Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default head/spark plug head temps

just wondering ime running the digitron spark plug temp and am seeing around 220 temp,,,just wondering normal or???? any info accepted ,,,thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by formeone View Post
    well after last weekend tried to test bout only thing moveing 100mph was wind sooooooo........ ime figg if can rin about 106 or 108 mph straghtaways maybe avg about100mph,,,not sure ,,,but when i set some d-mod records was looseing 8mph in turns,,,,,
    You need to run a GPS with a data logger ... you loose more than you think in the turns ... GPS tells the truth
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS nicknames

Actually Sam, I refer to the GPS as a "liar-maker". Everybody swears up and down they are going XXX speed until you bring out the GPS....... Then like you said, the truth is told!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the expression that GPS's are so heavy they slow boats down

Some friends of mine on an extremely competitive race team that runs a lot of classes were stunned that almost all their boats cornered within a few mph regardless of class ... its the massive acceleration of the bigger classes that lowers their lap times, not overall high speed. They were amazed at how far off from their estimates they were for cornering speeds.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default huh???

well after last weekend tried to test bout only thing moveing 100mph was wind sooooooo........ ime figg if can rin about 106 or 108 mph straghtaways maybe avg about100mph,,,not sure ,,,but when i set some d-mod records was looseing 8mph in turns,,,,soooo,,,, deff cant run that fast in comp,,, just to fast for the courses,,, and ya have to be first to first turn usually,,,so acceleration then???... well back to tinkering on the aof/nbra legal bounce pipe motor,,,,

OK now, I was running right around 80 ish with my STOCK Tohatsu at Moses, running with you FE guys and you did not have 20MPH on me there, so what gives????

BTW......my Digitron temp shows 245 ish on my STOCK Tohatsu in competition...........so, 220 seems good........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok cool darren thanks good to know,,,, guess ya missd earlier posting ??.... yaaa new motor/block porting bla bla bla andtesting ,,,saw triple digits on gps.... lawrence set up of course.....yet to put my record setting prop on,,,we shall see.... moses found that the guy who ported my motor/wasnt my reg guy john,,, widend exports on block into ports in the piston ,,,so no bottom end at all,,, dennis got the tohatsu,,all apart and getting worked on now,,, still have to test all his 44xs and mods...

Post Thanks / Like

ok cool darren thanks good to know,,,, guess ya missd earlier posting ??.... yaaa new motor/block porting bla bla bla andtesting ,,,saw triple digits on gps.... lawrence set up of course.....yet to put my record setting prop on,,,we shall see.... moses found that the guy who ported my motor/wasnt my reg guy john,,, widend exports on block into ports in the piston ,,,so no bottom end at all,,, dennis got the tohatsu,,all apart and getting worked on now,,, still have to test all his 44xs and mods...
    testing and actual race course speeds are quite different..........I usually show 3-4MPH faster testing.............but anyways, get that rig together and bring it to Fall Lawrence ( I should have my FEH ready by then)...............this past weekend at Lawrence LOTS of records were broken...........tell Dennis to bring his Tohatsu over and race with the 4 Tohatsu's (plus the 44XS's) we have on this side of the mountains...............BUT, he (or anyone else) better have some FAST ****, if he expects to even come close to running with Guido's 44XS........that rig is FAAAAAAST.........I would bet it is the fastest DSH in the country!!!!!!!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The float

I'm with Sam, those GPS's are just sooo heavy! LOL!!!

If you consider that the 500cc Alky needed about 120MPH straights to get to 100MPH lap speeds, simple math tells you an FE/850 will never get there. The alkys were lighter, probably made more HP, and were lighter, and accelerated harder.

One possible exception for FE/850 would be floating a perfectly circular race course. But mass and slip angle losses will eat into that 108-110 straightaway speed. I still don't see it happening..........

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gps

I typically use two when testing, so i know if one is off the mark. What is real funny, is I do see different readings of speed on the same run with the 2 GPS units. Not a big difference but large enough to sometimes make me wonder if that change was worth it. So I am glad to have two, might try three and then I can average. It can't be any difference to the computer system Vanover runs in the 500CCMH in terms of weight.

They had a perfect circle 3/4 mile record course in FL one time.... and only one time. If I remember right some records fell easily that some thought would never be approachable on an oval course...

Of course if the Mod Nat's are ever held on a course as long as Whitney Point was a couple years ago, you might be able to average 100MPH around. That was the largest course I ever been on in my life. I wish I had the cash to prop for a course like that ! I was out of prop before I hit the start/finish line from turn one, well out of prop. I guess the once in a blue moon I run on a big course it is not worth the investment for me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that why i wanted to race with the inboards here at the first lawrence race it a big oval almost,,,,way faster i think,,,but tono avail from the powers to be....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information