Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default e-mail or phone call ??????????????????????

Fred, Clear up your box OR give me a call. Thanks Phil McDaniel 843-446-7767

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fred

Did you ever get the 56 case with the mod 50 front end running?

Powerabout

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 10-petal Mod-56

Not sure if Fred got his "Mod-56" running, but I sure did. With only 150 lbs compression it's an animal, pulling 92 GPS on a 13'-6" hydro with a short prop running deep. A very nice alternative to the Mod-50. The only challenge is align boring to case match.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More on the Mod-56

After Rich Welch set the 850MH 3-mile 4-lap record with "Kestrel" in August, I decided to shift gears from class racing and build project "Virgo" just for me. It will be in the test tank mid-April. Will test the limits of the 45SS gearcase........

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, they look like animals prior to completion!!!!

well done.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG :

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Completion

Quote Originally Posted by 850cc racer View Post
    Tim, they look like animals prior to completion!!!!

well done.
    Ahhh, just found the completed image. May have been posted before(?). Anyway I can't wait to run the turbo 56.........

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

dont see a adjustable waste gate tim???... stories of old turbos... when let off throttle engine just kept going deff need pop off valve,,,...

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A "real hustler".

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    After Rich Welch set the 850MH 3-mile 4-lap record with "Kestrel" in August, I decided to shift gears from class racing and build project "Virgo" just for me. It will be in the test tank mid-April. Will test the limits of the 45SS gearcase........

Tim
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    Am anxious to see the completed exhaust hooked up to the ex turbine wheel-will it come across ,under the block or around behind the cylinder head ? What kind of carb or fuel injector ,is it going to the intake side of turbo ? It looks like your own design. Beautiful work- I was a full time production welder for 40 years,so i appreciate good tig work.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Virgo detail

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................
    Am anxious to see the completed exhaust hooked up to the ex turbine wheel-will it come across ,under the block or around behind the cylinder head ? What kind of carb or fuel injector ,is it going to the intake side of turbo ? It looks like your own design. Beautiful work- I was a full time production welder for 40 years,so i appreciate good tig work.
    Thet waste gate actuator is front and center, and will have an adjustable boost controller at the cockpit. The turbine will be fed laterally with a "U" shaped pipe (including a flex joint) from under the powerhead center bottom outlet (56.6 factory outlet). Otherwise, the exhaust system is complete as you see it: The large pipe is the turbine outlet, the smaller pipe is separate waste gate outlet.

The single spigot mounted carburetor is a one-barrel from an OMC V-6 and feeds directly into the compressor. Not included yet is the enrichment jet which will be located in the flange adapter. This is a "draw-through" system for simplicity/weight/cost reduction and will be limited to somewhere between 10-15 PSI boost.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the fab work. Will pass on compliments to welder Chris Razor. Among many other racers and custom engine builders, he does all Jack Roush's RR/Packard Merlin engine work; the best I've ever had a chance to work with.

Will send more images once the beast is mounted to the tower. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 02-26-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: More detail

Thread Information