Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim Kurcz, thanks man, that bypass regulator made it work, in the test tank. goin back on the hull tomorrow. see if i can get that ride around Minot light been lookin for. i'll snap some shots of the reg set up

you the Man,
    thanks
    FF

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mod 50 rods 378275 ?

Arn't the rods that work with McDaniels pistons 1968 and newer 40hp twin rods p# 378375 ?

Post Thanks / Like

mod 50? yeh i gots one

Post Thanks / Like

Fred your threads a little bit quiet. you were going to bring your mod 50 back to life?? has that happened?

i cant wait to bring mine to life for the first time ever!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hey 850cc,
    fuel regulator was a problem, she needed a return line so the fuel pressure does not back up and spike, fuel volume also was a problem after 5000.
    i work on boats all day every day, not speed boats, i call them couch boats. i had to take it back off the boat and put her in the tank, i could not work out her problems and drive the hull at the same time. she slammed off the deck once really good. she make the best pull at 20deg

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

i only got to make two pulls on this new regulator set up, the wind was blowin inland at about 20mph, so i had to hold her up so not to blow over, got a ways out to Minot light, feelin good that i could make it the rest of the way with no trouble, i made my turn, 180, lined up with the channel and rolled it ON, helled her up at about 7800, punched it two or three time to see if she was guna wash out, the power was still there, i knew the harbor Master be comin to get me after that pull, (ya they was hearin it down town) So only had time for One More Pull, at about the same distance, pushed it harder, she was pullin 8000 last i looked, i let her run up for a bit more, (the inlet openin in the breaker wall was comin up fast than ever before, ever) it's gettin cold now, most everbodys out of the water, the harbor Master was comin around the ben with the blue light on, i chugged over, she reminded me of the many times she has reminded me NOT to burn through there. dam if i don't just love to poach that piece O' water Impressive is was what i was feelin.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Fred, well it sounds like she's going well. was the fuel pressure spkiking sky high wiht no return? what was the acceleration like? i bet you cant wait for the weather to warm up!!
    i should have my Mod 50 in the next 24hrs. i have a few days off so ill be building MOD 50!! should be ready to light her up on the weekend.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuel return

Glad to hear you're spooling now, Fred. Wish I'd figured out the return fuel system years ago - would have saved boxes-o-pistons! Mostly I'll run the engine to 8000+/-200 - seems to like it there. On a short course I'll prop down and have seen 8800, but it's over the peak at 8500. I don't recommend holding there long; remember where those rods came from!

Good luck in the spring.

Tim

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

acceleration was right on, responded to all throttle inputs. was peddlin it a bunch on the way out. didn't mind off shore style on and off the peddle.

on the dyno hp peaks at 7400, she holds on to the peak to 7900, at 8000 she's just startin down the backside of the curve

Post Thanks / Like

sounds good fred!! im sure it'll make my hull super quick.

well i started playing with mine last night, just getting all the bullets and rods the same..

Thread Information