Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Tim, I think the ban on turbos should be lifted. Their price is now low enough to justify them in a class other than X. Some kind of handicapping of course, but it would be very interesting to see what can be done.
    Sam,

I disagree. There is a place for that, Pro. No need to revamp a category. But that's just my opinion. Why should all the folks running what they have now need to invest more and change the game costs ? Just food for thought. And hence why I quit racing it. It seems to be going a direction I no longer care to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I never said put them in mod ... you are reading more into the words than they are.

Please do not say that I said things I did not say
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!
    Keep the pics coming.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer 2011 racing

Quote Originally Posted by Allen J. Lang View Post
    Hi Tim, figured with you being quiet on BRF so long you had something on the fire. Hopefully someone will take video and post it. This should raise some eye brows at Hillsdale. Wish I was back in MI to keep up on the racing happenings. Say hi to big Jim, Jimmy and Rich for me. Is Rich driving for you now? I think you should take a break from the shop work and get behind the wheel again. Did you ever come up with with an idea how to cool the head on the Cosworth Johnson?
    Alan, glad to see that you and you son have gotten active in racing. Are you running any classes yourself? Say Hi to David for me.
    Hi Al,

Ahhh, you know me too well! There's another trick engine (or two) up my sleeve for this summer. I hope to run one of them if schedules come together. It will be tough to beat my own engines though.

Will pass the word to Rich & Jimmy. Rich has a new boat and one of my best triples, as does Jimmy. If August weather holds, we hope to set new records in 850ccR/H provided Rich and little Jimmy can stay in their boats!

Let me know if you can make the Constantine super meet or Mark Suters. If Constantine, I'll bring the Mod-50 and run a 100 MPH pass or two, if Suters, you'll get to see my best FE/850 engines. If neither, we'll be sure to send images and perhaps even post video for ye long distance racers.

Tim

I'll be sure to post more eye candy for you. Let

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I never said put them in mod ... you are reading more into the words than they are.

Please do not say that I said things I did not say
    I didn't put words in your mouth. I simply assumed it was meant for the Mod category as that seems to be the place where all of it ends up. Regardless, it will soon be there, the rocky road it is going down is going to hurt the mod class in the long run. Pretty soon it will be the same dog and pony show each weekend. To bad all that creativity isn't focused in the Pro category, as they have some amazing creations that far surpass what I have seen posted in this thread. Most of this stuff was tired back in the 60's and 70's in Pro. I would love to see a real tricked out OMC triple run in 1100CCR and compete with the Duck. It would be one of the toughest challenge to do in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC 56ci blocks

Does anyone know how to tell what year a block is by the serial number on the freeze plug. I would like to understand what year had the best block for mods and what year serial # G2579265 would be?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best 56 block

Quote Originally Posted by sheuninck View Post
    Does anyone know how to tell what year a block is by the serial number on the freeze plug. I would like to understand what year had the best block for mods and what year serial # G2579265 would be?
    Any dealer can look up the year by way of the model number - the serial number is not important. In general, you want the oval port block. Bridgeports are problematic due to heat dissipation/lubrication issues with the bridge. For a mod motor, any will do because you can remove the bridge if you're gutsy. Gobs of port area, but prone to catch rings if not done right. Also, you'll have to plug the idle bleed port, or replace sleeves to block it. Good luck!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Any dealer can look up the year by way of the model number - the serial number is not important. In general, you want the oval port block. Bridgeports are problematic due to heat dissipation/lubrication issues with the bridge. For a mod motor, any will do because you can remove the bridge if you're gutsy. Gobs of port area, but prone to catch rings if not done right. Also, you'll have to plug the idle bleed port, or replace sleeves to block it. Good luck!

Tim
    thanks. there is only the powerhead for identification. the freeze plug did not have the model number on it. will check for the oval ports.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sheuninck View Post
    thanks. there is only the powerhead for identification. the freeze plug did not have the model number on it. will check for the oval ports.
    Since about 91 the serial numbers are on the computer so they can tell you what the model number is

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

gots new reeds and blocks, installed

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Thread Information