Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yaaaa but Dave... 100 no biggie,,, set record at 104.5 stock front end off of 55hp v-rude,,,, 2 runs where 106.5 one way in "97,sooooo???... am hopeing 108mph is goal...sooooo we shall see.... but of course this is not comp set up close to it buttt,,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dave you might be interested,,, have a tried and bench tested inverter comeing next week specifically designed so we can run stock ignition but get rid of the heavy flywheel,,,,, just hook up to batt and it will feed the power- pack....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    yaaaa but Dave... 100 no biggie,,, set record at 104.5 stock front end off of 55hp v-rude,,,, 2 runs where 106.5 one way in "97,sooooo???... am hopeing 108mph is goal...sooooo we shall see.... but of course this is not comp set up close to it buttt,,,
    Good luck with the 108 mark. Hopefully you can make it to 110 MPH. I guess if you go that fast in Luces old laydown hydro you deserve the Kilo... Just use your head and be safe. That fast in that boat will be dangerous. I know you already know all of this. I understand how focus works. We become so focused on our goal that we often times overlook more simple to understand things.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

first thing i did was change the bottom and also figured why it wouldnt turn fin was angled away from the turn,,,ie bulk head on sponson wasnt straight,,, ran aof nats took 2nd last year,,, just messing around,,,, kilo would be added bonuss but am really trying for 100 mph avg competition record,,,or very close to it,,,, if and when i do,,, boat and everything for sale and back into retirement i think,,,??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

actually working on another v-rude with nbra and aof legal front case that i think will be just as fast on top end,,,,that one i am actually fooling with intake ports,,, no boost ports similar to my old record motor,,,but think we can gain hp without affecting torque to much on different intake port heights,,,,, we shall see,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Transfer timing

Raising the transfer ports will create a peaky engine - you'll end up with a narrowed power band kinda like a 2-stroke MX bike. I ruined a perfectly good 45SS engine that way once.

Anyway, it sounds like you're having fun, Cheney. Amazing what happens to the trips when you take the choke out! I'm heading to the shop to make more chips........ and way in need of a boat ride!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone
    am really trying for 100 mph avg competition record,,,or very close to it
    The current record is only 86. A 15 mph increase of the average speed would be incredible.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 100+ Lap speeds

The only way possible with 110 straightaway speed is a perfectly circular course and a perfect flying start. Remember the rules have changed since Mikes records were set. Now if you had say, 115 in the straightaway, maybe.... but the only way to get that is with a real Mod-50.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    The only way possible with 110 straightaway speed is a perfectly circular course and a perfect flying start. Remember the rules have changed since Mikes records were set. Now if you had say, 115 in the straightaway, maybe.... but the only way to get that is with a real Mod-50.
    I agree, not possible on todays course layouts and rules. And I don't feel changing rules to set records is a very ethical way of setting records.

I can't imagine running a 100 MPH on the Hillsdale MI course in the straights.... There simply is not enough room. To turn on the hairpin first turn at 100 MPH and still maintain the avg speed.... not likley. And with the point and the breezes it plays as you go past... you are talking about dangerous, not only to yourself but others behind you.

Good luck Cheeny, I am sure we will be hearing all about the 106MPH record.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well after last weekend tried to test bout only thing moveing 100mph was wind sooooooo........ ime figg if can rin about 106 or 108 mph straghtaways maybe avg about100mph,,,not sure ,,,but when i set some d-mod records was looseing 8mph in turns,,,,soooo,,,, deff cant run that fast in comp,,, just to fast for the courses,,, and ya have to be first to first turn usually,,,so acceleration then???... well back to tinkering on the aof/nbra legal bounce pipe motor,,,,

Thread Information