 and we can talk.

Michael D-1

Post Thanks / Like

This is a 497 set up as a FEH with very nicely engineered triple expansion chambers. It ran quite well in Reg-2 about ten years ago. However with the advent of the Runne 'pulse' tuned system, it was no longer (as?) competitive. I suspect that as the motor was designed to be 'pulse' tuned, that simply bolting on a set of pipes will not be effective, unless you were to re-engineer the porting. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Benson Built Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
    This is a 497 set up as a FEH with very nicely engineered triple expansion chambers. It ran quite well in Reg-2 about ten years ago. However with the advent of the Runne 'pulse' tuned system, it was no longer (as?) competitive. I suspect that as the motor was designed to be 'pulse' tuned, that simply bolting on a set of pipes will not be effective, unless you were to re-engineer the porting. But nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Brian,

If that is the rig that Fitzgerald ran, it was Mike Lopez rig that Benson built. Benson had some fast chambers in the time. I have no doubt the chambers, when combined with the right porting and other modifications within work very well.

There is no bolt on chamber that would give you the best a chamber can deliver. At least not one I have found, or heard of. Maybe someone has hit on something ?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Look to todays 3 Holer racing sleds for technology leads.

These days you see faster changes in technology in the 2 stroke racing snowmobile arena in North America then anywhere else.

You do see many 3 Holers with 3 pipes (but they are fully supported in sled bodies and platforms) but you also see many sled 3 Holers with a single pulse tunned manifold coupled to a single expansion chamber as the system used. Their horsepower is very bizarre.

Such a single pulse tuned 3 cylinder coupling exhaust manifold coupled to its design expansion chamber would be a practical route for a OMC 3 Holer to increase horseower yet instead of the pulse tunned manifold and dump pipe you see commonly now or the Lopez unit of a decade ago. Too many pipes you have breakage too boot where a single design expansion chamber and pulse tune manifold is a happy medium between that and pulse tune manifold with dump pipe. What will racers do? Study snowmo racing information sites and think about it.

Thing is you add more horsepower and another prop what do you do with the raceboat technology to handle significan increases in horsepower?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=

Thing is you add more horsepower and another prop what do you do with the raceboat technology to handle significan increases in horsepower?[/QUOTE]

At the moment the bout is doing about 90MPH

I have heard of this exact hull doing over 100 easily with a 31M engine on it.

I am quite confident that if I can get the boat to do 100-110MPH it will handle it nicely. I don't want to buy a 31m and bolt it on purely because I want to get the boat going that fast, not just buying somebody elses motor to get me to that speed...... Kind of got a point to prove to a few people.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snowmobile vs OMC

The technology is not as simple as adapting from the sled to our outboards. The engines in a sled are radically different than our outboards from OMC. They will get you in the ballpark, and are a good starting platform, but you will be dissapointed if you simply bolt on a set from the same CC engine.

Put three chambers on a sled that has only a 3 into 1 configuration and see what happens.

Johnsonracer, where are you from ?

Thread Information