Thread: Fast Fred's OMC Mod 50 secrets Thread #2

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the factory made 15" mids, you can chop a 20"

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I was pretty specific. I asked if you made mods to Yamaha 70 mid sections.... Meaning cutting them down to 15". Someone said you had a jig to do so. Just inquiring if you did that kind of work or not. But I found a guy in South Carolina that does it. Calhoun Marine.

Thanks!!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

never did cut a yamaha 70hp mid down, just took the 15"mid out of the box, about three bills, then, don't see a cut down bein as nice as a stocker.........

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love to have a stock mid, but unfortunately here in the states they didn't produce a 15" mid for a Yamaha 70. Can you order one?? Be glad to pay you for it?? I just picked up a 20" mid, but I'm gonna have to pay another $700 to have it cut down. $300 sounds pretty cheap right now.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe a used one out there. what bracket are you goin to use? oh i would not know about what bullcrap that someone else said i did, but you can always ask me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be mounting it to a Yamaha ProV 50 transom bracket. You can get the short shaft swivel for that motor, but Calhoun Marine can also cut down the swivel of the long shaft during the cut down of the mid section also.

I'd much rather just buy one already done and I'm like you. There is nothing better than from the factory.

Well that's why I was asking, I saw in the forum where you were the "Go To" guy, but I like to go to the horses mouth for first hand information and hear it directly from them.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fast fred do u have a straight in front for sale
    ?. Ill send you them photos today of the portin of my engine

I asked earilier in thread but got no reply about the straight front
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

thinkin a pro 50 yamaha braket works, yes it will. did buy new 15" 70hp mids from Hydrotec,may be a used one to be had, 300 buck was a long time ago, like 10years.
    i do have a straight moda, but she is not for sale, did see them pics, is there a stamped coin in the top of the moda?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mod40yammy View Post
    Will be mounting it to a Yamaha ProV 50 transom bracket. You can get the short shaft swivel for that motor, but Calhoun Marine can also cut down the swivel of the long shaft during the cut down of the mid section also.

I'd much rather just buy one already done and I'm like you. There is nothing better than from the factory.

Well that's why I was asking, I saw in the forum where you were the "Go To" guy, but I like to go to the horses mouth for first hand information and hear it directly from them.
    Here's mine...cut down to 15 3/8" with the P50 trim.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    thinkin a pro 50 yamaha braket works, yes it will. did buy new 15" 70hp mids from Hydrotec,may be a used one to be had, 300 buck was a long time ago, like 10years.
    i do have a straight moda, but she is not for sale, did see them pics, is there a stamped coin in the top of the moda?
    Thanks for the reply fred
    No theres none their im sure its a stock block that they put the FT goodies on it
    I have a pro50 short with trim i built it from factory parts a few yrs ago
    Also have a few trim brackets may sell if anyone is req one
    Who aint addicted to fast boats.....

Thread Information