Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1984 Laser Tunnel Mod VP 18'

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1984 Laser Tunnel Mod VP 18'

Does anyone know what style jack plate that I should be running on this boat I have a Merc Black Max 175 V6 on it and I want to know what setback to run ie. 6" or 8" or 10" . Right now the boat is doing 113km/h with a 26P prop without a jack plate, please help!!

Thanks Jason

Post Thanks / Like

6" set back from a Bobs 3in1 convertable. Start about 1/2 " above the pad providing youre running a nosecone. If you want more speed then youre going to have to do engine work for that to happen. If the engine is stock then put on tighter heads make sure youre running plastic reeds and lose the air box and put on velocity stacks. Then jet the carbs and work from there. Thats a good starting point. Elevation will have alot to do with jetting so theres no # that I can say to start with. Also too if your engine is stock you probably have WH31 carbs get a set of 46s or even better 20s just start fat with your jetting. This is your limit for bolt on without going into the engine.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Jackplate

Quote Originally Posted by hz9tk7 View Post
    Does anyone know what style jack plate that I should be running on this boat I have a Merc Black Max 175 V6 on it and I want to know what setback to run ie. 6" or 8" or 10" . Right now the boat is doing 113km/h with a 26P prop without a jack plate, please help!!

Thanks Jason
    I thought you were asking about jackplates and not engine mods, I've got an LTV they don't like a lot of set back as there is 8" built into the boat from the factory. Personally I have a custom hydrallic because nobody build them with very little setback so a machinist friend and I concocted this one. If I were to buy one it would probably be a Bobs Machine Shop convertable as you can set them from I believe 2.5" to 6" back start with the 2.5 like I said you already have 8 in the hull, the only advantage is you case run your prop higher thus gaining RPM's without modifying your motor. I might suggest you run a cleaver these boats are known for flipping backwards if you get on the trim to much, definatley not a chopper boat. The cleaver will help to lift rear of boat so air can escape easier, tunnels were built shallow so they would turn on quick which you already now how quick they are, they are not fast though without modifications to the hull, plainly because they pack air, when you hit 90mph it will start getting loose feeling after 100 it will be loose or you'll be wet, Like I said watch the trim run slightly past flat you should be good to go, hope this helps.

Thread Information