Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

formeone are you runnin a thermo in the head? are you sure she is gettin up to temp?

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    anyone know why the wiseco pistons keep cracking the lower skirts by the port window??/ have tried lots of different clearances and still brake hec even others here have same prob and also noticed some stock omc pistons cracked also?? rod length or??? is there a fix????
    Look at previous posts,
    They adressed it about a half
    Dozen times.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

no thermostat,,, now running digitron with temp so will know,,,, about 4 or 5 of us have same prob up here sooo just not me,,,, mmmm will check some previous posts i guess ,,,,,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

is that with stock 49 rods or Mod 50 length?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

stock 49 rods and wiseco"s hec have taken stock evinrudes apart and seen cracked skirts also!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds cold to me, with out a 6 pack front 1/2 she will not make enough BTU's to over come the coolin system without a thermo. runs cold, needs temp to expand and make the clearances needed.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mmm thanks fred will check with temp on my didgitron and also thermo gun,,,,, wierd that also see stockers crack there skirts also on sum of the motors ive taken apart,,,,, i know it a hec of a problem here between all of us,,,, hec the one guy skirt cracked when leading the nats last summer and vented his motor,,,,

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the film clip, SST60 cases New, new wisco's, all tricked out inside. she's got a thermo, needs it to hold a runnin temp. the 75hp thermo set up is trick, got a thermo and two relief valves, if you don't have a Mod50 front 1/2 setup, you need a thermo. or she will not get up to temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred are you running the stock reed set up on that sst60 or is that a mod56.i have been toying around with differnt reeds for the stock cages like differnt reed meterial like carbon fiber,plastic,custom cut metal just about every thing you can think of. Is that going on a raft for somebody?

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, goin on a SLT. on the reed block, i like the two stage reeds, with one big bottom reed, and cut the ribs and webbin out of the block, for more volume over the stock block.

she's in deep in the tank, did well anyway,the fuel pump don't like to pull through the filter, i put her back in the tank the next day, she ran better

Thread Information