Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

haa guys,,, want to ask a question,,,was your stock/old fuel system dropping off that much at wide open throttle... did ya test it?? ie pressure check.. before trying the new pumps etc????...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel delivery

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    haa guys,,, want to ask a question,,,was your stock/old fuel system dropping off that much at wide open throttle... did ya test it?? ie pressure check.. before trying the new pumps etc????...
    All should be aware the factory diaphram fuel pump was designed with stock porting and exhaust. I didn't instrument until way too many pistons were sacrificed. That's why you see two pumps on all my manual start engines.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    All should be aware the factory diaphram fuel pump was designed with stock porting and exhaust. I didn't instrument until way too many pistons were sacrificed. That's why you see two pumps on all my manual start engines.
    Tim - do you know of any small ELECTRIC (for remote mounting) fuel pressure gauge with a range up to 5 psi? I want to use 2 crankcase pressure operated pumps on a 4-cyl Force to independantly feed 2 large OMC 2barrel carbs. rgds Wolfgang

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr Gasket 12S

Wolfgang & others,

The best value is still the Mr. Gasket 12S micro vane pump. It delivers 4-7PSI @ 32 GPH using only 2A (12V). Mr Gasket tech explains it is a pusher pump, not designed to pull. Be sure to mount it low and do not let it run dry. Good luck!

PS It's always best to use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Delivery from any electric or diaphram pumps you use should be checked at peak RPM with cockpit mounted guage (even if temporary). I'm using the Mr. Gasket 0-15 PSI liquid filled guage - unable to find anything smaller for reasonable $$$.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tim.I am not familiar with that gauge. Have you got a part no.? Does that mean you "plumb"
    a 4mm pipe from near the carbs all the way to the steering wheel? rgds Wolfgang

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel pressure guage

Yes, you need to pipe a guage to the command station. I don't recommend having raw fuel under pressure there any longer than necessary (in case of accidental rupture). Just assure adequate delivery is being made, then remove the guage.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim. Found suitable gauges, filters and fittings at pawengineparts.com. from whom I have been importing since some 25 years. For a more permanent installation they recommend an "isolator" (like in hydraulics) with their mechanical fuel pressure gauges. Makes it quite pricey though at $123 for the isolator. I admire your work. rgds, W

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default e-mail or phone call ??????????????????????

Fred, Clear up your box OR give me a call. Thanks Phil McDaniel 843-446-7767

Thread Information