Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS - Sam

Go get two identical GPS units, such as the E-Trek that is very popular in kneelers. Always use both in the boat when testing. Then report back the results after a couple years. I always felt experince speaks much louder than any amount of book learning.

And if you want to get real fancy, get three, one of a different model or manufaturer. Yes, they all reported within a MPH or two. But who is not trying to achieve that extra half MPH ?

Also, think about testing on moving water.... GPS works off the bottom of the moving water such as a river. So what you see testing on a river or racing on a river will read different speeds. Just my experience is all. Maybe i am doing something wrong ?

Post Thanks / Like

That's why speed records are the average of 2 ways
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not True.

[QUOTE=David Mason

"They had a perfect circle 3/4 mile record course in FL one time.... and only one time. If I remember right some records fell easily that some thought would never be approachable on an oval course... "

This is not true. All 3/4 mile courses are surveyed exactly the same. ie the 3/4 mi course at Yelm is identical in all dimensions to a 3/4 mile course at Dayton. It has been this way since the inception of the 3/4 mile record course (I believe in 1994.)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh Well

[QUOTE=Racer's Edge;90258][QUOTE=David Mason

"They had a perfect circle 3/4 mile record course in FL one time.... and only one time. If I remember right some records fell easily that some thought would never be approachable on an oval course... "

This is not true. All 3/4 mile courses are surveyed exactly the same. ie the 3/4 mi course at Yelm is identical in all dimensions to a 3/4 mile course at Dayton. It has been this way since the inception of the 3/4 mile record course (I believe in 1994.)[/QUOTE]

That is what I was told........... I wasn't there. A few experienced racers of the IOA described it as a perfect circle and thus the records were falling. Were you there ? What course layout would you call it if you were ? This was several years ago, I believe long before you moved to FL. I might be wrong on that though as i am only speculating when you dropped out of sight from the midwest races.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there. The race that you are probably talking about is Crescent City in 1999. That weekend 16 records fell (by memory). As with all 3/4 mile record courses (because they are all supposed to EXACTLY the same) there are very short straightaways and wide corners. It is semi-circular in shape as with all 3/4 mile courses. The asymmetries of the 3/4 course seemed to be the same as the ones that I have driven at both Yelm and Dayton. My brother set a record in CSH that crushed his previous record in the class with similar equipment and conditions. The reason why Brian and I both think many of those records will never be broken is not due to the course shape being different, but rather the course size. I to this day don't think a CSH can average over 58 MPH on a 3/4 course and definitely not 11 years ago. (I say this with no offense intended to anyone who holds any of those records set that weekend)

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

cool to see thred #1 pinned it's easier to find.
    docks must have gone in yesterday, new deck is painted, went with some trick wood, fresh exhaust and base gaskets, i used some sealer on the base gasket as talked about earlier, moda's on, got to install the tank and lines, install batt'
    and "check electric". been makin a Super Nitro, but it's not done, thinkin i'll
    reinstall the SST foot and go for a burn soon, thinkin i'll get 15-24gals of FUEL today

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

i am vary interested in them two 6-pack 56ers

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

LL100 is 4.94 a gal at this time, over hear. ya gots me some

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Evil twins

Hey Fred,

The first of the evil twins will be running this weekend. I'm shaping the gearcase and building the steering bar Thursday. First fire should be Saturday afternoon......... Avgas here is about the same $4.75-ish depending on where you buy it. Good stuff----- Ahhhh the sweet, sweet smell of lead!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    You are right, that is darn right handy ! I found a page worth of airports that sell it right down the road a couple miles, and some only 20 minutes away.

Ralph better look out, I am gonna have some real hot gas this year !!!

Thread Information