Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pressure confirmation

Do you have a fuel pressure guage in sight while operating? If not, install one. This will take the guesswork out of your fuel supply tuning.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the psi is movin around, i set it at 3 1/2, come back later, fire the pump and it's 4psi,? not consistent. She's a handfull even runnin way way fat. be ropein her to the trailer and makin some pulls.? be lookin these carbs over real good.retest the pump.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

goin to the barn and pull them carbs now, take them to the shop

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Duct tape

After you go through the carbs, duct tape the pressure guage where you can see it - tiller? Some variation will happen as engine demand fluctuates. So long as it doesn't go too high (pushing needles off seats) you should be OK.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

?, that oversized pump musta loosen the seats,?????????, wow, never seen that before, i'll fire her up at 7:31am tomorrow , at the ramp. see how she goes

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pump concern

Hey Fred (& others),

Was testing a Yam 70 yesterday built for an X-class SLT racer and took my first ride. The engine is an animal - he can't use all the power - and needs more prop. Problem was the 12S fuel pump failed after running low on fuel. Made buzzing noise but delivered no pressure. Had the same happen testing my hydro last fall. Will call Mr. Gasket tech today to check it out and report. Be careful not to run the pump dry. Good luck!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant say I love Yams but I do like the carbs

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pump mounting critical

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Hey Fred (& others),

Was testing a Yam 70 yesterday built for an X-class SLT racer and took my first ride. The engine is an animal - he can't use all the power - and needs more prop. Problem was the 12S fuel pump failed after running low on fuel. Made buzzing noise but delivered no pressure. Had the same happen testing my hydro last fall. Will call Mr. Gasket tech today to check it out and report. Be careful not to run the pump dry. Good luck!

Tim
    IMPORTANT!!! Regarding the Mr. Gasket 12S (32 GPH) and 42S (42 GPH) micro electric pumps: These fuel pumps are push only mini vane pumps which are cooled and lubricated by the fuel they deliver. They cannot be run dry for any length of time or will fail.

Mr. Gasket tech service recommends gravity feed and mounting the pump at a 45 degree postion to keep fuel in the pump in the event of a run-dry situation (go to www.mrgasket.com for details). My hydro has a mounting position about midway through the tank, so it was initially fed, but failed when a driver ran the tank empty. The Yam has the pump engine mounted, primer bulb fed, and predictably failed when run empty.

Time to re-locate your pumps!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like its time for a different pump maybe!!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

?, i did get out, she ran a bit better but still flooded out. i'm pullin them carbs off, got a new set of 1 3/16 carbs tryin them. ?

Thread Information