Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine fun

Tim,
    Great looking engines. Looks like you made a ton of progress since the last time I was up your way. By the way were running the 44XS and see 78 to 79 on the GPS. Have 4 new props comming from Ron Hill so we will see where it takes us.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, I think the ban on turbos should be lifted. Their price is now low enough to justify them in a class other than X. Some kind of handicapping of course, but it would be very interesting to see what can be done.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Very Cool, some guy's get to have all the fun.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Back on the Mod 50 theme
    Anyone have much data/photos on the mids/trim and lowers as used on the CC
    Is there much of that still around
    ( Must be lots in Holland?)

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Sam La Banco View Post
    Very Cool, some guy's get to have all the fun.
    Thanks Sam. If all goes according to Hoyle, the fun will be in the trigger squeeze. If the beast proves stable, you're welcome to drive it at Hillsdale this fall - there's an open test day on Friday.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Unlimited class

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Tim, I think the ban on turbos should be lifted. Their price is now low enough to justify them in a class other than X. Some kind of handicapping of course, but it would be very interesting to see what can be done.
    Thanks for your thoughts Sam, The price of turbos has come down significantly, hence this experiment. I've designed it to "bolt on" to a stock 56 - there will be no internal mods except for Boyesen reeds (turbos are notoriously hard on reeds).

Should such a class take root, boost is easily controlled with a calibrated "pop off" valve just like F1. But to be honest, I have no interest in top ending a boat with this type of power to weight ratio. The objective is purely acceleration.

Should you make the trip to Hillsdale, you can drive it as well.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Engines

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Tim,
    Great looking engines. Looks like you made a ton of progress since the last time I was up your way. By the way were running the 44XS and see 78 to 79 on the GPS. Have 4 new props comming from Ron Hill so we will see where it takes us.

Alan
    Thanks Alan, Yes, many hours have been consumed in those two beasts (and they're not done yet). Images will follow with completed work.

Glad to hear you've got the 44XS up & running. Claimed top end was 79.6 GPS, so you're in the hunt. Remember races are won in the corners; be sure to map your acceleration.

Good luck!

Tim

Allen J. Lang

Hi Tim, figured with you being quiet on BRF so long you had something on the fire. Hopefully someone will take video and post it. This should raise some eye brows at Hillsdale. Wish I was back in MI to keep up on the racing happenings. Say hi to big Jim, Jimmy and Rich for me. Is Rich driving for you now? I think you should take a break from the shop work and get behind the wheel again. Did you ever come up with with an idea how to cool the head on the Cosworth Johnson?
    Alan, glad to see that you and you son have gotten active in racing. Are you running any classes yourself? Say Hi to David for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing Progress

Hi Tim,

Your workmanship, detail and innovative approach are always state of the art. Keep up the leadership.

Regards,

Paul A Christner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing

Hi Allen,
    We now have two 44XS engines and 2 boats so I might get into a boat this summer. Been busy building engines and other things now that I have retired. Soon I will have a new Merc 30 mod engine and a redone 40 mod. Hope to run both at the Raocway Beach NBRA event here in a couple weeks.
    Alan

Thread Information