Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah fred thats correct
    I have taken the lip off the lower part of it but it still dosent allow the shaft to pop through enough to get circlip on
    Cheers for the quick reply ill do a bit more playing around today
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue with mine after cutting the lip so I machined a sliver off the steering arm and I cut a pocket into the bottom of the bottom mount for the C clip, some people tell me they don't have those issues with the conversion, go figure I would.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharpeye Mike View Post
    Had the same issue with mine after cutting the lip so I machined a sliver off the steering arm and I cut a pocket into the bottom of the bottom mount for the C clip, some people tell me they don't have those issues with the conversion, go figure I would.
    Mike i took some offf the steering tube and lower of swivel bracket to get it to allow circlip to fit
    Took some time but its together now
    Thanks for your info
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys nice motor. I have a 1993 Johnson 15" like new. Rebuilt top end 0.020 over. I have a set of 1994 50 Carbs with 55d Jets, 50 Reed cages, and a 50 head. Do I need to relieve the exhaust tuner ? The 40 / 50 tuners both have the same p / n's. Can anyone cut me a 50 head to be SST45 specs are just under to run 87 oct fuel? Please feel free to cal me at 337-764-5534, my name is Bobby from Louisiana. Thanks !!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are only going to run the motor on 87 oct. it's best to leave the head stock, the more you raise the compression the higher the octane has to be, oh she will run on 87 but for how long? The SST45 runs on 100 oct. min..

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

apba rules dont allow 100octane, its pump gas only

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    apba rules dont allow 100octane, its pump gas only
    Wow you're right, forgot about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I am new here. Been looking at some of your mods to the triples. I have a 93 Johnson 40 J40EETB stock. Fresh top end 0.020 over new rods pistons etc... I put 50 carbs with 49D mains & 31 & 29 air, 50 reed stops with CCMS fiberglass reeds. No performance increase. My uncle has a 1990 48 stock on the same boat and he smokes my tail. He's turnin a 11 3/4 x 17 at 6000 RPM with boat loaded two people. Motor will turn 6500 but he stays out of it. I have same setup only turnin 5800 and I am not on the rev limiter. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Bobby... my # 337-764-5534 if you have time to talk...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xpress2830 View Post
    Hey guys I am new here. Been looking at some of your mods to the triples. I have a 93 Johnson 40 J40EETB stock. Fresh top end 0.020 over new rods pistons etc... I put 50 carbs with 49D mains & 31 & 29 air, 50 reed stops with CCMS fiberglass reeds. No performance increase. My uncle has a 1990 48 stock on the same boat and he smokes my tail. He's turnin a 11 3/4 x 17 at 6000 RPM with boat loaded two people. Motor will turn 6500 but he stays out of it. I have same setup only turnin 5800 and I am not on the rev limiter. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Bobby... my # 337-764-5534 if you have time to talk...
    Check the easy stuff first...check that butterfly's open fully at wot, due a leak down test, I know you said it's fresh but doesn't mean the rings set. Are you turning the same prop as your uncle?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed

Thread Information