Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default green grass and 60hp blocks

Fred, how do ya git da grass to be green this time of year in taxachusits?
    Also If I'm ot mistaken "formeones" pictures with the jap bike reed boxes arn't they a 60hp/49 block 70 or 71 without the tuned exhaust ??
    I've been playing around with a 60hp block . the transfer ports are the same hieght as the apba specs for SST-60 the aux transfer only requires a little shaping to get to sst-60 specs
    I like the big square exhaust box and thick metal bridges ,easy to get to for moding. I'm even thinking of running the distributor cap and try an MSD spark box see if the multi sparks helps mid range punch

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Very nice

Hows the crankcase volume
    smaller, same, or bigger?
    Cheers
    Is this legal in APBA 850CCMH ? If it is, it shouldn't be. We already are going fast enough for John Palmquist to want us in capsule boats. We bump it up a few more MPH and we will be mandated by the insurance to run capsules. I am not in favor of that at all.

If you can't get an 49 cuber to run mid to high 90's already you need to buy some props and test a lot. Also, this adds some cost to the class. I hear people are paying some big bucks to have someone machine parts already. I feel this is getting to expensive for the average person to race it. Nobody should need to pay a guy 7K to build a engine. This will kill the class in the long run. For those of us lucky enough to be able to do the work ourselves and save the money it is good, but we need to think about the ones who want to race it and can't because they lack certain mechanical abilities. I feel if this is legal, it should be not be.

Cheney, not a shot at you at all, you know as well as i do this helps, and what the outcome will be. And I also admire your work, I love work done with hand tools. All my engines are done with dremmel tools and files, and whatever else works that fits in the tool tray. No machine shop here. No need to. They are easy motors to work on. Certain things might require a mill, or boring machine, but bore jobs in one of these should not cost more than $30 a hole from any local machine shop. I never have paid over that from any place and I didn't even dicker price.

So if this is legal, why ? There is a division for all this fancy work, it is called Pro. Anything goes, bore and storke basically. It is a tinkerers dream category. If you like exotic engines, and making them faster than stock form, you should try the Pro category. Lots of exotics in that division, and they are fast. I love Pro. It is neat to see what people come up with. Again, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just pointing out an obvious flaw in the Mod 850CCMH rules should what Chenny shows is legal.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hey there David, not sure just what class Powerabout is runnin. But i can some what understand your point,i'm not to sure life will ever be video game style my self. any way the idea that you could "Make to much power" and or "go to fast"
    is for sure not the idea hear. but any hp makin ideas you got be happy to hear them.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

The way I read the rule book it is legal.

The rule book says you must present a block that is recognizable as one of the 850/FE motors and certain "made for racing" parts are not allowed. But then it clearly says you can modify anything that is not covered by the Tech rules. You have to have the right carbs and the right number of reeds ... but there is nothing about having stock cages, cages from something else, hand made cages or cutting and re aligning things by hand.

I thought the prohibitions we had in the FE rules were to allow things like this that anyone with imagination could produce and exclude limited production racing parts that are hard to find.

I have doubts that this by itself would go any faster than a few boats are already going ... but if it were combined with some of what is already out there ... its probably a major leap ... again.

I have not heard of anyone paying $7,000 for machine work on a FE. I think I have heard of people asking that much for a whole motor they wanted to sell ... but we all know you can go as fast as Vicky's boat for half or less, it was a case of someone overestimating the value of what they had.

I think we have already passed the line for killing FE as a class and need to look at restrictions to slow it back down to the speeds it was running 10 years ago to get numbers back up.

I saw Fitzgerald once, Horn not at all, Heffentreyer is out, Luce is running runabout, Reds Hall passed away (a few years ago), Grimes III couldn't find time to race ... Looking at last year's high points for FEH ... less than 12 racers raced 2 weekends of FE ... and one of them was the Mad Russian stepping up from DSH.

My personal opinion is that we should increase the boat size restrictions to slow FE down to just above DMH speed. I think bigger boats running 85-90 mph would attract new blood to the class. The alternative is 100+ mph capsule boats ... just like the non-existant 500cc hydros ... death by attrition
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pressed sleeves in that by the looks Fred.
    Why do you need to change them?

Post Thanks / Like

those photos are year (S) old of that mod 50. i remember seeing that and thinking i want one.. then i finds a brand new one

very sure she's worn out and he cant get bigger slugs?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey 850
    Speaking of custom slugs,
    Do you know the company in Adelaide that does custom slugs for old stuff.
    A few of my fathers mates have had pistons made for vintage bikes etc.
    They certainly will do one off's
    I wonder if they would do some 49 ones?
    http://www.jp.com.au/JPPistons.html
    cheers

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It might be worth checking what the silicon content was in the origonal pistons, JP only seem to do 10%.
    If I remember right high performance pistons have a much higher Si content to limit expansion.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

new sleeves, that shot is about 4 years old. runnin a set of 3.020's, she'll be as close to new as i can make it.

sounded like some good info on that class.

be lookin for some exhaust plates if any one knows or has some.

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just The Facts Mam

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    Is this legal in APBA 850CCMH ? If it is, it shouldn't be. We already are going fast enough for John Palmquist to want us in capsule boats. We bump it up a few more MPH and we will be mandated by the insurance to run capsules. I am not in favor of that at all.

If you can't get an 49 cuber to run mid to high 90's already you need to buy some props and test a lot. Also, this adds some cost to the class. I hear people are paying some big bucks to have someone machine parts already. I feel this is getting to expensive for the average person to race it. Nobody should need to pay a guy 7K to build a engine. This will kill the class in the long run. For those of us lucky enough to be able to do the work ourselves and save the money it is good, but we need to think about the ones who want to race it and can't because they lack certain mechanical abilities. I feel if this is legal, it should be not be.

Cheney, not a shot at you at all, you know as well as i do this helps, and what the outcome will be. And I also admire your work, I love work done with hand tools. All my engines are done with dremmel tools and files, and whatever else works that fits in the tool tray. No machine shop here. No need to. They are easy motors to work on. Certain things might require a mill, or boring machine, but bore jobs in one of these should not cost more than $30 a hole from any local machine shop. I never have paid over that from any place and I didn't even dicker price.

So if this is legal, why ? There is a division for all this fancy work, it is called Pro. Anything goes, bore and storke basically. It is a tinkerers dream category. If you like exotic engines, and making them faster than stock form, you should try the Pro category. Lots of exotics in that division, and they are fast. I love Pro. It is neat to see what people come up with. Again, this is not aimed at anyone in particular, just pointing out an obvious flaw in the Mod 850CCMH rules should what Chenny shows is legal.
    Good work Cheney!
    shows that you did not have to inspect others work to come up with a motor!

Refer to the APBA website for the FACTS.
    http://www.apba-racing.com/modified.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information